The Story Wars of Hot Political Issues

Found on the interwebs, a Periodic Table of Storytelling:

storyPeriodicTable.jpg

This Clickable Periodic Table of Tropes is the Holy Grail of Storytelling Resources

Sometimes you find things during your internet adventures that make your heart swell with appreciation and nerdy delight for the glory of cyberspace. This is by far one of the coolest things I've ever found -- and it doesn't hurt that its an incredibly helpful compendium of storytelling knowledge that is easier (and more fun) to navigate that flipping back to the table of contents in a screenwriting book.

Created by artist James Harris, The Periodic Table of Storytelling is designed just like the tabular arrangement of the chemical elements, except instead of being organized in groups of alkali metals and noble gases, you've got plot devices and archetypes. Harris included everything, like the different villain and hero archetypes, character modifiers, story structure, and setting/laws/plots. Every story element square is clickable and takes you to its wiki page on TV Tropes, which explains the trope in detail.

And if that's not enough, Harris includes 10 "simple story molecules" that can be formed when you combine certain story elements. So, if you're a science nerd (redundant) and a screenwriter, you'll just be in absolute heaven when you start playing around with this.

Periodic Table of Storytelling (jamesharris.design)

Edited by william.scherk
Added blurb from a screenwriting site; added direct link
  • Like 1

William,

That's cute.

I read through it. It's not scientific in any manner, though. It's mostly an arbitrary collection of archetypes and tropes that in no way is exhaustive, or even fundamental for that matter.

So I don't see it as a resource for making effective propaganda for story wars except, maybe, for brainstorming to jazz up an idea.

Michael

On 6/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
On 6/20/2021 at 9:31 AM, william.scherk said:

Periodic Table of Storytelling (jamesharris.design)

I read through it. It's not scientific in any manner, though. It's mostly an arbitrary collection of archetypes and tropes that in no way is exhaustive, or even fundamental for that matter.

The table seems built via example pages from TV Tropes, which can be quite a fun resource or depository of instances found in the arts and metiers (from literature through theatre, TV and cinema to video games to comics, fan-fiction, manga and anime and more). I fell down the hole on a couple of items from the table -- eg Hj, Hero'sJourney and Dyn, Dynamic Character.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

So I don't see it as a resource for making effective propaganda for story wars except, maybe, for brainstorming to jazz up an idea.

You are right. I could have taken more time to find an appropriate topic thread.

• 2 months later...

Here is the new vehicle of story war propaganda: video games. 

fortnite-video-games.jpg
WWW.THEEPOCHTIMES.COM

Commentary The Chinese regime is using video games, the virtual equivalent of opium, to spread powerful, carefully crafted ...

(If there is a paywall, use this link.)

In the late 1980s, when Joseph Nye coined the term ‘soft power,’ one wonders if he ever imagined a day when video games would become weapons of mass persuasion. Probably not. But they most definitely have. Last year, the video game industry brought in more revenue than the movie and the sports industries combined. I reached out to Professor Nye for comment on the matter. “Soft power,” said the legendary political theorist, is nothing more than “the ability to get what you want through attraction rather than coercion or payment.” For over half a century, “Hollywood films” have filled this role. Today, though, “video games” can take Hollywood’s place.

. . .

As we spend an increasing amount of time online, video games are fast becoming an effective means of controlling young, malleable minds. The United States, one of the biggest consumers of video games in the world, is home to more than 100 million gamers, many of whom spend up to 12 hours each day online.

Movies, once the most influential medium of impression management, have largely lost their appeal. If in doubt, consider the Oscars, which has become a TV ratings disaster of epic proportions. The likes of Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Scarlett Johansson, Matt Damon, and Margot Robbie simply can’t compete with the likes of Blaze, Peely, Fishstick, Midas, and Astro Jack, all fictional characters who continue to wow 3.24 billion gamers worldwide. Yes, almost half the world’s population are gamers—a fact that is not lost on the Chinese regime.

The Chinese obviously collect data through videogames, but it would be interesting to find out the story mechanisms they use to embed their propaganda. Especially when they target young minds that are still in biological development.

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here is the new vehicle of story war propaganda: video games. 

fortnite-video-games.jpg
WWW.THEEPOCHTIMES.COM

Commentary The Chinese regime is using video games, the virtual equivalent of opium, to spread powerful, carefully crafted ...

(If there is a paywall, use this link.)

The Chinese obviously collect data through videogames, but it would be interesting to find out the story mechanisms they use to embed their propaganda. Especially when they target young minds that are still in biological development.

Michael

The funny thing is that this is nothing new; SOUTH PARK was calling this out, what, 10 years or so ago [edit: nope, 20 years ago...wow] , with their Pokemon episode...(although with Japan instead of China...though they do address China with the "City Wok" episodes...)

SP_Chinpokomon.jpeg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

TG,

It almost follows the Marxist indoctrination timeline of American schoolchildren through public schools, whatcha think?

:)

The good news for me is that Millennials, the lost generation, are turning out to be a hell of a lot more resilient against their indoctrination than I feared earlier.

Oh, there are plenty still lost (and some are real fruitcakes :) ). But there is this huge common sense contingency arising that is making me proud of them. That goes also for the generation that followed them.

I'm tempted to call these young people "the no bullshit generation." 

But then again, the moment I start doing that, we all know that they will come with some rip-roaring bullshit and they will pile it high. :) 

So I'll just make my comment and leave it at that. I'll champion them after I'm more confident of their core.

But, at least, I'm a believer right now. Before I wasn't. I was saddened beyond belief.

Long live the good in the human soul. May it always transcend generations.

Michael

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a fascinating way to look at story wars: Mass Formation.

Here is the same video on a BitChute channel for obvious reasons.

JtGlysbVqwow_640x360.jpg
WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

Published: Sept 22, 2021 Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLDpZ8daIVM&t=802s Does it sometimes feel like you’re surrounded by people who’ve been hypnotised in some way? Well, maybe you...

I have a feeling I am going to like diving into the ideas of Mattias Desmet.

He said there are four psychological and social conditions for a totalitarian narrative to take over society:

1. There has to be a lot of people who feel a lack of social bonds and lack of social connectedness.

2. A lot of people who feel a lack of meaning-making.

3. A lot of people who feel a free-floating anxiety, meaning an anxiety from within that is not connected to a mental representation of an object out in reality.

4. A lot of people who feel a free-floating frustration and aggression.

Once people are in this state, when a source credible to them offers them a concrete object to blame for their free-floating anxiety, frustration and aggression, they already have juiced-up emotions to go along with it and plug into it. That will lead to them creating social bonds with people who think the same and the emerging group will give them a sense of meaning in the making.

This is powerful shit.

Desmet calls this a state of collective hypnosis. 

I'm going to think on this some, but off the top of my head, I now see why an avalanche of stories that attack beloved traditions and icons and beliefs are always present before a mass lunacy emerges.

The way many people in O-Land try to convince others to change their minds goes something like this:

1. They find the truth in Rand's works and arguments. 
2. They present this truth to people who believe the contrary and hammer it.
3. They get frustrated because they don't convince people other than those who already agree.
4. They complain about the world going to hell.

The correct sequence would be to:

1. Choose the truth they want to persuade others to adopt.
2. Analyze their target audience and filter for ideas (contrary or otherwise) that contain emotional loads of anxiety, frustration and aggressiveness. List and study these ideas from this lens.
3. Present stories and scenarios that cause people to doubt and dislodge from those ideas, but keep their anxiety, frustration and aggressiveness high and in a free-floating manner.
4. Present a new villain that can be easily seen and/or imagined as a cause for their anxiety, frustration and aggressiveness.
5. Then appeal to reasoned arguments about the truth they want to tell that solves everything.

Obviously, this villain has to be one that opposes, or is incongruent with, the truth they want to tell.

But the sequence in a simplified form--and in vastly different language--is create floating unhappiness and misery in people, get them to blame a scapegoat for it, then lead them to the promised land. It has to be in that order, otherwise it doesn't work.

Hell, from a different angle, this is a plot-line for a friggin' novel.

Off the top of my head once again, I see this pattern is in Atlas Shrugged. Rand got the anxious, frustrated and aggressive parts of her fictional world disconnected from concrete causes and let them float ("Whos is John Galt?"), she then scapegoated altruism and presented a lot of concrete examples of how it caused anxiety, frustration and aggression, then off to the reason-based promised land (after a massive "this is why altruism sucks" speech).

Obviously this analysis needs a little work. :) But still, the big parts are there and in the right order. I think that is part of why her novel is so persuasive. She didn't just get the reasoned arguments right. She nailed the emotional sequence of authoritarian takeovers of society (and then used it to shake off authoritarianism).

More later as I learn.

But watch the video.

I only gave a small part of the goodness in it along with my brainstorming.

Michael

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

This is one of the most important posts on story for political persuasion I have made to date.

It's a video by James Corbett called Writing A New Narrative - #SolutionsWatch.

I found this so compelling, I made a transcript of it, which I am posting here.

I would like to comment on this, but James is so clear and articulate, I don't want to muddle his ideas. Leave it to say I have basically been saying the same thing for years in different words, and admittedly, with less precision and simplicity.

So I will let James speak.

