Any fans of "feelin good" music out there?

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here's something completely different.

It's Christopher Walker dancing.

You know, the guy who plays mobsters and psychos and did the famous "I need more cowbell" skit on SNL.

Here he's dancing solo like Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire. Granted, more modern, but still like them.

I remember this when it was new, I got a kick out of it. I've  seen a few parodies since then, too. (I think there's a trope about Christopher Walken dancing in his movies, too.) This recent commercial from TD bank is kind of a throwback to the Walken video...made me chuckle.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's something completely different. It's Christopher Walker dancing. You know, the guy who plays mobsters and psychos and did the famous "I need more cowbell" skit on SNL. Here he's

I like the original version (and find both songs "happy", but diffrn't strokes, and all that...) But the other one is cool, too. But why change it? Well...most likely to riff off of this, the intro

TG,

I agree. That's probably what the YouTuber was riffing off of. (The movie, not the commercial.)

Kat and I took Sean to see that movie back when it came out and I remember liking this effect back then. The song didn't impress me as anything more than an average pop song that sounds like that, though, so I honestly didn't remember it was the same song as the CW video until I saw the movie clip just now.

But back then when I saw the movie, everything was cool. I felt good vibes whenever I thought of the it. Then the James Gunn pedo tweets scandal erupted and I put that movie out of my mind.

As to stumbling across the CW video with this same song, I don't think I can recreate the context for others of my frame of mind when I saw it. This was something so completely unexpected I was mesmerized and, at that moment, I believed this was done the way it was done with CW's intention. 

I was charmed. 

Even with all the correct history and contexts and so on, I'm going to hang onto that feeling.

:) 

Incidentally, this is a hell of a good study into putting disparate things together for a superior effect none of them produces on their own. When choosing music for, or scoring, a video, this elevation effect is something I will be shooting for as part of my aesthetic toolkit. The process is to find (or create) elements that don't really belong together, but have the same underlying mood. When you put them together, this seems to intensify the mood by a lot.

This is what I don't find in the original CW video. The song gives one mood to me, CW's dancing gives another, and they are connected by the Mickey Mousing. I prefer the connecting by same mood method.

I suppose the other has its uses, though. And people seem to like it. So I'm not going to put on the cloak of snobbery and dismiss it outright. Frankly, I can see where three or four Mickey-Moused moments would have been good in the CW-Redbone video. But for the predominant effect, I know what I prefer and I now have words for it.

Michael