Don't make any jokes about the TSA.

jts

Jerry,

I'm ambivalent on this one.

I loathe bullies, which is easy for TSA agents to become, but I also don't like assholes making loud jokes that interfere with protection forces in a potentially dangerous environment.

So you got an agent with a loaded gun and willing to use it to jump.

Surprise, it was only a joke!

Ha ha!

Come on. Let's get real.

I think common sense on all sides is needed here.

Michael

Preventing hijacking should not be a job for government. It should be a job for the airlines. If government didn't interfere, the airlines probably would do it better than government does it and without molesting innocent customers. Molesting innocent customers is bad for business. But allowing hijacking or bombing is also bad for business. They would have a profit motive to figure it out.

For a start, how about a gun in every cockpit? How about allowing passengers to have guns? If guns are outlawed, then the law abiding people won't have guns but criminals will have guns, bad deal. That's for a start. I expect they would come up with more and better ideas than I can come up with because they, individually, and more so collectively, know more than I know and are smarter than me. Maybe they would come up with some new and clever technology that I can't imagine. Just get government out of the way.

Jerry,

I basically agree with you on the role of the government, and I agree that TSA agents often abuse passengers, but nothing, and I mean nothing, justifies an asshole trying to trip up antsy security agents with loaded guns by loudly mouthing off jokes in the environment they are protecting.

If you get to the point where you want to claim that as a sacred right, even I stop caring.

Michael

MSK,

Speaking as a foreigner who recently did plenty of travel in the US,

The TSA really don't add much to security and they do add quite a bit to annoyance.

That said, US airports are FAR less intrusive than Changi airport in Singapore.

Still, its f**king anoying.

Really.

The TSA hardly improves security and greatly increases inconvenience.

Not only that, but why keep it? It only makes the US seem harsh and unwelcoming to travellers.

Andrew,

There's two issues.

One. Why keep the TSA? (btw - I agree with letting the airline companies do it.)

The other. Why interfere with the TSA with clowning when it's on the job and something can go terribly wrong?

That's just stupid.

I don't want to defend the TSA, but it's there for a reason. So long as that reason does not appear, people think it's useless.

A cognitive bias is not a right.

In other words, neither side is fully right in this case. Want to replace the TSA? Fine. I agree. There are lots of ways to do that, too. Just don't do it by making loud jokes at vulnerability points where the agents need to be attentive to real dangers.

Michael

I agree we need to keep perspective.

One of the things we should never, ever allow ourselves to do is interfere with the super-important work of TSA Agents armed with cell phone cameras.

Air marshal accused of taking photos under skirts
10/18/2013
WTOP

From the article:

A federal air marshal has been arrested and accused of taking cell phone photographs underneath women's skirts as they boarded a plane at Nashville International Airport.

Nashville police say Adam J. Bartsch was on duty on Southwest Airline Flight 3132 on Thursday when a witness noticed he was taking the photos and grabbed his cell phone. Police say the witness notified a flight attendant and Bartsch was taken off the flight and charged with disorderly conduct.

Man, are people idiots. Imagine shutting this agent down like that!

Don't these fools realize the danger of suicide crotches?

We must be diligent!

:)

Michael

Don't these fools realize the danger of suicide crotches?

We must be diligent!

:smile:

Michael

Totally agree Michael.

I have offered my services to the TSA to conduct those crotch searches and commited to wearing sterile gloves.

I am waiting for their response.

It is a thankless duty. However, a true patriot, like myself, will sacrifice for his country.

A...

A while back, I had to fly with a broken shoulder and my arm in a sling. The TSA lady was nice about about, but she sure insisted on feeling around inside the sling. But she was careful not to hurt. I warned her beforehand that I was in pain and would scream bloody murder if hurt.