The Ted Cruz Plan

Peter

The Ted Cruz plan in the House is to fund one portion of government at a time. Start with our military and national defense. When the Senate or the President refuses to vote for our military or national parks programs, etc., trumpet the news to anyone who will listen.

Day one: The Democrats vote against or filibuster our national defense!

Day two: The Democrats vote against Social Security and Medicare!

Day three: The Democrats vote against our parks services!

The Democrats vote against funding for air traffic control!

The Democrats vote against or filibuster against food stamps for the hungry!

The Democrats vote against or filibuster against children’s programs!

The Democrats vote against America!

Get the message? This strategy could be a decent Public Relations Plan. It’s purpose is to let the American people know who the cruel Statists are: The Progressive President and Senate.

And with a majority of American’s hatred of Obamacare there is a great chance to win over younger voters. October 1st is when people will start to be forced to get a health plan even if they don’t want one, which includes a majority of younger people. I know someone in Maryland who has Blue Cross and their plan is being cancelled.

Peter

Here is a brief editorial against the Cruz plan:

The Four Fatal Flaws of Ted Cruz's Anti-Obamacare Plan

By Philip Bump | Sep 20, 2013

Ted Cruz's plan to end Obamacare is moving full steam ahead, after Friday's House vote approving a funding bill that leaves out money for the healthcare plan. Cruz has promised to do anything in his power to get the measure through the Senate, including filibustering. Unfortunately for Cruz (and his conservative backers), there are (at least) four problems with that effort, including, for starters:

1. How do you pass a bill that you're filibustering?

Filibusters, the once-uncommon procedural device senators can use to force a supermajority vote on an issue, are a spectacular tool for halting legislation. It's part of the reason that this Congress has been so unproductive; the Republican minority in the Senate has been using the filibuster to impede the Democratic majority's agenda.

But filibusters are a very bad tool for passing legislation. Here's how one Senate aide described it to Talking Points Memo: "You can't pass defund Obamacare legislation by filibustering defund Obamacare legislation." Which is true! Earlier this month, Rand Paul noted the physical constraints of the procedure. But even if Cruz suddenly develops the super-human ability to filibuster endlessly, what then? While he's on the Senate floor yakking away, the bill isn't getting any closer to passing. Yes, it brings the government to a halt, but it doesn't pass any legislation defunding Obamacare. (More on this in a bit.)

2. Passing a bill needs 51 votes.

Even assuming that Senate Democrats wouldn't themselves filibuster the House bill, requiring their own 60 unattainable votes to be overcome, Cruz still needs at least 51. (His plan won't work with 50 votes, of course; tie-breaker Joe Biden probably would vote no.)

So where do those votes come from? There are 45 Republicans in the Senate, so Cruz needs at least six Democrats to join him. Well, seven, actually, since Republican Ron Johnson of Wisconsin opposes Cruz's effort.

We won't belabor the point; the votes do not exist. Cruz's ostensible theory is that the Democrats, panicked about a shutdown threat, will cave. That's optimistic in the way a kid jumping on a trampoline and hoping to reach the moon is optimistic. But for the sake of argument, let's say it works. That moderate Dems are somehow convinced of the plan. Because that brings us to fatal flaw three …

3. The president won't sign it.

He won't. We've gone over this so many times by now, and it will not happen. Obamacare is the president's signature legislation. It has his name in it. He won't sign a bill eliminating it.

Remember, in this scenario Cruz has cowed seven Democratic senators into supporting his plan. What's the likely threat he would use to do so? Reelection, one assumes, focusing on senators like North Dakota's Heidi Heitkamp, who represent predominately Republican states. But Barack Obama is not worried about reelection. Earlier this summer, we noted that his push to ensure the success of Obamacare is his last major campaign, and it is one he will not sign away because he is afraid of Ted Cruz.

4. A shutdown won't stop Obamacare.

And then there's the last flaw. Conservatives are aiming for a shutdown in part because they'd rather have government come to a halt than see Obamacare go into effect. Except that the shutdown will not prevent Obamacare from going into effect — as has been public knowledge for months.

Senator Tom Coburn from Oklahoma asked the Congressional Research Service to assess the effect of a shutdown on Obamacare back in July. The non-partisan body's response is here. In short: "It appears that substantial [Affordable Care Act] implementation might continue during a lapse in annual appropriations that resulted in a temporary government shutdown for two reasons." The two reasons, in short, are that the government has other pools of money and that Obamacare may be the sort of spending allowed to continue. The letter is much longer and more detailed than this, but the upshot is clear. A shutdown would affect a lot of the sorts of programs that the senators' constituents rely upon. It would almost certainly not, however, stop Obamacare.

