California Judge Declares Tenure For Teachers Unconstitutional ... Possible Landmark Case!

Selene

Yeah... I'm sure you know more about the place I was born and raised in [...].

How did the Kosovo interlude come about?

Ja sam zivela na Kosovu (u Pristini) izmedu 1998 i 1999 dok je bio rat. Po noci nisam mogla da spavam zbog zvuka sirena i bombardovanja, a po danu sam skupljala caure sa ulica na kojim sam se igrala sa prijateljima pre nekoliko meseci.

Translation: I lived in Kosovo (in Pristina) between 1998 and 1999 during the war. At night I couldn't sleep from the sound of the sirens and bombardment, and during the day I collected bullet casings I found on the streets I played with my friends on just a few months before.

Ellen

Here is the sixteen (16) page "tentaive decision:"

http://studentsmatter.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Tenative-Decision.pdf

I haven't read it, just cynically, but I suspect accurately, speculating from material you provided up-thread:

Tenured academics get increasingly expensive. The school system is broke. The well-being of students is a pretext.

As to American higher education being the best in the world, as Naomi asserted (post #4), then I hate to think what the rest of the world's higher education is like.

Ellen

PS: Could be she had a high percentage of teachers with PhDs in highschool - folks looking for university jobs?

Thanks for posting the text of the decision. Very sad, especially the California constitutional provisions.

Agreed. In fact, I was also stunned by the California State Constitutions educational imprimatures.

The "right" to an education appears in almost all, if not all, US State Constitutions. However, there is not one word, or, mention of that "right" in the 4,400 words of the US Constitution.

How the Federal Dept. of Education came into existence still offends me since there is no federal right to an education, only States rights.

A...

It's like a "right" to be indoctrinated.

Lol...

The worst part of this entire educational echo chamber, being, virtually, the only "game" in town, is that it is compulsory.

The oppressive nature of the NEA, AFT and the other alphabet authoritarians is there active attempts to destroy home schooling and charter schools.

A...

Playing Devil's Advocate, public education is a right inasmuch as a person paying for a product/service has a right to receive that product/service in exchange for payment. If one pays taxes to fund public education, then the public education ought to be delivered, and the quality of that education ought to be commensurate with the amount of the taxes paid.

Says she who pays for both public and private education.

Playing Devil's Advocate, public education is a right inasmuch as a person paying for a product/service has a right to receive that product/service in exchange for payment. If one pays taxes to fund public education, then the public education ought to be delivered, and the quality of that education ought to be commensurate with the amount of the taxes paid.

Okay, I'll play along. Since you're paying for it, you have a right to militarized police, warrantless searches and seizures, free housing, food and health care for newly-arrived illegal aliens and multi-generational welfare moochers, subsidized home mortgages, subsidized college, subsidized "green" boondoggles (like $25 per gallon gasoline from sugar), bank bailouts, car industry bailouts, bankrupt city bailouts, penalties for production of low-cost electricity, and Common Core invasion of privacy and data mining with cameras to judge facial expressions and a biometric wrap on the kids' wrists.

Another distinguished colleague to the Ignore list.

Ah, the "right" to receive stolen property from thieves for you are one of the victims. This is known as a "positive right." I do the same thing to some extent--never calling it a "right"--but have always eschewed food stamps although at times I have been technically eligible for them. When I go back to work--soon--I'll use my Social Security, which I just started at 70, to help pay my taxes or gift to people who've been fucked over by the IRS.

Look, if you are at war with the state you calculate the damage that will be done to you against the expected accomplishment. I'll never enroll with food stamps because the psychological damage would break my back, but I refuse to out of hand condemn anyone who does. I count to ten and think a little first, for I have been corrupted myself. Like I said: price; everything costs something. I'm not entitled to any high moral dugeon on such issues.

But if you are not at war with the state, I'd like to hear your rationalization to compare it with the quality of my rationalization*, which I can beef up a little if it keeps my feet out of the moral fire.

--Brant

*you can't turn a positive right into a negative right--the boat don't float (if the glove don't fit . . . )

is my hair on fire?

Settle down guys!!! There's a reason I send my kid to private school. I am not in favor of public education any more than either of you. Brant, you at least, ought to know me better than that.

But I asked for it, didn't I? Damn that Devil's Advocate!

