Thoughts on the Boston Marathon Bombing?

Now here's this gem:

Obama thanks Putin for help in Boston
by Josh Rogin
April 19, 2013
Foreign Policy

From the article:

President Barack Obama spoke with Russian President Vladimir Putin Friday evening and thanked the Russian leader for unspecified cooperation in the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombings.

Well, I'm glad we got our priorities straight.

Now that the really important stuff is done, the President can start going down the list and take care of the other important stuff...

Michael

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as icing to the previous article:

Boston bombs: Obama lulled America into false confidence over terror threat
By Peter Foster
April 20, 2013
Telegraph

From the article:

In his State of the Union address to the American people earlier this year, Barack Obama declared that he was "confident" of achieving "our objective of defeating the core of al-Qaeda".

Although he acknowledged the need to pursue the "remnants" of the terrorist group and its affiliates, the overall message was clear – al-Qaeda was badly degraded, the tides of war were receding and the US was winning this fight that was no longer even officially a war.

The Boston bombings would appear to present a fundamental challenge to that assessment...

. . .

Mr Obama and his intelligence community know the threat from al-Qaeda affiliates, but have chosen to downplay it to the US public.

Even when that fight does directly touch on American lives, as it did last September when the US ambassador to Libya was murdered in Benghazi by an al-Qaeda linked group, the administration appears at pains to deny the connection.

I wonder how long it's going to be before people start saying attacks like the Boston Marathon bombing did not happen on USA soil under Bush after 9/11.

Not that I'm any fan of Bush. (I'm not.) But I predict this is a crack and the Bush comparison mantra coming from it will grow and grow and grow...

Michael

And as icing to the previous article:

Boston bombs: Obama lulled America into false confidence over terror threat

By Peter Foster

April 20, 2013

Telegraph

From the article:

In his State of the Union address to the American people earlier this year, Barack Obama declared that he was "confident" of achieving "our objective of defeating the core of al-Qaeda".

Although he acknowledged the need to pursue the "remnants" of the terrorist group and its affiliates, the overall message was clear – al-Qaeda was badly degraded, the tides of war were receding and the US was winning this fight that was no longer even officially a war.

The Boston bombings would appear to present a fundamental challenge to that assessment...

. . .

Mr Obama and his intelligence community know the threat from al-Qaeda affiliates, but have chosen to downplay it to the US public.

Even when that fight does directly touch on American lives, as it did last September when the US ambassador to Libya was murdered in Benghazi by an al-Qaeda linked group, the administration appears at pains to deny the connection.

I wonder how long it's going to be before people start saying attacks like the Boston Marathon bombing did not happen on USA soil under Bush after 9/11.

Not that I'm any fan of Bush. (I'm not.) But I predict this is a crack and the Bush comparison mantra coming from it will grow and grow and grow...

Michael

Obama expressed confidence that the objective of defeating the core of Al Qaeda was achievable.

Foster apparently interpreted that as "Don't worry America, our problems are over! There's simply no possible way we'll ever have another terror attack here in the USA."

Sounds like Foster is thrilled that he now has some material to help him keep to fear machine alive.

The media was building up a Tea Party terrorist connection from day one with no evidence what-so-ever. If that becomes the

FBI narrative at some point as well, everything they say will have to be compared to everything out there on the web to determine

who is lying - and we may still never know. Obama has broken the public trust so how can his administration ever be trusted on

anything ever again when the question suits his political goals and he can control the information?

Dennis

That's interesting... I read CNN every day and this is the first I've heard of the media building up a Tea-Party terrorist narrative. Good thing you told me - wouldn't have known it from actually reading the stories they have been posting.

First of all, thank you for your service.

Secondly, I am not aware of what information that you have access to.

However, what would happen if you logged on to Al Jazeera @:

http://www.aljazeera.com/#

????

A...

Thanks brother.

I have no doubt that there are people logging onto al Jazeera's news site on the ship every day. We do keep up on such things, you know? ;)

As for what information I have access to... I'd tell you, but them I'd have to kill you.

Sounds like Foster is thrilled that he now has some material to help him keep to fear machine alive.

Kacy,

Nah, I doubt it.

He's working for an English paper and giving the "European" perspective on USA woes.

You talked about respect for the violence potential of a dog's jaws or Tony Soprano in another thread.

That's more the issue.

Obama lost America's respect (that kind) before the bad guys. They are starting to think we are wimps and fools and cowards who can only strike from drones.

Michael

Obama lost America's respect (that kind) before the bad guys. They are starting to think we are wimps and fools and cowards who can only strike from drones.

Michael

I don't think so. Although I can't say I agree with Obama's entire approach on foreign policy, a display of weakness is not one fault I'd peg on him.

What do we have to do to appear strong? Send in ground troops to every country on the planet? Bomb everyone? I think we're doing fine. We have good relationships with our coalition counterparts, and I can tell you, as a guy who has been on the staff during combined exercises with Canadians, Australians, Maylasians, Indonesionas, Tongans, Peruvians, Indonesians, Koreans, Kiwis, Mexicans, and Chileans, I see no indication of any lack of respect toward the US Military. In fact, I've seen a good deal of deference.