But if you can spend the half-hour watching the video, or listening to the audio, or if you can read the transcript, I cannot recommend enough that you do so. This one changes lives.

Here is the video and audio and show notes on James Corbett's site. Please note that he refers to other works as he goes along and links to all of them are at the link below.

Writing A New Narrative - #SolutionsWatch.

Here is the video by itself at Bitchute:

rDQa8wTxmHqj_640x360.jpg
WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

SHOW NOTES AND MP3: https://www.corbettreport.com/solutionswatch-narrative/ Do you know the story of the most powerful weapon in the world? It's used against...

And here is my transcript. Note that I did not check it for errors, so you might find a few. If I ever do anything more important with this transcript, like send it to James, I will clean it up with another pass or two.

Enjoy.

CORBETT: Welcome back friends. Welcome back to the Corbett Report. I'm James Corbett of corbettreport.com and, yes, I did break my glasses while camping with my family this past weekend. So these are my old glasses until my new glasses are ready. 

That being said you are tuned into Solutions Watch, that deprogram where week after week after week we look at ways that you can improve your life and change the world for the better. 

And as you know by now, sometimes we look at the very specific technical things that can be done such as, as we talked about with Bob Anderson last week, gaining greater energy independence through solar power and other such methods. This week we're going to look at the other side of the coin: the big picture abstract philosophical ideas about how we can change the world. 

And, on that note, I want to pick up on something that I hope you will have noticed that I remarked on in last week's conversation on The Grand Theft World podcast where we were talking about some of the bigger issues that we are facing as a species.

CORBETT (from earlier The Grand Theft World podcast): The key to this is to stop following the narratives that are being set for us and start creating our narrative. And people don't understand. And that was actually the best piece of feedback... I got a lot of good feedback from that course I just taught on media history. But the best piece of feedback I got was, "You know, I've thought about this before and I've read some of these sources, but I've never really... It's never really struck me just how important the story--the stories that we're being fed--is to our understanding of the world, and to everything that that makes us who we are and what we're going to do in the world.

When we start creating our own narratives rather than simply accepting the ones that are given to us, I think that's when we start to build real autonomy.

CORBETT (now): Narratives!? Storytelling!? What are you talkin' about, James? When the Super-Gophers with their fancy titles gather in their big conference halls to  decide how to divvy up the world, they're not talking about storytelling and narratives, are they?

KLAUS SCHWAB: Excellencies. The participants. What pleasure to be together again and to design the future. 

We are here to where it develops a great narrative: the story for the future. and I would like to refer at His Highness, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Vice-Chairman and Prime Minister of United Arab Emirates and the ruler of Dubai, who told us that in order to shape the future, you have first to imagine the future, you have to design future, and then you have to execute.

CORBETT: Oh. That's right. That's exactly what they're talking about. Storytelling and narrative. The Klaus Schwab's and the Muhammad Abdullah Al Gergawi's, and the other would be controllers of this new world order, do spend their time thinking about the narratives that shape society and how to bring those narratives about. To execute them--to use that word. 

And so full credit for digging up this clip in this conference should go to Derrick Broze, who brought it to the attention of myself and his audience in general in a recent article that was written and posted up on the last AmericanVagabond.com a couple of weeks ago: "The Great Narrative And The Metaverse, Part 1: A Dystopian Vision Of The Future." 

And Derrick Rose starts that by setting the scene for what it is that we just witnessed there, that bizarre scene. He says: 

As the World Economic Forum prepares for the return of their annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, the "international organization for Public-Private cooperation" is launching the next phase of The Great Reset agenda - The Great Narrative. 

On November 11th and 12th, the World Economic Forum held a 2 day meeting called "The Great Narrative" in Dubai, United Arab Emirates to discuss "longer-term perspectives" and "co-create a narrative that can help guide the creation of a more resilient, inclusive and sustainable vision for our collective future."

The WEF gathered futurists, scientists and philosophers from around the world to dream up their vision of how to reset the world and imagine what it would look like in the next 50 years. The discussions will be collected and published in a forthcoming book, "The Great Narrative" in January 2022. 

And I'm sure we're all on the edge of our seats looking forward to that book, aren't we? Well, maybe for its value in understanding the propaganda that we're about to be subjected to, but I wouldn't necessarily recommended it as light bedtime reading. But, maybe, that's the point. 

Once again I will commend that full article to your attention. I think Derrick does a great job of not only describing what is happening there, but also setting it in its proper context: the broader story of what it is that we are being steeped into, and how that is happening, and for what purpose. And, also, I'll direct your attention to an interview that Ryan Christian of the Last American Vagabond did with Derrick on this subject a week or two ago--very important conversation in order to understand this extremely important fundamental concept that has been ecluded from our attention, or has been dismissed as woo-woo, or that's not important, precisely because the would-be controllers of society know just how important the narrative mechanism is for shaping society.

This is, in one seemingly trivial example, this is the reason that advertisers do not sit there and list all of the merits of their particular product: "Here are the functions and here are the various things that it can do, and here are the various functions of the competing product, and let's do some statistical and scientific analysis and you see our product is slightly better in this regard, so we we recommend this product."

No! Of course not. 

They show you the guy getting into the SUV and driving out into the country roads, kicking up dust with the cool soundtrack in the background, or they show the guy opening the beer and suddenly he's on a on a beach and there's a party with bikini clad girls everywhere, or whatever it is. The ad will make you laugh. It might even make you cry. And then they bind that emotional resonance up with their product in order to sell it to you. 

This is not a logical argument that they're making, and it's not just advertising that does that. This is a well-known way to shape people's perceptions of the world and, thus, to shape their behavior, thereby actually changing the world. 

This is the point that I've tried to stress time-and-time again throughout my work over the years. Perhaps, most to the point, most on the nose, in an article that I wrote one year ago in November of 2020 called "How to Save the World in One Easy Step," which starts by posing the question: POP QUIZ--What's the most powerful weapon ever invented? 

And I go through some elaboration of some potential answers to that question, and then start to introduce the subject, and eventually arrived at this point in the article where I say, "Story is the most powerful weapon. Narrative. Ideas presented in such a way as to provoke certain thoughts or actions. With a gun, you can kill a man. With a bomb, you can kill a family. With a nuke, you can can level a city. But with a story, you can control the world.

"This is how billions of people around the world have been locked up as prisoners in their own homes this past year. Not because there is an inexhaustible supply of police thugs standing on every street corner ready to shoot anyone who steps outside of their home, but because a narrative has been constructed such that the vast majority want to stay home. Give a society the right narrative and they will gladly lock themselves inside their own prison and hand over the key. 

"This is why billions around the globe are prepared to roll up their sleeves for an experimental, unproven "vaccine" for a disease with a 99% survival rate. The masses have been given a narrative whereby this "vaccine" is going to deliver them from a deadly plague. It doesn't matter what counter-evidence is presented to them; the ones who take the vaccine are the righteous heroes of this story, and those who question the vaccines are the villains."

And, lo and behold, here we are in 2021 and Noam Chomsky and others are telling you exactly that: Oh, these horrible, evil self-centered people who won't take the experimental medical intervention. They deserve to be shunned on to some island somewhere and how they live or die is up to them. Whatever. We'll forget about them. They are the villains in the story and, as we see, it's being ramped up and up and up so that the narrative is being inserted into the population right now. 

And try logically arguing against that narrative. Go on. Try. I'll hold my breath and wait for that.

[Corbett sucks in air and a card comes up: One Eternity Later.]

CORBETT: Oooohhh... I died. 

Yeah. The people who argue about, "Oh well. I mean look at this chart. This chart shows that mask mandates have no effect on spreading of any disease." 

Or, "Oh, look at this. The vaccination rates are directly tied to surges in what we perceive as COVID. Look at that. Amazing. Huh?" 

You can point statistical analyses and charts out till you are blue in the face and it will make zero difference in the minds of ninety-nine percent of the population precisely because they have a narrative by which they understand any piece of evidence that is presented to them. 

This is something that, of course, I went over in #propagandawatch last year on "Same Facts, Opposite Conclusions," an extremely important thing to understand. You can present the data to someone, but if they have a narrative perception, they have a story in their minds about what is taking place, they will be able to fit that data into their story almost every single time, even if it's exactly opposite to what you perceive to be reality. 

So this is why it is so important to understand. Because people will argue till they're blue in the face and present data and evidence as if that is going to fundamentally change people's way of perceiving the world. It is not.

But, having said that, this is not "Problems Watch." This is "Solutions Watch." So the question becomes: What do we do with this insight? What can we actually do to help shape people's perceptions in a different way? 

And I think the most basic, the most obvious way of understanding that in this question of narratives and creating narratives in order to change the world and the future, is through the most literal basic interpretation of that idea: narrative. What is a narrative? Uh... it's a story. Like fiction, right? Like poetry. Whatever. 

That the ways people have communicated and embedded ideas for thousands of years, some of those ideas have persisted in our general understanding for thousands of years precisely because they were embedded in stories that then get remembered. 

The human species has been telling stories to each other for umpteen generations, sitting around campfires or whatever, and it is not just because we are a storytelling species, that is an extremely important part of what we do, but because we embed information in those stories. We understand the world through those stories. And we often think of stories when we are struggling to understand a concept. 

