Mikee

Tad,

You're entitled to your opinion of Glenn and I'm OK with that, even as I disagree with it.

Go at it. Give it your best shot--a bunch of shots--and be happy.

(You may have to listen to an earful from me, but heated disagreement is part of having strong opinions. :smile: )

I just like to keep attributions accurate, including meanings when context is needed to understand someone's ideas correctly. That, to me is another animal.

Understanding and representing someone's ideas correctly is essential. This is easy to corroborate in today's world of Internet video, audio, text and images. So the standard for accuracy is pretty strict.

Judging those ideas is another matter. Humans are complicated and come from different contexts, upbringings, value frames, etc. And they even have mood swings, tragedies, stress, etc., on a daily basis that colors their evaluations. This, to me, demands more tolerance and even more interaction between people who disagree to keep public life healthy.

Identify correctly before judging and interact intelligently with people who disagree with me. That's the deal. It's easy to say but very hard to put into practice. I've made trying to do it the best I can one of my top values for my own intellectual life. I highly recommend it.

But I don't just apply this to Glenn. It's everybody. For example, I'm a stickler with people who attribute things to Ayn Rand that are different than what she wrote or meant. Hell, I have even gotten on my own case when I have screwed up. :smile:

Michael

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've never understood is listening to any talk radio. Blah, blah, blah, commercial, commercial, commercial, blah, blah, blah, commercial, commercial, commercial.

--Brant

You description is intresting to me, since talk radio is part of my work environment.

I literally do not even "hear" the commercials.

If I am on a call, or, preparinging documents, a piece of my consciousness cancels that sound out completely.

Additionally, I have a Bose system with the "credit card size remote" and I instinctively/behaviorally know the break times and will hit mute for pure silence.

hmm I would think that people interested in marketing , may at least like the idea of commercials, and some of them too :)

But I disagree that I have an entitlement to my opinion(s), I just have 'em, if I had a right to them it would imply someone could possibly take them from me and that they shouldn't do it.

Mr Beck is entertaining, I agree with a lot of what he has to say about politics and Politics, but when you delves into his religious beliefs it tends to make me cringe a little. I can hear a difference in his intonation a verbal cloak almost, its kinda freaky it comes and goes , he is a little all over the place, or that is how I hear him.

This is why I'm a behaviorist and not a dogmatist. I heartily agree with Glenn politically, and don't care what his back story is, even if I might happen to agree with it. When people do good, it doesn't matter why they do it. Only what people actually do makes the world what it is... not what they believe.

Greg

hmm I would think that people interested in marketing , may at least like the idea of commercials, and some of them too :smile:

Definitely should have been more clear in my statement about commercials.

Some of the most creative work out there is in the field of commercials on/in any medium.

Essentially, if it is a new commercial, I listen to it for the reasons you stated above.

However, after you have heard the My Pillow ad for the hundreth time and can virtually recite it, it is enough.

By the way, the My Pillow is a phenomenal product, everyone in our house has them and I completely recommend them for better sleep, etc.

A...

hmm I would think that people interested in marketing , may at least like the idea of commercials, and some of them too :smile:

I don't make commercials, but I like marketing because it pays for radio programming (don't watch tv). I also like internet marketing and enjoy seeing new products as well as suggestions for other compatible products based upon my previous purchase history. Amazon is my friend. :wink:

But I disagree that I have an entitlement to my opinion(s), I just have 'em, if I had a right to them it would imply someone could possibly take them from me and that they shouldn't do it.

There's the wisdom of common sense in your words. :smile:

Greg

One thing I've never understood is listening to any talk radio. Blah, blah, blah, commercial, commercial, commercial, blah, blah, blah, commercial, commercial, commercial.

--Brant

You description is intresting to me, since talk radio is part of my work environment.

I literally do not even "hear" the commercials.

If I am on a call, or, preparinging documents, a piece of my consciousness cancels that sound out completely.

Additionally, I have a Bose system with the "credit card size remote" and I instinctively/behaviorally know the break times and will hit mute for pure silence.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

--Brant

Bingo! Reminds me of Clint Eastwood's remark in Unforgiven: "Deserves got nothing to do with it".

As in: "Entitlements got nothing to do with it".

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

--Brant

And look what happened to him! [i think that Sam Jaffe was the actor - Dr. Zorba in Ben Casey]

Bingo! Reminds me of Clint Eastwood's remark in Unforgiven: "Deserves got nothing to do with it".

As in: "Entitlements got nothing to do with it".

I think Rand took a stab at the same idea one time, too.

• 2 years later...
On 11/14/2013 at 11:30 AM, Jonathan said:

That's not proof. That's not the way that proof works.

Royalty checks and numbers of readers don't prove that the readers enjoyed an author's books, thought of him as a good writer, or believed that he was entertaining and talented enough to have been a successful television talk show host. After all, I'm one of the "tens of millions" of readers that you're citing, and I've already said that I wasn't impressed by him or his writing.

I and tens of millions of people have also read other authors who we discovered, via buying and reading their books, that we didn't value their ideas, writing abilities or personalities. For example, millions of people have purchase and read Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto, but that doesn't mean that they "enjoyed" the books.

See, the way that reading works is that people don't know if they're going to like an author's work prior to reading it, so the fact that someone has read a book isn't proof that they adored the author and loved the book so much prior to reading it that they decided to show how much they loved it by buying it and reading it.

J

Well J you could find out how many copies of volumes 2 -10 were sold -which numbers arguably would indicate enjoyment.

• 1 year later...