Barbara Branden RIP

Marc

Do you believe in an Afterlife?

Bob,

I know I want to.

It would be lovely to see Barbara again.

:smile:

Michael

Dittos Michael

I am no optimist. When they are gone they are gone. Treat them right and cherish them properly now, while you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading another obituary of Barbara (NYT), see here:

Barbara Branden, Biographer of Ayn Rand, Dies at 84
By PAUL VITELLO
December 25, 2013
New York Times

This is basically the LA Times obituary warmed over. But there is some new information, including the following:

Ms. Branden continued lecturing on Objectivism for years. In 1991, she published a quasi-memoir about her life in Ms. Rand’s orbit, titling it “Ayn Rand and Her Movement: An Interview With Barbara Branden, Rand’s Close Colleague and Administrator of Her Movement.”

Does anyone know this work or have it?

I looked around and there are entries for it in all the right places (Amazon, Google Books, etc.), but nobody has it except a couple of libraries a long ways away from me. Apparently it is only 14 pages.

This is the first I have heard of this work. I find that strange, although I admit I might have missed reference to it in all my online discussions. I have been known to not see what is right in front of me at times. :)

I would like to read it.

Michael

Sometimes back on the old solo/rebirth, after an especially spirited dialogue between myself and Valliant or his lapdog, Barbara would send an email thanking me for defending her book. Not, "for defending me." It was about the truth to me, and even in a private email, it was about the truth to her, too.

She wasn't the only one, of course, but I learned from her to make it count today. She wrote something to effect of, 'make every day count, now, while time is flowing at its normal rate. Because when you get to my age every time you turn around you are eating breakfast again.'

Good-bye Barbara. You will be missed.