How many times have you tried to explain something to someone--and it's red pill, blue pill. Where did that come from? Oh, The Matrix. 

Or, oh it's Cipher in The Matrix saying, "I know this steak isn't real, but mmm,. it tastes so good anyway."

It's the ring, the ring of power. If you put the ring on, it will corrupt you. 

All of these ideas that we have embedded and we can use as the cultural touchstone to make people understand what it is we're saying. 

It's extremely important concept. So I would suggest that the entire "Film. Literature and The New World Order" series is, obviously, relevant to this discussion. So if you haven't been through that podcast, I would suggest you do so. There are 42 episodes going through different pieces of literature, different pieces of cinema, examining those stories for the way that they not only reveal things about the world, but then, also, shape our perceptions about the world and how we can change it. 

I will specifically commend in this regard Episode 42, the most recent edition of that series, where I looked at Aesop's Fables.

CORBETT (in earlier podcast about Aesop's Fables): That's right. Like, I hope every good father out there, I do read to my children every night before they go to sleep. And they love books and they love reading or they love being read to at this point. So that's good and I enjoy doing it. 

But in fact this may be more than just enjoyment. Sometimes there is wisdom and knowledge to be gained from children's bedtime story time, especially when we're talking about something like Aesop's Fables.

Now, of course this does represent--in a translated in truncated form and designed for children with nice illustrations... But it does represent knowledge, wisdom that has been around for thousands of years--twenty-five hundred or so years if we are to believe Aesop was an actual historical personage and all of the fables that have been attributed to him really were written by that historical personage... I don't know. I mean we're not here to adjudicate that today. 

But, at any rate, this has been around for thousands and thousands of years. And does represent very timeless knowledge that I think is still relevant to us today. And as I was going through and reading this to my children, I did notice that there were a number of fables here that really do pertain to our situation that we still find ourselves in all these thousands of years later. So, I thought I would share some of these with you and maybe just cogitate a little bit on how they reflect our current reality. 

And I wanted to start with the Fable of the Cat and the Mice. A sneaky old cat heard that a certain house was quite overrun with mice... [FADEOUT]

CORBETT (now): Now, I hope you will go and watch or re-watch that edition of "Film, Literature and the New World Order" if you haven't yet done so because I think it does demonstrate the point quite effectively that these tales, which even if you have not read Aesop's Fables, you know these tales. 

These tales have persisted for thousands of years and perhaps, more importantly, the moral of the story has persisted for thousands of years. What is the moral we're supposed to take away from this tale about foxes and whatever? 

There's always a cultural understanding, a piece of wisdom that is embedded in these stories, that are then, as I say, have been demonstrable be passed from generation to generation for thousands of years to arrive to us in the present day. That is a very, very effective way of distilling and a passing along shared cultural wisdom and understanding.

It's also, of course, an exceptionally powerful way of changing people's perceptions and understanding, and thus, changing the world. If you can embed something in a narrative that then gets passed along, then, well, there you go. You've embedded a new cultural understanding that will resound through the ages. Right? 

And you think this is a power that the would-be rulers of the New World Order are not actively using at every stage? You don't think they spend millions upon millions, billions in the aggregate, on the entertainment industry every year because, oh, it's just bread and circuses to distract the public? 

Or do you think they're doing it because they understand this is the most effective way of shaping people's perceptions of the world? 

I tend to think it's the latter. And that's exactly why we neglect or poo-poo this incredibly powerful tool to our own detriment. And this is why, throughout the years, I have consistently stated I very much support the people who are able to embed this information in different forms, in different stories, whether quite literal writing, of course. Writing fiction or epic poems or whatever. 

But, of course. that could take any number of different forms. A painting can tell a story. A sculpture can tell a story. A song can tell a story. That is one way of embedding narrative and sharing cultural wisdom. 

So I, of course, I absolutely support all the artists who are inventing this information in some form in their art. And it doesn't always have to be banging people over the head: HERE IS THE MESSAGE and THIS IS WHAT IT'S ABOUT. It doesn't have to be quite that obvious and literal. 

But, hey, sometimes that works, too. I mean, think of any number of examples... any number of examples will spring to mind: Animal Farm or 1984 or Lord of the Rings or whatever it is. And then there are more subtle ways of embedding understanding as well. And, obviously, I don't need to elaborate on that. 

But this is the point at which we arrive at the bigger picture of what's going on here. Because as I say, narrative as story in the most literal sense, like telling a story, is the most basic and straightforward way we can understand this. But there is a bigger picture here. There's a broader understanding. 

And Derrick Broze points to it in his article, for example, when he mentions metanarratives. And finally, after all these decades, my undergrad degree is going to pay off. Because I have read the post structuralist philosophers. And I have studied literary theory. And I did carry around Jean-François Lyotard's "Postmodern Condition" to my classes back in my undergrad days. 

So this is actually something I am qualified to talk about, although I probably won't in this particular episode because we're concentrating on narratives today. But I probably should do a more philosophical deep dive into the question of metanarratives and all of this. It is a fascinating topic. 

But, long story short, a metanarrative is a Grand Narrative that places our lives into a meaning and a context that gives meaning to our lives, to the world, to our understanding of who we are and our place in the world. That is the metanarrative that guides our actions. 

We all have some big story about what it is that's happening. Why we're here. What is happening to us? And what are we doing? And what is our role in all of this? Whether that is a consciously formulated metanarrative, the one that we can list out and say, "Oh, this is the big picture." 

Or, whether that's just the sort of unspoken unthought-of assumptions that guide our actions. It is there. The metanarratives that shape our lives and our understanding. And it is exceptionally important to understand that level of what is going on as well. Because shaping the metanarrative, of course, is the ultimate point of this. 

Yes. Embedding a story or a narrative here or there in the cultural consciousness can be an effective way of passing down this or that particular understanding, but in order to shape the world at large, you have to control The Metanarrative. 

And what do you think The Great Reset is? It is a metanarrative. Here is the metanarrative. We've reached this crisis point because of this and this and this. And this and this and this is happening as a result of this crisis, so we need to do this and this and this. 

And embedded all in this package, give it a title, "The Great Reset," and brand it and sell it like a tube of toothpaste or something to the general public so that people start to buy into this idea, and thereby, you can shape the world. That's why I've talked about it before. 

The World Economic Forum is just repackaging various ideas for this Grand Narrative of a New World Order. Whatever you want to call it, it doesn't particularly matter the title. But certain titles will sell better with the public in different eras. And this may be The Great Reset. Let's try that--see if that sticks to the wall. 

At any rate, it is a metanarrative that is being sold to the public right now. And in order to understand that and understand how it is that, no matter how deliberately you deconstruct that metanarrative, and you show all of the different pieces of it, and what, you know,  "they're talking about this, but they really mean this." 

It will make zero difference whatsoever. Let's take a look at a specific example of that. Let's go back to that Narrating The Future video from the World Economic Forum that we were looking at earlier, and let's look at when Gergawi takes the mic and starts telling us about why we need a new great narrative.

MUHAMMAD ABDULLAH AL GERGAWI: We need a new great narrative because we live in the world where the richest 1% have more than double the wealth of 7 billion people. Why almost half of the world's population lives under $6 a day. 

We need a new great narrative because the last 70 years were the warmest on record. We cannot afford to waste more time on an action or denial about the climate change. 

We need the new great narrative because the world has been through one of the largest economic downturns in its history. 

And we need a new great narrative because our digital world will be as important as the physical one. 

Already there are more connected devices than people in the world. And by 2025, there will be five times more devices than people on this planet.

We need the new great narrative because it will inspire both hope and action. And governments, first and foremost, are in the business of instilling hope--a business that touches 7.8 billion people who strive for a better future.

CORBETT: Do you see? Do you see what's happening? 

Try showing that clip to someone who doesn't already understand the way that these various terms and ideas and crises are being used to shape a particular agenda for the benefit of a select group of people and you will be called a crazy conspiracy theorist. Because a lot of these ideas that are embedded in "Why do we need a new great narrative?" are, of course, pieces of the narrative that has been instilled into us, propagandized into us since we were children. 

All of these sound--or are supposed to sound--like great wonderful caring things that loving shepherds of humanity, self-appointed leaders who are going to tell the world what to do, have have already told us are the problems. "And don't worry. We'll take care of it." 

So yes, there's enormous economic inequality in the world and the richest 50 people own more than 50% of the entire wealth of the world or whatever that stat is--changing on a weekly basis. We all know that because that is an important part of what they're trying to sell us. They just never quite come out and openly state the dot dot dot, "So you need to give us more power to better divvy up the economic resources of the world." 

Or, "Oh, the climate change, the weather gods, are unhappy with the things that you--not us--you are doing to the world. Therefore you need to give us more power to tell you what you can and cannot do with your lives. Hey! Here's a new carbon ration card." 

"The economic downturn, the unprecedented economic downturn that's happened during these times is a huge calamity. Yes. There's a lot of people losing their jobs, their livelihoods, the businesses that they've worked all their lives for. Right now. It is happening. Huge economic pain, dot dot dot..."

"So, give more power to shape and forge a new economic system to govern the entire world. Hey! What could go wrong? The digital Revolution is taking place. Our digital lives are becoming as important as our real lives, dot dot dot..."