--Deanna

Brant's hair might not be on fire, but mine sure is, and what a shame because I was having an excellent hair day.

Equal educational excellence for the dead?

(Reuters) - A California girl who was declared brain-dead in December will receive an honorary diploma during her school's eighth grade graduation, her family said on Wednesday. E.C. Reems Academy of Technology and Arts in Oakland, California has confirmed they will honor her and the diploma will be accepted for her by a family member, according to a statement on a Facebook community page.

E.C. Reems Academy of Technology & Art is a public charter school in Oakland, CA. It has 216 students in grades K-9 (80.1% Black, 17.6% Hispanic, 0% White). Students score below average on state standardized tests. [niche.com]

Students Per Teacher: 18

2013 Annual Budget: $2.8 million (over $100,000 per student)

5% of students tested proficient in 8th grade math, slightly better than 1% average in Oakland Unified School District.

School's charter is being revoked on declining enrollment, poor paperwork: http://www.goleadershipcenter.org/14-0390%20Decision%20-%20Ernestine%20C%20%282%29.pdf

Settle down guys!!! There's a reason I send my kid to private school. I am not in favor of public education any more than either of you. Brant, you at least, ought to know me better than that.

--Deanna

Brant's hair might not be on fire, but mine sure is, and what a shame because I was having an excellent hair day.

It's a guy thing, Deanna, we're treating you like we treat other guys. (Women scare me; they're feminine, complicated. They want sweet lies or at least lies guys have to sweat to get them up and out.)

--Brant

but we won't pay you as much!

see how generous I am?--another whole raft of dumb material for you to come back at me with!

(if only I hadn't been ruined by my own public education--and jilted!)

PS: all those yous and yours in my post 35 weren't really directed at you personally; they were generic for any reader

Equal educational excellence for the dead?

(Reuters) - A California girl who was declared brain-dead in December will receive an honorary diploma during her school's eighth grade graduation, her family said on Wednesday. E.C. Reems Academy of Technology and Arts in Oakland, California has confirmed they will honor her and the diploma will be accepted for her by a family member, according to a statement on a Facebook community page.

E.C. Reems Academy of Technology & Art is a public charter school in Oakland, CA. It has 216 students in grades K-9 (80.1% Black, 17.6% Hispanic, 0% White). Students score below average on state standardized tests. [niche.com]

Students Per Teacher: 18

2013 Annual Budget: $2.8 million (over $100,000 per student)

5% of students tested proficient in 8th grade math, slightly better than 1% average in Oakland Unified School District.

School's charter is being revoked on declining enrollment, poor paperwork: http://www.goleadershipcenter.org/14-0390%20Decision%20-%20Ernestine%20C%20%282%29.pdf

She's qualified for it!

--Brant

--Deanna

It's a guy thing, Deanna, we're treating you like we treat other guys. (Women scare me; they're feminine, complicated. They want sweet lies or at least lies guys have to sweat to get them up and out.)

--Brant

but we won't pay you as much!

see how generous I am?--another whole raft of dumb material for you to come back at me with!

(if only I hadn't been ruined by my own public education--and jilted!)

PS: all those yous and yours in my post 35 weren't really directed at you personally; they were generic for any reader

No worries, Brant. I'm not as complicated as you think.

• 6 months later...

I could not find a thread to put the story about this teacher...

f201500153.jpg?w=770

Altice is now facing more charges for sexual misconduct with a minor; three counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor and one count of dealing in material harmful to a minor.

Court documents state, in this instance, Altice is accused of having sex with the minor on two different occasions as well as oral sex with the teen between Nov. 1, 2013 and Aug. 25 2014.

According to the documents, she also allegedly texted a photo of her "bare breasts" to the teen on June 7, 2014.

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/01/female-utah-teacher-brianne-altice-arrested-for-adultery-with-minor-while-out-on-bail-for-same-charges/#Ky7MlDYK7JUCEQBd.99

I think she deserves tenure. She is a "hands on" teacher who is instructing individual students on sex education. Commendable.

screen-shot-2014-02-27-at-4-01-11-pm.png

She's got that subtle librarian look going for her in Court.

A...

Hilarious.

"unconstitutional because they infringe on the right of all students to a quality public education" [Washington Post]

I never knew that students have a -right- to a quality public education.

Actually government has no business forcing parents to send their children to school.