I was on the staff of SPMAGTF-3 during RIMPAC-10 and RIMPAC-12, which were each, at the time they were executed, the largest maritime exercise in history. I worked with all of the above named coalition partners - some more closely than others - but enough to get a sense of how we are perceived by them. Hell, one of the Aussie officers from RIMPAC-10 is still a Facebook friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_RIMPAC

So sorry... I'm not buying that. And I think my street cred is good on this.

The following is from a Russia TV article:

-------------------------------------------------

Zubeidat Tsarnaeva ...

... expressed her dismay at the allegations, recounting Dzhokhar’s life in the US and talking of his status among his peers and friends ...

But her biggest suspicion surrounding the case was the constant FBI surveillance she said her family was subjected to over the years. She is surprised that having been so stringent with the entire family, the FBI had no idea the sons were supposedly planning a terrorist act.

"They used to come [to our] home, they used to talk to me…they were telling me that he [the older, 26-y/o Tamerlan] was really an extremist leader and that they were afraid of him. They told me whatever information he is getting, he gets from these extremist sites… they were controlling him, they were controlling his every step…and now they say that this is a terrorist act! Never ever is this true, my sons are innocent!"

Russian 'Alpha' Special Forces team-veteran and vice-president of its International Association, Aleksey Filatov, believes there is more to the case than meets the eye. He emphasizes, firstly, that the origin and religious beliefs of the suspect, along with the specifics of the bombing, have all been carefully pre-meditated and planned by someone within the United States in order to distract the public from the true identity and long-term aims of the actual planners.

"Putting a young Chechen in those shoes was top-notch professionalism in distracting everyone from the true identity and motives of the planner," he told RT.

"The executors were chosen to confuse the American public and simultaneously untie the White House’s hands in a way that would justify a departure from the rhetoric of non-involvement in military action on foreign territories." rt.com/usa/tsarnaev-brothers-parents-innocent-124

-------------------------------------------------

The article doesn't say how Aleksey Filatov knows this. It looks like conjecture at this point, though not unfounded conjecture given the mother's statement (even discounting her claim that the FBI was “controlling” her sons).

In the interview (audio in the link) the mother says the FBI had been tracking the older son for three years. Even if Filatov's conjecture is wrong this is huge news yet at this point I can't find it in the mainstream media.

www.politico.com/story/2013/04/no-miranda-rights-for-now-for-bombing-suspect-90362.html

There seems to be a debate over whether to proceed with this as criminal case or a military one. Some want to treat him as an "enemy combatant."

This appears to be a criminal case, the creep's motivation for the crime is irrelevant. After all, this is – or used to be? – America. If found guilty in a Massachusetts civilian criminal court the maximum penalty would be life without parole.

The feds should be out of it completely by now except as witnesses for the prosecution.

[/quote

Absolutely. In Boston he bombed and the people of Boston should be his judges.

www.politico.com/story/2013/04/no-miranda-rights-for-now-for-bombing-suspect-90362.html

There seems to be a debate over whether to proceed with this as criminal case or a military one. Some want to treat him as an "enemy combatant."

This appears to be a criminal case, the creep's motivation for the crime is irrelevant. After all, this is – or used to be? – America. If found guilty in a Massachusetts civilian criminal court the maximum penalty would be life without parole.

The feds should be out of it completely by now except as witnesses for the prosecution.

[/quote

I agree. I think the American justice system is reliable enough that we can trust the state of Massachusetts with this case.

Anyway, it appears these guys had no real connection to any organized radical group. It looks like the older one was just a sympathizer with radicalists, and the younger brother was along for the ride. These are two naturalized citizens that should be tried by an American court. As you said - let the people they've harmed be their judges.

[/quote

Given that the Ft Hood terrorist killer has yet to go to trial, I expect Holder to pass on prosecuting this case. While Tsarnaev would be eligible for the death penalty on a federal offense,the Obama admin lacks the 'nads to execute a foreigner, especially one of Islamic persuasion.

"... Tsarnaev would be eligible for the death penalty on a federal offense ..."

The crime was committed on Boston city property against civilians, so he isn't or at least shouldn't be.

The very idea of a federal crime is problematic. All crimes occur somewhere, perhaps at multiple somewheres. Better to prosecute them locally. Police and judges and other politicos are better kept under control if they aren't too far away.

Wait. Just wait. I am waiting for the claim that these poor Chechen kids were set up to be patsies and framed for the Marathon Massacre. it was really the (a. Illuminati b. The Bilderbergers c. The New World Order d The Trilateral Commision e. The corrupt Obama Administration) that arranged for the pressure cookers to be set up months before and then exploded to get the heat and bad publicity off of the Evil Obama and his confederates.

Just wait. You'll see.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Folks:

These were naturalized citizens. Their act could be considered treason and the surviving bomber and his handlers/other members of the cell, if any, could definitely face the death penalty.