"So you need to give us more power to shape the new digital environment, to make it safe for you all." 

You see? The narrative is already there and the hidden assumptions or the unstated conclusions of those premises are always, of course, the operative part of it. But as long as they can get you to swallow the the hook, then the line and sinker will go along with it. And they can get it all in one fell swoop because they know how to shape a narrative. 

Some very brilliant people have been shaping narratives that have guided your entire metanarrative, your story about the world and the way it works your entire life. And, presumably, if you are a regular member of Corbett Report audience, you have to some extent broken out of the conditioning of that metanarrative that's been placed on you. 

But, I guarantee, even if you are the wokest of the woke, in the awakened sense of that--"I know all of this"--I guarantee you know people who don't... who don't understand any of this and will listen to a speech like that, from someone like Gergawi, and say, "Yeah. Sounds good. Yeah, I agree. There is economic inequality. There is climate change. There is an economic downturn. Digital is becoming more important. Maybe we do need new solutions to these old problems... new problems for old solutions." 

So then he goes on to say, "Who will sell this narrative to the public? Who will offer them the hope? What body's role is to provide that hope to the public? Government."

"Yes. Of course. Hopium. Let's inject it in your veins. Vote for another politician, guys. That'll be the way forward into this Brave New World Order. Isn't that such a wonderful thing?"

And, of course, that very accurately sums up the nature... the government's role in the global public-private partnership that previous Corbett Report guest, Ian Davis, I think, has quite accurately identified as the new governance paradigm for the globe. 

Yes. Of course. Governments are there to sell you the hope that is being designed and formulated at these meetings that one person in a thousand, one person in a million, will ever even know anything about. The World Economic Forum, how it operates. "Oh, it has some sort of conference on Grand Narrative? Whatever." 

Most people will not understand it. And so you can calmly try to explain and, well no. You see, when they talk about sustainable development, what they really mean dah dah dah... 

And you can list it all out and give them the facts on that. But if they have The Grand Narrative in their head that, "Well this is good, and you know, we do need the United Nations and whoever to step in and help with this problem... And if you think they're doing it for any purpose other than saving the world, you are a conspiracy theorist."

That's the narrative in their head. Then there's no way of changing that with pure logic and reason. "Oh, I'll give you some facts that will change your mind on that."

And if you believe that, then you haven't quite understood what I've been talking about for some time now. Go back and rewatch. I keep bringing it up because it continues to be relevant: "Same Facts, Opposite Conclusions," which I talked about on #propagandawatch last year. That you can present the exact same set of details to someone and they will see the exact opposite thing that you do in those facts about the world because they have a different perspective on it. 

"Oh, well. You know, Lockdowns are associated with excess deaths? Well that's because lockdowns are happening in places where there would have been many more deaths if there wasn't lockdowns."

Whatever it is, there's always a mental pretzel-knot that you can tie yourself in to make the facts fit your metanarrative. 

And as another example of how metanarratives are shaped by words and terms that then become placeholders for other ideas that are never openly stated, we can see the corruption of language itself into a form of Newspeak where these terms: global, sustainable development, environmentally friendly, whatever, just become the terms by which entire narratives can be sold to the public, I will direct you for the second time in two weeks... I will direct you back to "I Am A Sustainable Free-Trade Globalist," where I make that point about the corruption of the language itself and how these terms can be made radioactive by being inserted into certain narratives that help to shape our world. 

So, if you go back... if you did watch that Grand Theft World podcast that we opened with today, you will see that the point came up and, perhaps, was false modesty on my part to say that I am not actively engaged in helping to create and shape narratives, that is , of course, exactly what it is that I do at the Corbett Report. 

Not generally in the fiction sense of writing pieces of fiction. I do occasionally engage in that in my subscriber editorials. But, more, I've done a couple of, for example, an interview with a coma patient and things like that that are more like a storytelling format for putting this information. But, generally speaking, I'm doing it in a documentary-style, or presenting information. 

But that is a narrative. That is shaping people's understanding: going from here to here to here. And I spend an awful lot of time on thinking about, for example, how to put this particular edition of Solutions Watch together, let alone every other podcast and thing that I do. I think about, "What's the right order to say this in?" And, "What clip should I use?" And, "How should I do this?" And, "How do I put it together to make it make sense to the audience?" 

And maybe I succeed, maybe I fail, but that is the work that I'm engaged in. And that is, I think, an extremely important thing to do as I point out in that Grand Theft World conversation, somewhat self-reflexively. Not just for helping to convey this information to others, but for understanding it for yourself. Until you put the data and information that you have in your head into a narrative--this, so this, therefore this, then this--when you put it into a narrative that tells a story in some sense, then you start to understand the information. 

Until that point, it's just data. It's just facts. It's just scattered information.

Until you collect it, organized it, and make it into a narrative, you don't really know what it is that you know, or what you think, or what you believe, or why you're doing what you're doing.

So it is an extremely important thing. We all create narratives every single day. We're just generally not conscious of it. 

I think we should become conscious of it. And we should actively practice this art of putting things into narrative format to help people understand something... to lead people from this to this to this... so that they understand information rather than bombarding them with information.

At the risk of bombarding you with information, I think I will stop this episode here, having introduced, I hope, this concept, this idea. And the incredible importance of it. This is a weapon that is being wielded against you, so I highly suggest that it is in our interest to understand this weapon and how it is deployed, and to use it defensively to help shape our own metanarrative--of what it is we want to achieve in the world, and how we're going to execute that plan. 

That is an extremely important thing to do and we poo-poo it to our own detriment. 

So I will leave you today with some more words from that aforementioned "How To Save The World In One Easy Step" article that I wrote last year, where I concluded by saying, "Whoever it is that brings this message to the world," this message of a different way of looking at the Grand Narrative they're shoving down our throat, "and whatever form that message takes, it will appear as a revelation; as an answer that's been sitting there under our nose all along. And when that message arrives, it won't require persuasion or cajoling 

to convince the public to act. The story itself will compel the public into action. 

"I know these words will fall mostly on deaf ears. One of the narratives that the narrative controllers has implanted in us is that words are meaningless and only the armed heroics of some steroid-laden, gun-toting Rambo can save us from the bad guys.

"But those who have really studied history know better. They understand that ideas and stories are the only things that have ever changed the world."

James Corbett 
CorbettReport.com

Michael

As a complement to the last post, here is Amazing Polly. I've also made a transcript because what she says is that good.

vjkHKFQBXacS_640x360.jpg
WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

In this moment when the totalitarians have destroyed our way of life, we have an opportunity. Their narrative is a loser, ours is eternal. To support my work: https://amazingpolly.net/contact-support.php...

She is promoting Christianity hard, but if you look deeper, the reason she is promoting it is something nobody talks about these days. Let her say it:

When you get up in the morning and you don't have a reason to die as well as a reason to live, then you don't have a compelling narrative...

Here in O-Land we don't talk about this at all. And it's even in Ayn Rand's fiction. It's weal, but it's there.

But in our neck of the woods, where is Patrick Henry when you need him? "Give me liberty or give me death!"

He didn't say those words in isolation. He was in the middle of a bigger picture of building a nation based on goodness, based on God as the people at the time understood Him.

I look out and I don't see this in our culture generally. Taking God out of the picture, I do see it sporadically in places like superhero movies or in expressions of patriotism.

But a metanarrative, to spread and to satisfy people, has to include values so important to each individual, a person would live for them and die for them.

In the Story Wars, the metanarrative that addresses this and presents it in a form that convinces people will win. I don't see it in the current attempt by the predator class to enslave everyone, but call it freedom. I don't even see it in the transhumanists who want to live forever. 

Look at how O-Land has become fractured. Even if it is there faintly in Ayn Rand's fiction (and, don't forget, Galt trashed worrying about what comes after death in his radio speech) , it isn't within any Objectivist effort I can see.

So, by default, Christianity it is.

Now here's the rub. Death is reality. If you ignore reality, it doesn't go away. It just goes out of your perception until it clobbers you over the head.

What's more, death is extremely important to everyone. It is universal. If you want to persuade people and organize them and move them with a narrative, you better deal with the things important to them as human beings. 

I'm not saying for people to become Christian. But I am saying, before we throw out the frame that successfully structured the Western world for the last two-thousand years and prompted the development of the marvelous human civilization we now have, we need to cover all the essentials.

As Rand liked to say (and I paraphrase), the bad guys are not dealing with this anymore. They dropped the tools and rejected the issue. We can pick those tools up up, forge the narrative and change the world.

In short, we need to learn from Christianity, not reject it. We can keep the good, set aside the bad, and, most of all, stay in touch with what works. 

As a special nod to O-Land, notice how Klaus Schwab believes self-interest is the root of all evil and compromise is his shining knight. As I heard many times in AA, it's always a different story, but it's always the same old story...

Now, here is the transcript. As usual, I did it, but with no revisions (time issues). So there might be an error here or there. I'll clean it up to near perfection if it is ever used for something more than a forum post.

I also added some line breaks between sections for easier reading, but this was on the fly. 

POLLY: Did you catch what came out of the World Economic Forum in early November? It was this: the world economic Forum convened a three-day conference in the United Arab Emirates in Dubai called "Narrating the Future."

