Climate Scam

dennislmay

Fox News reports this spring is the 2nd coldest in US history - the coldest

being 1975 when the worry was the coming ice age. I remember the science

magazines of the time reporting the coming ice age very well - in conjunction

with nuclear winter hysteria supported by left wing extremists like Carl Sagan.

That lasted until the ozone hole became the new hysteria. When Carl Sagan's

failed science on the mini-nuclear winter caused by Iraq's burning oil fields

failed to happen the coming ice age talk slowly went away. The ozone hole

hysteria was a successful political instrument allowing political insiders to

become rich as insider trading on chemical and refrigerant futures was a

predictable way to get rich. With that financial and political success as

a test bed global warming with fraudulent data and useless modeling became

the next fortune to be had. A trillion dollars is expected to transfer into

the hands of political insiders if the carbon trading scheme is ever fully

enacted.

It snowed yesterday in Omaha, it is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow

in NE Missouri. When it is hot it is due to global warming, when it is cold

that is climate change, when temperatures are normal that is due to some

process offsetting global warming.

Dennis

They always blame any change in climate on the capitalists.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

Can you imagine the cost to clean up China if it ever becomes anything like a free country? A good friend of my brother was a German exchange student in high school. After the fall of the Berlin wall he did a motorcycle tour of East Germany. He said the filth was unbelievable.

Dennis

Ba'al Chatzaf

Rather like blaming it on evil magic.

The climate scam is such a racket.

Fred Singer, in his pithy fashion, once described the carbon-trading scheme as a way to transfer money from the poor of the rich nations to the rich of the poor nations.

And then there's the issue of power, and grant money, and subsidized industries, and.....

Ellen

Ba'al Chatzaf

Rather like blaming it on evil magic.

The climate scam is such a racket.

Fred Singer, in his pithy fashion, once described the carbon-trading scheme as a way to transfer money from the poor of the rich nations to the rich of the poor nations.

And then there's the issue of power, and grant money, and subsidized industries, and.....

Ellen

My Facebook comment about the same video:

I never had much use for the APS - once they went PC for the quick bucks and supported the global warming hysteria they lost all credibility. An elementary understanding of non-linear computer modeling rules out the global warming modeling as representing anything like science. Not only is there no consensus supporting man made global warming the modeling is no good and no field experiments have been done to support the modeling - same for the ozone hole hysteria before it that failed to give the central planners all they wanted.

I like how the video discusses the collapse of the peer review process - entirely incestuous. Now if we could only get more people to understand how the peer review process has also collapsed in portions of theoretical physics and cosmology in a similar manner and for many of the same reasons.

Dennis

This is one of those issues where even if it is true that the world's climate is changing due to our habits, none of the people claiming to solve the problem are going to do anything but fill their pocket books. Any greed you can attribute to the loan capitalist you should be fearful ten times over of capitalists and politicians.

This is how I feel about war also. Even if we should go to war with Iran, Obama (or the next guy or gal) is just going to screw it up so bad we might be better off if doesn't fight the war.

I have finally found a sensible book on climate. The Whole Story of Climate: What science reveals about the nature of endless change. by E. Kirsten Peters.

She is a geologist and she has teased out the history of climate on this planet by studying sediments, rocks, core samples. Geologists and Paleontologists are practitioners of real honest to god empirical science. They dig in shit, bust up rocks with their picks, see the lay of the land as it is, and figure out from that what was. Too many of us have become theoretical physics snobs (I am guilty) and often don't see good science unless it comes to the ball dressed in exquisite mathematical finery.

The geologists and paleontologists have found genuine climate surrogates: various type of silts, rocks, plant matter embedded in mud cores etc. They even name climatic epochs after plant matter: e.g. The Older Dryas, the Younger Dryas etc. etc. according to the dominant plant matter alive at the time of the epoch. The main thing I learned from Peter's book is that climate shifts occur much more frequently than we have been told by the Global Warming Mavens and more than that, climate shifts can happen rapidly, not just over long stretches of geological time, but in -decades- sometimes within a human lifetime. For example, 4300 years ago a climate shift happened in north Africa that destroyed an Egyptian dynasty. The rains failed the flooding of the Nile failed and there were Lean Years just as told in the BIble in the Joseph stories.

