Brain health

Las Vegas Joe,

Just reading a selection of FAQ questions, it appears to me that the "Grain Brain" diet by Dr. Perlmutter is a very close approximation to the paleo diet.

- Both suggest to eat "above ground" vegetation: fruits and vegetables

- Both suggest to eat wild-fed meats, for their Essential Fatty Acid profiles and other nutritional qualities.

- Both suggest against eating tubers (potatoes especially, and sweet potatoes too)

- Both suggest to limit most kinds of seed consumption due to their carb and lectin content (seeds include grains, rice, legumes (beans & peas (peanut is a legume)))

Paleo suggests only drinking water. I'd guess that "Grain Brain" would do the same.

It seems that both systems of thought are classifying pretty much the same sets of foods as beneficial & harmful.

Then paleo gets into more individual specific problems with nightshades and milk products...

The "Paleo" diet doesn't have an official spokesman, its kind of a distributed nutritional development with various leading spokesman.

Here is a pretty awesome introduction to the "paleo diet" sphere: http://www.paleodiet.com/definition.htm

Here is Mark's Daily Apple (one of my favorite paleo spokesman), and his "The Definitive Guide to the Primal Eating Plan": http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/

Oh yea, and if you are looking for people in real life who follow the paleo diet, your best bet is to stop by your local cross fit gym. Although they focus more on exercise given that they are a gym, their official diet recommendation is paleo. So the owners, workers, and maybe some of the customers will have all sorts of thoughts on how to eat paleo / find paleo foods for a good price.

Cheers,

Dean

Las Vegas Joe,

Just reading a selection of FAQ questions, it appears to me that the "Grain Brain" diet by Dr. Perlmutter is a very close approximation to the paleo diet.

- Both suggest to eat "above ground" vegetation: fruits and vegetables

- Both suggest to eat wild-fed meats, for their Essential Fatty Acid profiles and other nutritional qualities.

- Both suggest against eating tubers (potatoes especially, and sweet potatoes too)

- Both suggest to limit most kinds of seed consumption due to their carb and lectin content (seeds include grains, rice, legumes (beans & peas (peanut is a legume)))

Paleo suggests only drinking water. I'd guess that "Grain Brain" would do the same.

It seems that both systems of thought are classifying pretty much the same sets of foods as beneficial & harmful.

Then paleo gets into more individual specific problems with nightshades and milk products...

The "Paleo" diet doesn't have an official spokesman, its kind of a distributed nutritional development with various leading spokesman.

Here is a pretty awesome introduction to the "paleo diet" sphere: http://www.paleodiet.com/definition.htm

Here is Mark's Daily Apple (one of my favorite paleo spokesman), and his "The Definitive Guide to the Primal Eating Plan": http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/

Oh yea, and if you are looking for people in real life who follow the paleo diet, your best bet is to stop by your local cross fit gym. Although they focus more on exercise given that they are a gym, their official diet recommendation is paleo. So the owners, workers, and maybe some of the customers will have all sorts of thoughts on how to eat paleo / find paleo foods for a good price.

Cheers,

Dean

Thanks Dean for the links and your take on the subject.

The only problem for me is I find buying only organic produce & grass fed meat quite expensive.

Just 4 small organic apples cost me $5 the other day.

I've been on a low carb eating plan for several yrs. My weight has stayed around 175. It was previously around the 200 lb mark.

I'm 6' with a 34" waist. Of course I exercise regularly too. I feel good.

Now if I can just find grass fed meat at a lower price. A thick Porterhouse on my plate is always welcome!

Regards,

J

With government subsidies for corn farming, unfortunately when eating natural we kind of get dicked out on that deal.

I dont buy organic produce.

Forgive me for not including the reading of Atlas Shrugged in this Brain Health thread.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no magic diet. Humans have lived and even thrived on a variety of diets.

Ba'al Chatzaf