I think this is good news. What it means is they realize that the narrative that they have been putting out there with The Fourth Industrial Revolution and The Great Reset stuff is failing. And I mean, of course it's failing. 

"You will own nothing and be happy." That was one of their campaigns. And recently they've come out with the thing about we're all going to take cold showers for the sake of the planet, and we're going to eat bugs. You seen these, probably, I hope you have seen them by now.

The World Economic Forum is terrible at narratives. And so for some reason they thought that getting together in Dubai was going to allow them to come out at the end with a compelling narrative that the world would buy into. And I'm going to go over some of the things that were said at this conference in a minute with you. 

But I just want to say first, before I start, that this is how I envision what's happening right now. 

Alright, the globalists, the technocrats, the totalitarians, they've been undermining the Western way of life for a really long time. They being demoralizing us. They've been defanging us. As A. W. Tozer put it, they turned us into pussycats, tabby cats, harmless, cute, harmless. And they've given us so much comfort and so much affluence that we have been lulled into a state of... we're degraded... we're degraded humanity at this point. We don't have anything strong under our feet. One of the main things they did, of course, was undermine Christianity and undermine the family. So that's been going on a long, long time. 

But COVID, the pandemic, the plandemic, has allowed them to destroy the other things that we built on top of those foundations of the Christian Western world view. And I don't care if you're an atheist or not. Two thousand years of civilization was built upon the Christian worldview. Atheists live in it. I don't care if they believe in it. They live in it: the legal system, art, values, family, traditions, everything built on the Christian foundation. 

So, where was I going with this? Oh yes, COVID. 

COVID has allowed them now to come along and destroy the structures that we built upon that very, very strong Foundation, as you're seeing. Business is being decimated, incomes being decimated, jobs lost all over the place. They want to replace people with robots. They want to replace cars with autonomous vehicles that nobody drives. 

They want bio-digital convergence. Klaus Schwab from the World Economic Forum, this guy at the podium here, he has said--openly and numerous times that:

KLAUS SCHWAB: At the end, what the Fourth Industrial Revolution will lead to is a fusion of our physical, our digital and our biological identities.

POLLY: A fusion of physical, digital and biological identities. And we're watching it happen with the metaverse in the virtual reality with the cell phones tracking our biological well-being so that we can have permissions, digital permissions, to go into wherever we want to go. That's what they're doing here. That's what it's about. 

And they want digital currency because digital currency will allow them to merge all of these things that I've just talked about. Right? 

And their narrative is terrible.

So, as they've destroyed Western civilization and we're kind of standing in metaphorical ruins, right now, of everything we've ever known, there's this moment where the future is uncertain. Who will rebuild upon the ruins they've created? 

Of course they want to and they have the vast majority of the money. They own almost all of the media. So, at this conference Klaus Schwab and this Sheikh or whoever he was, his name is Al Gergawi from United Arab Emirates, they were saying, "We've got to build the narrative, the story that Western Civilization will rebuild upon, for the future." 

Because what that means--this is the good part--it means they don't know what story they're going to tell us to get us to buy into this. And that means we have a chance to shape that narrative, to build that story, to tell the story that we are going to rebuild on. 

James Corbett just did a video about this which is really good. [It] explains the whole concept really well. And there's all kinds of other people coming out and explaining that we are at this crisis moment and we need to, you know, hang on to our legal foundations, our freedoms, freedom of speech. 

By the way, let me interject here. I dislike this thing: "our freedoms." There is a state of being free and there is a state of being a slave. There's not multiple freedoms. There's freedom and that's it. Okay, now back to my thesis.

We have a chance right now to build the story, The Narrative, that we're going to get up every morning and have, sort of as the the defining characteristic all around us, the foundation under our feet. We can build that narrative right now because, as they've just admitted at that conference, they don't have a clue what that narrative is going to be in order to get us to go into this bio-digital Great Reset convergence thing.

A lot of people want to be in control of this narrative. But do you know who I think has the best chance? [They] are the people that can build it on the basis which they tried to destroy. I think we have to build the narrative again on the virtues and principles of Christianity. That faith, in particular, is what got us all the way to where we had equal rights, freedom of speech, freedom from unlawful search and seizure. Slavery was abolished. We had ways of addressing corporations that were being predatory. 

Granted, in the last 25-30 years, those have all been eroded: corruption, bribery, a subversion. They were already destroying our civilization before COVID. COVID is just the cherry on top of the Sunday. It's the last hurrah. It's the bombing campaign where they're trying to reduce us to ruble.

But the reason they're able to do it is because they have already reduced our spirits to rubble in many ways by undermining that all important foundation of the Western world: Christianity.

I'm not talking about the churches. The churches are totally corrupt. They're done. But the spirit of Christianity is not. It's still there. And if you want to get a feeling for what I mean, you can watch the video that I did a few... maybe last week, called "Living Under Law Or Living Under Grace." 

And it's really important that we don't just poo-poo this idea like, "Oh, listen. Thanks, Polly, for the advice but we've progressed past the need for a sky daddy. Don't you know that? How uncool and unhip can you be? What are you, from the 18th century? What are you, from the 12th century?"

No. I'm from now. And I see through the tricks that they pulled to get some people to think like that. Like it was a primitive mind that needed God. It was a primitive mind that needed the Bible as a philosophical tool and a guide for value systems and virtue. And vise and how to avoid that. How to avoid temptation. You're just foolish. Science has got this all figured out now. 

Clearly not... on multiple levels. 

If you look around at the degradation, not only of the human spirit, but also of things just aa simple as architecture, you're going to see what I mean. 

The narrative we can build is the same one we already built our society, our civilization, on in the past. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad. But the technocrats... the technocrats would have you believe that exact thing--that progress means never going back to what worked in the past. 

You know, they talk about factory farming, for example, and how evil it is. And I agree. I agree. I don't support factory farming. But their solution is to have fake food, to "grow meet" (quote-unquote) in vats with genetically modified yeast and all these Franken-processes that they do. That's their solution. 

My solution is the old solution. Go back to many smaller farms locally--not controlled by the technocrats, not controlled by marketing boards and cartels that make farmers destroy part of their product in order that food prices are equal everywhere all the time and we can ship it all around the world. 

Do you see exactly how that system has started to warp local farming? The idea that you would, instead of selling your grain directly, you brought it to a grain marketing board and then it was all dumped in one big vat and divvied out. 

You see how that led exactly to the problem we're having today where farmers cannot ship their food around because of supply chain issues.

Imagine if if, as a local farmer, you were free to just sell your food to whoever was around. That would solve this whole problem, wouldn't it? It would solve the whole problem if farmers could just sell their food however they wanted to. But they can't and now instead of going back to that system, the technocrat narrative is: You can never go backwards. You always have to think of a new solution that's never been thought of before. 

And in this case, it's genetically modified frankenfood. I don't want that. Do you?

So you can see why they are panicking in a certain way, and saying, "Oh my gosh. We have to come up with the narrative that people will like for all of this. We have to sell them on all of our newfangled solutions. And it has to have a great story, otherwise, people will see it for what it is, which is eating bug... foreseeable... taking cold showers, owning nothing, and being happy. 

Getting your boosters of toxic chemicals every few months to get your digital permission to have a steak occasionally, a rare Indulgence, or even just go into a shopping mall or on a train.

What narrative are they going to come up with that convinces everybody that that's a good idea? Well, the Sheikh who was there, Al Gergawi, he said, "Well listen. We need something because there's this great wealth disparity now." 

Imagine a Sheikh standing up and saying that. How insane is that? Well, is he prepared to give away his own money? Will Klaus Schwab say, "Hey, billionaires who meet every year here at Davos. You should just give money directly to communities so they can feed the hungry."?

No, they never say stuff like that. That's old fashioned. That's what the churches might have done back in the day. And we can't do anything they did because, first of all, it has to do with religion and faith, and second of all, it's what we did in the past. We can never again do the things that worked in the past because we're all about progress. 

Oh, my my my...

That's the trickiest black magic spell they ever cast: that anything from the past is bad and anything they do going forward is progress. No matter what, no matter the outcome, it's progress.

Right? 

Let me read you a few things that were said at this conference. This man stood up at the podium and he said that the government's role is to aid human evolution. He said we sit in the first minute of the second wave of human evolution through technology. In 50 years we will be totally different. The pace of change now is fast and technology is making all of life just one platform, one technological platform. 

He said the government has carried on in the same way for the last 200 years, but meanwhile, in the background, the private sector has reinvented themselves. Now with the pandemic, government realizes it also needs to evolve. And he said that his idea of government is to design a better future through altering people. He actually said that they would design the DNA, but I don't know, he might have been speaking metaphorically there. 

He says, too, that the Middle East is in the center of this complex world and it's up to them--and Dubai in particular is such a shining example of this--to make everything inclusive so that, no matter where you go in the world, you will see people that look like you and are dressed like you. He says Dubai is the center of the complex in terms of politics, religion, and history. 

What does that mean to you? What would that mean to Klaus Schwab? What does that mean to a globalist? Because they don't like any religion. They want one world religion. Do you think that the Islamic people are okay with that? I doubt they are. I'm not as a Christian.