Whatever, Ted Cruz will say to these four things. He has a trump card: He won't blink. (See video below.) Therefore your argument is invalid.

The other problem is that Ted Cruz doesn't control the agenda in the Senate. Harry Reid isn't going to bring the Defense Appropriations Bill to the floor on day 1, Social Security on day 2, etc. He might just bring up Obamacare on day 1, force the Republicans to filibuster it and make them look like they're holding up the whole appropriations process.

Darrell

The other problem is that Ted Cruz doesn't control the agenda in the Senate. Harry Reid isn't going to bring the Defense Appropriations Bill to the floor on day 1, Social Security on day 2, etc. He might just bring up Obamacare on day 1, force the Republicans to filibuster it and make them look like they're holding up the whole appropriations process.

Darrell

Pete's optimism springs eternal.

Remember, he lives in the marxist stat of Maryland...losing productive businesses and citizens by the day, and, of course, tax revenues.

The French Republicans hate him since he has priciples and he refuses to compromise them.

Darrell wrote:

end quote

The Cruz proposal reminds me of the English Parliamentary system with members shouting out, “Here, here,” or “What bloody rot!”

Perhaps all the friendly fire could occur in the House. Have Cruz or Rand Paul hold one press conference after another as portions of the federal budget are funded and denounce the Democrats for the shutdown. This plan stands on principle and it is also for show. That’s politics. Then show those sound bites in ads in 2014.

Peter

From Conservative Action Reports:

American Conservative,

Things are about to get ugly ...

This week, Harry Reid is going to try to completely undo the House's efforts to defund Obamacare. He made this clear when he said, "any bill that defunds Obamacare is dead" in his chamber.

Right now, Mr. Reid is planning on amending the House's Continuing Resolution to include funds for Obamacare through a simple majority vote.

That's right; Harry Reid and the Democrat Majority are planning to fund Obamacare by a vote of 51, completely sidelining Republican opinion!

The good news is that Senators still have a way to stop Harry Reid from, as Sen. Cruz says, "run[ning] over the minority with a train" - they can vote against closing the debate, which requires the consent of a supermajority!

We won the House last week, and we need to do all we can over these next six days to achieve the same result in the Senate. The American people have made it clear that they want a straightforward, gimmicks-free Continuing Resolution that funds the government and not Obamacare!

end quote

So, how about it, Objectivists and Tea Party folks? Are you ready to write your Senator and Congressman? We want the Democrats who’s seats are up for grabs in 2014 to be on record for de-funding the government and voting FOR Obama-nation. By standing on principle we have the “publicity” high ground even if the Commie pinko Progressives get the Affordable Care Act funded.

Peter

Are you ready to write your Senator and Congressman? We want the Democrats who’s seats are up for grabs in 2014 to be on record for de-funding the government and voting FOR Obama-nation.

Peter:

Let's see, my Congressman just passed away after ten (10) terms of progressive stupidity. The other party, the French Republicans do not even run a candidate anymore.

Congressman Payne"s son, won the special election and is unapproachable to any economic logic.

My Federal senators were Lautenberg and Menendez. Now I am left with Menendez.

And I should write him a letter?

You are so out of touch my friend.

A...

Adam wrote to me:

end quote

If Menendez hears from a thousand Jersey voters he may say to himself, "A thousand who represent thousands who did not call, equals" . . . and he just might reconsider voting to fund a program that could hurt unions, large and small businesses, and individuals. How many businesses with 49 employees are going to break the 50 employee limit so that they must abide by 20,000 pages of regulations? So many businesses are already dropping health care for employees.

Ted Cruz is filibustering right now on our channel 81, which is a public access channel. He is saying he will talk til' he drops. October 1st is the beginning of the rapid decline in support for Obamacare. Not from the 70 percent who don't want it but from Democrat Congressmen and Senators and Rino Republicans.

Peter

Adam wrote to me:

end quote

If Menendez hears from a thousand Jersey voters he may say to himself, "A thousand who represent thousands who did not call, equals" . . . and he just might reconsider voting to fund a program that could hurt unions, large and small businesses, and individuals. How many businesses with 49 employees are going to break the 50 employee limit so that they must abide by 20,000 pages of regulations? So many businesses are already dropping health care for employees.

