The Story Wars of Hot Political Issues

Found on the interwebs, a Periodic Table of Storytelling:

storyPeriodicTable.jpg

This Clickable Periodic Table of Tropes is the Holy Grail of Storytelling Resources

Sometimes you find things during your internet adventures that make your heart swell with appreciation and nerdy delight for the glory of cyberspace. This is by far one of the coolest things I've ever found -- and it doesn't hurt that its an incredibly helpful compendium of storytelling knowledge that is easier (and more fun) to navigate that flipping back to the table of contents in a screenwriting book.

Created by artist James Harris, The Periodic Table of Storytelling is designed just like the tabular arrangement of the chemical elements, except instead of being organized in groups of alkali metals and noble gases, you've got plot devices and archetypes. Harris included everything, like the different villain and hero archetypes, character modifiers, story structure, and setting/laws/plots. Every story element square is clickable and takes you to its wiki page on TV Tropes, which explains the trope in detail.

And if that's not enough, Harris includes 10 "simple story molecules" that can be formed when you combine certain story elements. So, if you're a science nerd (redundant) and a screenwriter, you'll just be in absolute heaven when you start playing around with this.

Periodic Table of Storytelling (jamesharris.design)

Edited by william.scherk
Added blurb from a screenwriting site; added direct link
  • Like 1

William,

That's cute.

I read through it. It's not scientific in any manner, though. It's mostly an arbitrary collection of archetypes and tropes that in no way is exhaustive, or even fundamental for that matter.

So I don't see it as a resource for making effective propaganda for story wars except, maybe, for brainstorming to jazz up an idea.

Michael

On 6/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
On 6/20/2021 at 9:31 AM, william.scherk said:

Periodic Table of Storytelling (jamesharris.design)

I read through it. It's not scientific in any manner, though. It's mostly an arbitrary collection of archetypes and tropes that in no way is exhaustive, or even fundamental for that matter.

The table seems built via example pages from TV Tropes, which can be quite a fun resource or depository of instances found in the arts and metiers (from literature through theatre, TV and cinema to video games to comics, fan-fiction, manga and anime and more). I fell down the hole on a couple of items from the table -- eg Hj, Hero'sJourney and Dyn, Dynamic Character.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

So I don't see it as a resource for making effective propaganda for story wars except, maybe, for brainstorming to jazz up an idea.

You are right. I could have taken more time to find an appropriate topic thread.