A...

Some of the stuff Mr. Kolker mentions is ridiculous but given the FBI's recent history the FBI should always be a prime suspect.

A point James Corbett makes in this excellent video:

However the Tsarnaev brothers are unlike the FBI patsies described in the above links. Apparently they went through with an attack willingly, knowingly, enthusiastically, and perhaps without being paid for it.

ADDED:

Identity of the Men In Black and Khaki Uniforms at the Boston Marathon Bombings

They were from the New York and Massachusetts Army National Guards' "Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team" (1st & 24th respectively) augmented by those of New York and Rhode Island (24th & 13th resp.). Their presence suggests that there may have been prior intelligence of a possible bombing or, as was announced at the time, there was a drill going on. (The latter would make a trilogy with 9-11 and the London Underground bombing.)

Does a treason law apply to civilians?

Absolutely - the Rosenbergs late 1940's

Some of the stuff Mr. Kolker mentions is ridiculous but given the FBI's recent history the FBI should always be a prime suspect.

However the Tsarnaev brothers are unlike the FBI patsies described in the above links. Apparently they went through with an attack willingly, knowingly, enthusiastically, and perhaps without being paid for it.

If it were the FBI, they would have burned the boat under which the younger Chechen was hiding.

Ba'al Chatzaf

If it were the FBI, they would have burned the boat under which the younger Chechen was hiding.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I suspect that boat was a boat now full of bullet holes.

--Brant

lots of shots were fired

I don't think so. Although I can't say I agree with Obama's entire approach on foreign policy, a display of weakness is not one fault I'd peg on him.

What do we have to do to appear strong? Send in ground troops to...

Kacy,

You're confusing perception with action.

Reality is not perceived the same by everyone. People have their local mindsets, legends, attitudes, etc. when they look. Sometimes we call this context.

Believe me, the bad guys do not respect Obama. I don't want to sound overly-simplistic, but I have lived among people with an Arabian-like mentality. (I actually married into it for several years.)

It's a macho thing and it's as simple as that.

Obama is not seen as a real man with clear intentions. He's seen as a deceptive technocrat who is a puppet for pure evil. Not really the Great Satan anymore. Still dangerous, but no longer like a lion. More like the leader of a pack of rabid jackals. And that feeling is transferred to America.

Just look at the news reports over there. Look at the polls. Look at what the radical Imams come out with in public.

The tone has definitely changed.

And, of course, we are now getting attacked over here on American soil. This will increase. The acts of these brothers is seen as inspiration by the bad guys and how easy it is to strike the jackals. The brothers are heroes courageously standing in an outgunned shootout to boot. That's how they are seen. I expect to see T-Shirts before too long.

You ask what should we do. It's simple, but Obama would die a thousand deaths before he would ever do that. Just simply say we will rain hell on you if you keep it up while cutting off funds. Remember Reagan? "We did what we had to do and if necessary, we'll do it again."

Russia and China would have shit-fits, but the tone would definitely change back to respect.

Michael

Speaking of respect, they did not read the murderer his Miranda rights when they took him in captivity.

What jerks. The murderer is an American on American soil with the same rights everyone has, even if he is a terrorist caught in a manhunt.

This is a terrible precedent that will bear bitter fruit later.

Obama uses the law very selectively without a shred of concern about freedom.

So I, too, do not respect him in an honor sense. I, too, see him as a deceptive jackal, a sucker-punch junkie who gets off on ambushes and stealth strikes from behind in the middle of the night.

And if he's wrong, well, oops. (Just the same as that extraordinary rendition crap of former administrations.)

Not a lion, not even a lion's shadow.

Michael

Obama had nothing to do with the Miranda decision, which came down the year he turned five and which - correct me if I'm wrong - spelled out a national-security exception. He probably had nothing to do with invoking the exception in this case. It strikes me as an unwise move because there was no evidence of further danger, much less a national emergency, once the two brothers were no longer at large. Some defense lawyer will make much of this and may succeed in getting his client off (at least on appeal).

I'm not into psychoanalyzing creeps but it seems to me the perps are more psychopaths than Moslem terrorists. There's a religious fanatic connection to be sure but it seems to be more an excuse than sufficient reason. Perhaps the strongest we can say in that line is that Islam nudged them over the edge.

One indication is that the younger man, a psychopath as much as his brother, wasn't nearly as much into Islam as his brother.

But whether they are religious fanatics or psychopaths doesn't matter in one respect. As Mike points out: their act will inspire politically motivated terrorists.

Mike's solution to that, though, goes but halfway. Besides carrying the big stick the U.S. needs to stop mucking around all over the world. Why is it unpatriotic to point out that if you enter a war, whether it's a just or unjust war, you will be attacked? And that the particular wars the U.S. enters are unjust? The U.S. behavior is a total loss to Americans, though it lines the pockets of those connected to the war machine.

Andrzej Łobaczewski on psychopaths – I don't buy all of it but it's an interesting interview.