What he said, too, was that Dubai, and the UAE, and the Middle East in general, is at the forefront of this because they have a very young population. And he says a lot of the government ministers are very young. So this helps them live in the future rather than the past. 

You know... I mean, gee. I wonder why. Could it be because they don't have that history? They don't have the experience? 

They can't see how much we've lost through progress. They have no idea what we've lost. They've grown up their entire lives in a warring situation where, you know, the United  States and other countries have just tried to decimate them for the sake of oil. So, in their minds, how easy must it be to say oil is bad in every way? It must be very easy. 

So that then hooks them into the climate change agenda stuff, with... you know... it's all a snowball on one another.

Did you know that the UAE and Dubai were the first country to cooperate fully with the World Economic Forum? The UAE was only founded in 1971 and at that time, in their country, they had only 40 people who had graduated [from] a university. So they decided they would pick the president from among those 40 people.

Does any of this sound remotely like democracy? Or like the culture that we built in the last two thousand years from the foundation of Christianity? Do you see any connection between those two things at all? No. And the totalitarians, the technocrats, they want to sever that tie completely. A whole new world, literally, built by young people with no concept of of the past. Really? 

And especially in the UAE, they would  have no concept of the foundations that Christianity laid, that we subsequently built glorious institutions on top of.

Klaus Schwab also talked during this speech thing here, and one thing I noticed that he said a couple of times was that they have trouble now. They're a little... they're running into a roadblock because of the pandemic. And he said, what's happened is people have become more self-interested. That's what he says. And he said this has led to a downturn in their willingness to compromise. Twice he said this--that it's hard to get people to compromise. 

And I can't help but think of AW Tozer when he said, "We are not here to compromise. We're not here to dialog. We're not interested in watering down our faith and beliefs for the sake of the other side so that they can be more comfortable."

Remember? 

Well, Klaus Schwab is all about compromise. And what does it really mean? It means giving up some of your fundamental beliefs, the culture you've grown up in, that you love, that has supported you, that has supported all the rights that we hold dear. 

Klaus Schwab is not interested in any of that. That has to go in order for The Great Reset and The Fourth Industrial Revolution to come along. 

Tons of people out there from a lot of different walks of life have addressed this issue in their own way. But what I haven't seen very much of is people suggesting that we need to go back to the Christian foundations, upon which our society and our civilization and our rights and our freedom, was built.

They dance all around it. They use words that are very secular, sometimes legalistic, sometimes moralistic, but they won't go for the heart of the matter.

I see people talking about it in a New Age sort of way. I see people talking about it in a utopian-libertarian sort of way. 

But I don't see very many people coping to the fact that everything we have gained in the last two thousand years is because we built our societies, most of Europe, some of Africa, and all of North America, on a Christian foundation. Christian.

We need to return to it. 

So how can we make that the new narrative? We're up against a lot of forces here. We're up against the secularization of much of the West. We're up against science because, to a lot of people, science disproved the idea of a spirit, of God. And we're up against... what we're up against... people who are cowardly or they're just... they're worried about going too far. And in a place like where I live, if you start talking about God and Jesus, you've just gone too far. People can't handle it. 

France is so atheist. 

But if we keep just trying to frame the new narrative in terms of rights, in terms of morals which shift all the time, in terms of appealing to common sense, I just don't think that's good enough. I do not think it's good enough. 

When you get up in the morning and you don't have a reason to die as well as a reason to live, then you don't have a compelling narrative in my opinion. If there's literally nothing you would die for, if death is your top fear, you don't have much of a narrative. If there isn't a group that is united under one umbrella, then your narrative isn't a narrative at all. It's just a collection of stories from tribes and bands and... 

I don't know if I'm explaining this well... Let me put it this way...

I'm seeing a ton of groups spring up, you know, Democracy Canada, Justice Center Canada, Liberty Coalition Canada, "take back our freedoms," the nurses people, the pilots, the doctors, the... 

And even they have subgroups.

This is no good. This is no good. First of all, why aren't all those groups joining together under under a bigger umbrella? And secondly, that's all kind of... that does reflect the self-interest. Doesn't it? It's self-interest rather than a commitment to something much, much bigger. 

That a man would sacrifice his life to wash away the sins of the entire planet. Anyone who believes in him is part of this narrative, part of this group. Part of this group that believes that there are things worth laying down your life for. They're not that afraid to die because they believe that there's something afterward.

They share songs, traditions, prayers. There's a fellowship there that needs to be revived. That's the important narrative. That's the strong compelling argument. That's how we can come together. 

And while we're in this weird gap where the World Economic Forum, the technocrats, and the totalitarians admit they've dropped the ball. Eating bugs, having cold showers, and owning nothing, and being happy for the sake of the planet with their dubious claims of climate emergencies? That is a losing narrative.

See what I'm saying? 

The nurses, fighting on their own to be reinstated for their job, that's a losing narrative. One or two court cases here [that are] going to take 10-15 years to wind their way through the courts? That's a losing narrative. Constant outrage about people getting tickets and fines? That's a losing narrative.

Christianity is a winning narrative. 

In all these people, they're too shy to even look at it. They think they're too sophisticated. We've progressed too far to go back to something like that. They're wrong. They're wrong 

And I'm doing my part to try to bring them over. And I'm trying to get Christians to come out, too. 

Stop being shy. This is powerful.

All right, everybody. I'm going to stop talking now. I really hope you enjoyed it. 

Head on over to my site: amazingpolly.net. We've just revamped it.

I'm going to ask you, too, if you make a donation on my site and you have any difficulty with that whatsoever, send me an email please at pollystg@protonmail.com because, like I said, we just revamped and I'm not one-hundred percent sure that those buttons are working. 

Alright. Please like. Please thumbs up. Please subscribe. Please share. Leave a comment. 

Did I say that? My goodness. I can't concentrate. 

Until next time everybody. Peace out.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I try to stay away from current events in this thread since it is focused on the process of using story in propaganda and cultural changes, but the following article shows an important aspect of using story: audience acceptance.

The woke culture has the same flaw as communism, it is based on an ideology that dismisses--blanks out--some fundamental parts of human nature. When that happens, money, political clout, entertainment industry adherence, etc., can do little in the long run. And here is proof.

BoxOfficeBusteternalswestsidestory1.jpg
WWW.BREITBART.COM

This year, woke Hollywood movies tanked left and right as audiences wary of paying for a social justice lecture decided to stay away. Here are 7 of the wokest box-office bombs of the year.

I saw West Side Story and I will be writing about it elsewhere. For now, I did not enjoy Speilberg's movie precisely because of the woke stuff. There's even an indirect appeal for gun control in it.

The thing is, what makes audiences come to a show is interest in being entertained or finding something about human nature to contemplate. They will accept a certain dose of politics, but the balance has to be in the direction of human nature, way in the direction of human nature, it has to be big. When it is not, audiences get bored and don't come.

As an aside, people interested in doing fiction from a Randian perspective should take this into account. Oh, she did her speeches, but if you look, the ratio is vast between them and chase scenes, scheming and betrayal throughlines,  love throughlines/scenes, things falling apart throughlines, etc., in other words, all the things that go into great storytelling. She told one hell of a great story that could stand on its own without the philosophy and politics. Then she added philosophy and politics to the story. 

The woke culture is trying to take woke ideas and slap stories on them, even take over traditional beloved stories with finger-wagging. It's gotten to the point that in Hollywood, there's a stink if a straight person plays a gay character and things like that.

The audience doesn't like that shit. Only the activists do.

We still live in a free enough world where the government doesn't shoot entertainers and artists or make people go to shows and movies and other forms of art. So long as that freedom remains, woke culture will be losing audience-generated money in entertainment and art. So far, that's where the big bucks lie. 

The danger is if the culture allows the government to control aesthetics, especially commercially. That's what the woke people are aiming at. From that follows pure authoritarianism and piles of bodies of innocent people.

Those are the stakes in the story wars.

Michael

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Klaus Schwab of the World Economic Forum (the Davos people and Nazi progeny) recently wrote a book about story wars.

He called his book The Great Narrative.

I have this book and I intend to read it and write about it. But for now, James Corbett has a fantastic video on it.

gVLCPkEYJzaU_640x360.jpg
WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

SHOW NOTES AND MP3: https://www.corbettreport.com/greatnarrative/ Remember when the World Economic Forum held a conference on "The Great Narrative"...

Rather than comment on James's views right now, or even his criticisms, I will save that for later. He speaks for himself so eloquently, I prefer it if people watched his video at this point.

Incidentally, if you want more in depth, go to his site where this is covered. There are notes, links, transcripts, other comments and all kinds of things.

The_Corbett_Report_Side_1.jpg
WWW.CORBETTREPORT.COM

Remember when the World Economic Forum held a conference on "The Great Narrative"? And remember when Klaus Schwab threatened to release a book on the topic? Well, guess what? It's heeeere. That's...

But I do want to make a couple of comments.