Ted Cruz is filibustering right now on our channel 81, which is a public access channel. He is saying he will talk til' he drops. October 1st is the beginning of the rapid decline in support for Obamacare. Not from the 70 percent who don't want it but from Democrat Congressmen and Senators and Rino Republicans.

Peter

I understand your belief that he would be affected. However, that is not ever going to happen.

He is a despicable Senator. I would not waste the stamp.

It is 4:41 EST and Senator Cruz is still speaking. I hope other Senators like Rand Paul show up to give him a break. He just mentioned his Dad who came here as an immigrant and washed dishes for 50 cents an hour. Why? Because he did not need to be able to speak English to clean dishes. One of the perks of the restaurant was that employees were allowed to eat on the job and he had very little money to buy food. He liked to eat seven days a week so he worked seven days a week.

Adam wrote:

end quote

Gumba, what has happened to you? You used to be an activist. Don’t let The Gipper down at such a crucial time.

Major Eyeswater

It is 4:41 EST and Senator Cruz is still speaking. I hope other Senators like Rand Paul show up to give him a break. He just mentioned his Dad who came here as an immigrant and washed dishes for 50 cents an hour. Why? Because he did not need to be able to speak English to clean dishes. One of the perks of the restaurant was that employees were allowed to eat on the job and he had very little money to buy food. He liked to eat seven days a week so he worked seven days a week.

Adam wrote:

end quote

Gumba, what has happened to you? You used to be an activist. Don’t let The Gipper down at such a crucial time.

Major Eyeswater

Cruz's story about his Dad is very powerful.

Also, the fact that as a teenager he was tortured in Batista's prison.

He was lucky to get to Texas.

My activism is still here and it is directed where it can count.

.From here the Republicans in Congresss and the Senate look like a libertariat, with the party "leaders" fighting a rearguard action on behalf of the traditional party system. And they are not guarding their rears very well.

The Democrats maintain the old system and are able to act collectively.

Adam wrote to me:

end quote

Peter

I understand your belief that he would be affected. However, that is not ever going to happen.

Too bad about Rand Paul. He's extremely smart but he's using his brains to be a successful politician qua politician. He stinks.

--Brant

dreaming of my hero, Barry Goldwater

I heard a good line recently - "Libertarians are just Republicans who don't want to admit it."

And a liberal is really a conservative who has not been mugged.

Ba'al Chatzaf

When you are all liberals you do not mug each other lol

They were black so he got a little racist--from the liberal perspective--too. That is, he was no longer willing to give them any breaks for being black, which actually means he gave up his own reverse racism.

--Brant

I can't believe folks are so missing the point, which is 2014.

There is a gamble here; some say it is Cruz gambling. I don't think that's anywhere near a done deal. We can say that all we want in the coming weeks, but Ground truth is heading our way at lightspeed, and no amount of spin is going to hide it.

The implementation of this thing is just about to hit the fan. (For example, I just got my notice this week that my provider is dropping me as of Jan 1, with the helpful suggestion that I go seek one of these not even up and running 'exchanges', and don't let the screen door slam on my ass on the way out.)

I don't take so much as a vitamin pill every day; I have no prescriptions, and haven't had a claim in a decade. I have(had)a high deductible plan that covers nothing but catastrophic coverage. I pay my wife's few ordinary bills out of pocket. My sons are no longer on our plan. I've provided HI through my business since the 80s. You think I blame my provider for this? Or do I blame the current heavy fatfingerers of their industry?

So, the 'gamble' is, as this nationwide cluster fuck unfurls over the next 12 months that it is going to be wildly popular with America-- that, the Grand Designers of this hastily thrown together nonsense got anywhere near to getting it right on this scale. The gamble is that this thing --already crippled and leaking and delayed ,,,, is going to be anything but an unmitigated cluster fuck as it transitions from pie in the sky just talking about it to actual rubber hitting the road.

What side of that gamble would you want to be on, given the track record of these complete dufuses?

In 2014, will there be any confusuon over who is behind this cluster fuck, and who tried to save America from it? THis latest high profile action in COngress makes it crystal clear who the perps are. They will either be taking big bows to widespread applause in 2014 for getting it right, or they will be run out of town on pikes.

And now, the advocates, after talking abput how great this thing is going to be, can all go pray for some kind of miracle out of nowere.

1994 is going to seem like it was a WFP meeting after 2014.