The geological and the paleontological evidence for the sudden change in rainfall patters is written into the rocks and the river silts. In a way this is scarier than the chicken little tales of the anthropological global warmists. We are currently in one of the longer stretches of pleasant warm climate. Not too long ago (from 1300-1800 c.e.) there was a cold snap which was not a true ice age, but one which brought crop failure and large scale loss of human life. It turns out the civilizations rose during times of moderate climate and collapsed when the climate became nasty. We are over due for the next cold snap. It may not necessarily be the beginning of the next Ice Age, but it could bring major crop failures to the temperate zones. That means the current bread baskets which are instrumental in supporting a world population of seven billion may collapse over a period of 50 to 100 years, or perhaps even less. That means a lot of people are going to die. Not by fire, but by excess rain washing away crops, cold snaps bringing crop failure, desertification of some areas (it is already happening in China where they have a lot of mouths to feed). It will be death by hunger. This is not the picture that the global warmers are painting for us. This book shows the evidence for prior rapid climate change is strong and well founded. It is solid. It is in the rocks, in the silts, the muds and the fossilized shit of prior eras. The earth itself tells the story of its past.

Ba'al Chatzaf

... Too many of us have become theoretical physics snobs (I am guilty) and often don't see good science unless it comes to the ball dressed in exquisite mathematical finery.

"Since the Renaissance, the term experiment has been used in diverse ways to describe a variety of procedures such as a trial, a diagnosis, or a dissection ... ("What Counts as an Experiment?: A Transdisciplinary Analysis of Textbooks, 1930-1970," Andrew S. Winston and Daniel J. Blais. The American Journal of Psychology, Vol. 109, No. 4 (Winter, 1996), pp. 599-616.) To which I add: "As passive description, ethnography is not highly regarded, though it is passionately defended. Passive description is good science – and good description is not passive. We bring our expectations to our observations. A scientist knows to be ware of preconceived notions and to be open to new perceptions. At the same time, the scientific observer often has good reason to seek exactly the phenomenon under investigation. It is not really passive. If only implicitly, certain factors are held constant, while others change. Aristotle’s description of the chick embryo is a paradigmatic example cited as one of the greatest scientific experiments in history."

... The main thing I learned from Peter's book is that climate shifts occur much more frequently than we have been told by the Global Warming Mavens and more than that, climate shifts can happen rapidly, not just over long stretches of geological time...

As there are no daisies growing on glaciers, the presence of such flowers in the stomach of a mammoth seemingly killed when it fell into a crevice, suggests that the beast was killed by the advance of the ice sheet over the spot where it had been grazing -- and at a rate faster than it could run. (Just my theory.)

The same sort of problem is inherent in the idea that the Native Americans migrated across an ice sheet from Asia to America. Dude, could you talk your wife into something like that? Myself, I think that some other sequence of events took place.

... crop failure and large scale loss of human life. It turns out the civilizations rose during times of moderate climate and collapsed when the climate became nasty.

And yet we never actually became extinct. Here we are. In fact, civilization - city life - per se actually protects us from climate change. Even when local farms fail, cities can, have, and today actually do, import the food they need. My wife grew up in Traverse City, Michigan, "Cherry Capital" of the world or at least the USA. But it is a chancy thing, and some years, the crops are disapppointing. But Washington State grows cherries (and apples). We get blueberries and raspberries in the middle of winter from Chile.

And those Bell Peppers (green, yellow, red) can come from Mexico, and China grows tons more, but Whole Foods like the ones from the Netherlands, grown indoors (see here).

Like the death of Mark Twain, reports of the end of the world have been exaggerated in its lifetime.

... Too many of us have become theoretical physics snobs (I am guilty) and often don't see good science unless it comes to the ball dressed in exquisite mathematical finery.

"Since the Renaissance, the term experiment has been used in diverse ways to describe a variety of procedures such as a trial, a diagnosis, or a dissection ... ("What Counts as an Experiment?: A Transdisciplinary Analysis of Textbooks, 1930-1970," Andrew S. Winston and Daniel J. Blais. The American Journal of Psychology, Vol. 109, No. 4 (Winter, 1996), pp. 599-616.) To which I add: "As passive description, ethnography is not highly regarded, though it is passionately defended. Passive description is good science – and good description is not passive. We bring our expectations to our observations. A scientist knows to be ware of preconceived notions and to be open to new perceptions. At the same time, the scientific observer often has good reason to seek exactly the phenomenon under investigation. It is not really passive. If only implicitly, certain factors are held constant, while others change. Aristotle’s description of the chick embryo is a paradigmatic example cited as one of the greatest scientific experiments in history."