1. James did not formally say anything about the following, but he did illustrate it. I think Schwab took the messages in Beatles songs and wedded Nazism to them. Seriously. All during the video, when James would quote a passage, he would sing a refrain from a Beatles song. One of his funniest was, "All you need is love (and technology)." :) 

2. James mentioned that Schwab makes a distinction between story and narrative.

This touches on a pet peeve of mine. Anyone who starts studying fiction will find it out almost immediately. So what's my beef? Well, there is no standard wording for studying and learning story. What is story to one is narrative to another is schema to another and on and on. Ditto for plot. Ditto for theme. Ditto even for character.  And it never ends.

The only way I have found to learn about story and storytelling is to learn what an author means with the terms he or she uses, make sure I have the concepts clear and am not mistaken about what the author is saying relative to those concepts, then get on with it. But this is work that has to be done with each person. Otherwise it is a mess and it is really easy to get confused.

In this sense, Klaus presents story as the way the mind experiences life (presumably with a beginning, middle and end and other story elements). But by narrative, he means something different. He means a large meta or collective story where you, as an individual, are part of it. This is not an invitation to join an epic-level story (become part of history and all that). It is literally a technical requirement for narrative to exist at all. To Schwab, a narrative is not complete, does not exist, without your participation.

That's a bullshit meaning for narrative, of course, as anyone who has studied story and narrative can tell you, but that's his meaning. 

And, frankly, for brainwashing, propaganda, etc., it's the oldest concept in the book. But labeling it formally as "narrative" and pretending narrative means nothing else is quite clever in its toxicity.

For now, see the video by James Corbett. 

More coming on all this.

Michael

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

If anyone wants to see the story wars part of memes, here is a video from 7 years ago that provides the core of the mechanism.

I wonder how many people have used this as a blueprint instead of a caution.

At any rate, triggering emotions for sharing are not just anger (especially outrage) and awe. Any emotion that prompts one to act with other people is (fear and panic are biggies, for example).

One of the biggest payoffs of this video is near the end when they mention that for anger to persist, there needs to be two sides. Otherwise it burns out.

So what is the workaround? Easy. Pockets of people who think the same way don't just seethe. They can also spend a lot of time imagining and demonizing the people who think differently than they do. Bingo. Both sides are present and the anger can burn hot for a long time.

Not only can it burn hot, here is the dangerous part. It can escalate into mob action.

To add to this, there is a very clever book called the The Forbidden Keys to Persuasion by Blair Warren. He identifies 7 hidden addictions we all carry around in our brains. I have not thought about them through the lens of neuroscience and modern psychology, but knowing what I now know, I am pretty sure they will stand up once I do that.

The way a hidden addiction works is that you are going along thinking about something or talking about something or even consuming content like reading or watching a video. Then one of these issues come up in a way you agree with or feel threatened by and you immediately shift your thought to that new topic. You can't help it unless you really train yourself hard. You just go to the new topic by default. You can't help yourself.

The seven hidden addictions are hope, being right, scapegoating an enemy, feeling needed, knowing secrets, being accepted (and feeling understood), and feeling power.

If you look hard at the biggest memes that spread, or, hell, even the way the fake news media presents its propaganda, you will be able to see these hidden addictions at work.

So what's the lesson re story wars? 

First, study the person you want to influence from these seven lenses. See how each hidden addiction makes him or her tick.

(For instance, with hope, a MAGA person is looking to a restoration of Trump and MAGA people to power, whereas hope with anti-Trump people is a bit weaker and more big-picture and vision-oriented toward ending racism, being more inclusive, saving the planet for a long time and so on.)

Then make sure you include each one, or as many as is relevant, in the story you tell your target or meme you present. Even one hidden addiction by itself, when well told, works.

Michael

This video is very, very interesting.

CORBETT REPORT: BREAKING FREE FROM MASS FORMATION WITH MATTIAS DESMET

50JK3mgf8tkq_640x360.jpg
WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

Mattias Desmet is a Professor of Clinical Psychology at Ghent University in Belgium. His theory of mass formation during the coronavirus crisis has become widely known and widely misunderstood since gaining...

One of the interesting parts is the discussion of how a person becomes impervious to critical thinking when entranced to love a collective.

I am going to leave this here as a teaser, though, without too much discussion for now.

It is about Desmet's book which will only be released June 16th. (Kindle version and referral link. The hardcover version is scheduled for the 23rd.)

The Psychology of Totalitarianism

But watch the video.

The interview is fascinating.

One of the things I liked the best was their focus on how to snap out of a mass formation trance.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this, thought it'd go well here; touches on propaganda, emotional manipulation, and with a few chuckles along the way, mocking the woke (and pointing out the increasing inability to tell the difference between real woke news and "the Babylon Bee", with the fake example of encouraging women to smell their own poop, in solidarity with trans people, and even the recently-shared here example of the guy in love with his car...

(MSK, this might be right up your alley...)

(copied and pasted excerpt as-is; I don't know what's up with the capitalization in the article...)

"Back to the future: modern media emulates victorian debasement"

Excerpt:

now there are infinity instant on outlets clamoring for mindshare in the all out battle-royal of the attention economy and unlike past periods, feedback is instant. they forensically track what you click on, hover over, or pause on. they would track the color of your socks if they could.

• in a manner never before present, they know EXACTLY what garners attention.

• similarly, in a manner never before present, they face competition from all sides.

and this has changed everything.

the evolutionary/competitive demands are as simple as they are brutal:

command attention or perish.

and this is a race to the bottom.

sorry, but it is.

the media have lost all sense of reason or dignity because they can no longer afford such luxuries. they are just foregrounding whatever outlandish telenovella lunacy or offensive anger inducer they can find on the cheap because that’s how you stay alive in the savage media wars. paying expensive staff to generate nuanced long form content that can support the kind of expense bases of a newspaper has become all but impossible.

you’re either in it for the propaganda or you’re gonna have to act like the ricki lake show.

the holy trinity of clickbait is:

• fear

• anger

• smugness

and if i can hit the trifecta in one weaponized assault on your sensibilities, i have you hooked. fear and anger garner attention. but it’s smug that really drives the machine.

[read full article here:]

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
BORIQUAGATO.SUBSTACK.COM

our choices created this mess and they will get us out of it too.

• Smile 1

Yep, I can be smug as all get out and I know a smug reflection will catch my eye. I can still rein it in , I think lol. I also have developed a smug radar as it indicates click baitiness, but I'm sure it still works on me , given the titles of the videos I see when going to YouTube.

But as far as marketing or persuasion, I think the smug appeal is probably tilted to the masculine. And smug adjacent , just look at the reactions to Trump's tweeting, I didn't mind what he was doing and I could recognize the benefits he was getting. But my wife , and generally the more feminine response was to be turned off by it.

Smug is a great magnet but it is probably only half the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T,

That's cute. Smugness is part of the draw.

And it's a great hook for musing, so let me riff a bit.

I think the stronger persuasion factor for smugness is more tribal than individual, though. It might look the same a lot of the time, but when people act like they are superior to others, look at how many are actually communicating--to others and to themselves--that their tribe is superior to other tribes.

We all get a chuckle out of dumbasses. 

But I can assure you that the woke tribe will not be amused about women being encouraged to smell their own poop and reflect on it. We, on the other hand, we of the anti-woke tribe, look and guffaw at how stupid they are.

I, for one, do.

I used to think all tribalism was bad. Now I believe it is just one more element in the composition of inherent human nature.

Instead of going the route of, "If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out," I hold the best course is to accept human nature as is and work with it. Rather than despise the tribalism that comes prewired in my own brain, I prefer to point it in the right direction--like the rider guiding the elephant he is riding.

Think of this. We live in a virtual era where finding what other people think is easier than at any time in history. So we can choose our tribe. Hell, we can join more than one tribe at the same time. We can belong to many tribes.

So we have a super-power that our ancestors did not have. We do not have to be products of our tribes as our sole option of social living. We can be multi-tribal and do so by our own volition. 

Just find the tribes that agree with your values, join them, and allow your nature to exist when you defend them. That includes laughing at dumbasses who think your tribes are stupid or evil or whatnot.

So long as there is reason at the root of your tribes--and not just the craving to belong to a tribe that is better than other tribes, I think that is healthy.

There is one tribe that needs to take a good hard look at itself: scientists and technocrats in general. They have mistaken their use of reason in one field to believing they use reason everywhere. And they emphatically don't use reason everywhere. That is why it is so easy for bad guys to get them to sell out their humanity. And, boy, do they sell.

These scientists and technocrats believe they are better than others--not as individuals so much as tribe members. "We scientists..."

How that phrase must soothe their tortured souls at 3:00 AM when they wake up in terror and not know why. Regardless of the monsters they are unleashing on the world to serve the orders of power-mongers and psychopaths, they realize (so they tell themselves) that their tribe is better than other tribes--by far--because they are the salvation of humanity. 

Why?

Because they have reason on their side. Theirs is the tribe of reason. That's what being a scientist means. "I fucking love science" is a thing in our culture. So they have reason all sewn up.

They tell themselves this as they unleash bioweapons on humanity, create insanely effective weapons with no purpose except to kill more humans in mass more effectively, make a surveillance state that would be make all evil dictators throughout human history envious, run lethal experiments on unsuspecting human beings without their consent, and so on.

Then they go back to sleep in satisfaction knowing their tribe is better than every other tribe throughout all human history. Man, are they on the right side of history. They have reason on their side.

Riiiiight...