>... The main thing I learned from Peter's book is that climate shifts occur much more frequently than we have been told by the Global Warming Mavens and more than that, climate shifts can happen rapidly, not just over long stretches of geological time...

As there are no daisies growing on glaciers, the presence of such flowers in the stomach of a mammoth seemingly killed when it fell into a crevice, suggests that the beast was killed by the advance of the ice sheet over the spot where it had been grazing -- and at a rate faster than it could run. (Just my theory.)

The same sort of problem is inherent in the idea that the Native Americans migrated across an ice sheet from Asia to America. Dude, could you talk your wife into something like that? Myself, I think that some other sequence of events took place.

... crop failure and large scale loss of human life. It turns out the civilizations rose during times of moderate climate and collapsed when the climate became nasty.

And yet we never actually became extinct. Here we are. In fact, civilization - city life - per se actually protects us from climate change. Even when local farms fail, cities can, have, and today actually do, import the food they need. My wife grew up in Traverse City, Michigan, "Cherry Capital" of the world or at least the USA. But it is a chancy thing, and some years, the crops are disapppointing. But Washington State grows cherries (and apples). We get blueberries and raspberries in the middle of winter from Chile.

And those Bell Peppers (green, yellow, red) can come from Mexico, and China grows tons more, but Whole Foods like the ones from the Netherlands, grown indoors (see here).

Like the death of Mark Twain, reports of the end of the world have been exaggerated in its lifetime.

Humans have been around for a quarter of a million years (give or take). During most of that time they were not civilized. They existed in smallish hunting gathering groups. The great civilizations have risen and fallen only since the last great Ice Age and then during the interglacial periods.

One of the necessary conditions for great civilizations to arise is that the climatic conditions conduce to successful agriculture. No crops, no great civilizations. Enough food has to be grown to afford a king, a standing army, a coven of priests and an occasional philosopher.

Read the book. You will find it both amusing and informative.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob, I intend to read the book - and thanks for the review. My local library has two copies. However, I have another project right now (several in fact) so it will be leisure reading for later.

We should have a discussion of JANE JACOBS and her book, The Economy of Cities. Cities caused agriculture, not the other way around. You would have to ask why in 250,000 years (give or take) no one thought to plant seeds. It was not that food was always abundant. And it was not that people were migratory. One of the traditional theories for the invention of agriculture is specifically that people planted crops purposely so that on their return trek, they could harvest them. Why, then, did was agriculture associated only with the rise of cities? Do any pastoralists do this migratory planting today? Did the native Americans? No. They developed agriculture only after they settled into large communities.

But as I say, that is a separate discussion...

OVER the past 15 years air temperatures at the Earth’s surface have been flat while greenhouse-gas emissions have continued to soar. The world added roughly 100 billion tonnes of carbon to the atmosphere between 2000 and 2010. That is about a quarter of all the CO₂ put there by humanity since 1750. And yet, as James Hansen, the head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, observes, “the five-year mean global temperature has been flat for a decade.”

Temperatures fluctuate over short periods, but this lack of new warming is a surprise. Ed Hawkins, of the University of Reading, in Britain, points out that surface temperatures since 2005 are already at the low end of the range of projections derived from 20 climate models (see chart 1). If they remain flat, they will fall outside the models’ range within a few years.

The Economist here but you can follow many links to the original report.

• 7 months later...

GLOBAL WARMING SCIENTISTS TRAPPED IN ANTARCTIC ICE

It is astounding how the "news" services avoid mentioning what the mission of the ship was ...Reuters - no mention...AP - no mention...

Finally, National Geographic bluntly states the mission purpose:

...The current crop of explorers are hoping to document some of the same data and compare them to Mawson's numbers, "using the twist of modern technology," Turney told National Geographic earlier this month.

As may be expected,
global warming
might play a role in this, he suggests, particularly with respect to melted ice in the East Antarctic.

htttp://newsbusters.org/blogs/pj-gladnick/2013/12/28/msm-glosses-over-irony-global-warming-scientists-trapped-antarctic-ice#ixzz2ovITxKYv

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/pj-gladnick/2013/12/28/msm-glosses-over-irony-global-warming-scientists-trapped-antarctic-ice#ixzz2ovITxKYv

I have not stopped laughing since I saw this on Drudge this morning...

Reality wins again...

A...