These people are dangerous to the human species as a whole and they don't even know it.

So how to choose a virtual tribe? Individual freedom is a good standard for choosing a tribe. Refusal to bully others is a good standard for choosing a tribe. Believing--as a default position--that all humans are precious is a good standard for choosing a tribe. Being proud of being a human being is a good standard for choosing a tribe. 

I hold that beauty is a good standard for choosing a tribe. Just look at the celebration of ugliness in our culture running under the banner of diversity and not shaming others (as they shame others): fat, transgender, weird on purpose, mutilated, and so on.

These ugly people believe their tribe is better than your tribe.

What do we do with that?

I say just walk away from them. There is no need to compete with them. There is no need to invest your emotions in them (but laugh if you wish, it's fun :) ). There is no need to believe your tribe is better than that.

You already know it in your bones.

And it's OK to know it in your bones.

You are human.

Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've had experience with overtly insinuating myself into an 'enemy' tribe, I was pleasantly surprised that they afforded me the amnesty I would like to think I would have granted to their number , given the days I was interacting were days that we were not publicly at war, and I must say Fenway is a beautiful little league park :)

• 2 months later...

Scott Adams just came out with a fantastic template for how modern hoaxes are perpetrated. He calls it a hoax pattern, but it's a template. You can use this sucker to make a hoax.

In fact, this template reads like a plot structure for a fiction story.

btw - This video is only 8 minutes or so.

nmIivm6ZaKw_640x360.jpg
WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

The HOAX pattern used by the Democrats. See Episode 1836 (full episode) for an extended discussion of the HOAX pattern.

Essentially, the template goes like this:

image.png

Stage 1: Anonymous sources: Gin up some controversy or other using anonymous sources.

Stage 2: Legal action: Maybe an FBI investigation. A special counsel. A lawsuit of some sort. Something like that.

Stage 3: Amplify with "What if?": This is where the Deep State and Fake News come in. They start asking, "What if this involves the nuclear codes?" "What if Putin sabotaged our elections?" "What if the worst case scenario happens?" And so on.

Scott noticed that NBC News is practically run by the CIA, so he said once you get Ken Dilanian on talking about it, you know the CIA has joined in the official Deep State narrative, in other words, the hoax. (He also referred people to Glenn Greenwald for explanations about NBC and the CIA, including Ken Dilanian.) 

Scott also mentioned that it's always the same people who do this hoax stuff. It's never the other news people (until later when they are just going along for the ride).

Stage 4: Schiff in a SCIF: A SCIF (Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility) is a room or place where members of Congress (and others) can look at and discuss sensitive information without being spied on. The public is not invited. Adam Schiff is famous for coming out of a SCIF and going straight to a microphone to lie about what he saw. The fake news, etc., keeps going apeshit.

POINT OF NO RETURN, LIKE AN ELECTION

Stage 5: Oops: This is where the hoax gets busted. However, Democrats will keep believing the hoax for long after it is busted because they only watch the fake news, and the disclosure of the hoax is never featured on the fake news.

They did this over and over and over with Trump.

It's easy to adapt each of the stages to different contexts. For example, instead of Schiff in a SCIF, just have any authority figure openly lie to the public over and over, saying he or she has seen the proof. Also, legal action can be a book being written about the event with major celebrities adding their names. Things like that.

Here is a revised version.

Stage 1: Someone says something false publicly.

Stage 2: Credibility. Someone else does something official-looking about it to back it up.

Stage 3: Speculation. Fear mongering in the press and communications outlets.

Stage 4: More credibility as heavy hitters join in claiming it is 100% true. Maybe acting on it.

POINT OF NO RETURN. DAMAGE GETS DONE.

Stage 5: Oops.

Who can't write a short story using that AS A plot outline? Or at least use that template for part of the outline?

Hell, this is a perfect template for smearing someone. (Why do I keep thinking about James Valliant?) 

Michael

Man, the alt media people are shining in their analyses these days.

Here is Polly giving the breakdown of how cults work in a different form than I am accustomed to reading and thinking about them.

In fact, her version can easily be integrated with Howard Bloom's global brain description, except in her version, the super-organism (the cult) has a flaming narcissist in full blaze at the top.

And, unfortunately, her idea describes some corners of O-Land perfectly. (But not here on OL. We're the good guys. :) )

1uspBlyRo4BE_640x360.jpg
WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

Narcissism isn’t just a personality trait, it’s a system of control. I go through the basics and then offer ideas on how to end it. VISIT MY WEBSITE! https://amazingpolly.net/contact-support.php *THANK YOU...

I am going to write more about all this later, but Polly just did a fantastic analysis, one of her best to date.

Polly even bashes a person who became a huge disappointment to me, Steve Hassan. Steve is an expert on cults and I became quite familiar with his work when I was studying Scientology from an independent view. But a little while ago, he wrote an entire book on why supporting Trump is the same as belonging to a cult.

Polly calls Steve an "enabler of the cult narrative" and she is spot on. Rather than get people out of thinking according to a cult structure and into thinking independently, Steve has tried to use Trump as the scapegoat to maintain the predator class's cult structure.

The cure is to spit yourself out of all cult structures and narratives, not simply swap one for another.

btw - For the record, Polly's pyramid for a cult goes like this:

Chief narcissist at the top.
Golden children one level below.
Enablers the next level down, but enablers happen at all levels and are the glue that hold the structure together.
Lost children (the clueless, but this group is massive).

Sitting outside the cult, but just as fundamental to its existence, is the scapegoat or enemy.

Harold Bloom's super-organism breakdown goes like this:

The brain at the top, whether individual or a group

Conformity enforcers
Diversity generators
Inner-judges (who permeate the entire superorganism and take themselves out through apoptosis when they can no longer function to the benefit of the superorganism)
Resource shifters
Intergroup tournaments

When you blend those two together, you have the perfect villain society with all the main group archetypes spelled out. These are the roles main characters play in the existence of the super-organism/cult. Maybe there are some I haven't yet discovered and I will add them when I do, but these pretty much fill the concept to completeness, at least up to what I can perceive so far.

And I now I am a very happy man. I have a huge chunk of my fiction-writing problems solved. Especially since this clarity is exactly what I needed to make a projected work of mine work (The Apostate, which is based loosely--as a kind of flexible outline--on some of Barbara Branden's experiences, but not to the point of being a roman à clef, with a lot of other stuff, too).

Enjoy the video, oh ye who have eyes to see and ears to listen.

More coming, you can be sure. 

Michael

They said the quiet part out loud, again:

WEF Advisor: ‘We Don’t Need Vast Majority of Population’

quotes:

World Economic Forum (WEF) advisor Yuval Noah Harari has declared that “we just don’t need the vast majority of the population” in today’s world.

According to Harari, most of the general public have now become “redundant” and will be of little use to the global elite in the future.

Harari, who describes himself as a historian and futurist, argues that modern technologies like artificial intelligence “make it possible to replace the people.”

He made the remarks during an interview with Chris Anderson, the head of TED.

Harari, who is a principal advisor to the WEF and the organization’s founder Klaus Schwab, assessed widespread contemporary disillusionment among “common people” as being rooted in a fear of being “left behind” in a future run by “smart people.”

and

Most people don’t contribute anything to that, except perhaps for their data, and whatever people are still doing which is useful, these technologies increasingly will make redundant and will make it possible to replace the people.”

(Read full article here: )

world-economic-forum-adviser-yuval-noah-
SLAYNEWS.COM

World Economic Forum (WEF) adviser Yuval Noah Harari has declared that "we just don’t need the vast majority of the population” in today's...

13 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

They said the quiet part out loud, again:

WEF Advisor: ‘We Don’t Need Vast Majority of Population’

quotes:

World Economic Forum (WEF) advisor Yuval Noah Harari has declared that “we just don’t need the vast majority of the population” in today’s world.

According to Harari, most of the general public have now become “redundant” and will be of little use to the global elite in the future.

Harari, who describes himself as a historian and futurist, argues that modern technologies like artificial intelligence “make it possible to replace the people.”

He made the remarks during an interview with Chris Anderson, the head of TED.

Harari, who is a principal advisor to the WEF and the organization’s founder Klaus Schwab, assessed widespread contemporary disillusionment among “common people” as being rooted in a fear of being “left behind” in a future run by “smart people.”

and

Most people don’t contribute anything to that, except perhaps for their data, and whatever people are still doing which is useful, these technologies increasingly will make redundant and will make it possible to replace the people.”

(Read full article here: )

world-economic-forum-adviser-yuval-noah-
SLAYNEWS.COM

World Economic Forum (WEF) adviser Yuval Noah Harari has declared that "we just don’t need the vast majority of the population” in today's...

You conspiracy theorists!!!

• Smile 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here is Polly giving the breakdown of how cults work

Her definition, her psychological insight, her relating narcissism to a model cult formation, I put a short cut from the beginning into a Substack podcast. 

Substack has just added more excellence to its platform. You can now dictate directly and add multiple audio embeds within a single post. And each embed is playable within the tweet containing the Substack link.  I will try out that new function to see if I understand it. 

Edited by william.scherk
RSS: https://api.substack.com/feed/podcast/725000/private/71ec5f59-febd-4ca3-87ac-ece385d00197.rss