Incredible Women's Ice Hockey

Must be the good old gender feminist fore checking, nagging and "stick" play that did it!!

Frigidity breeds toughness..!

God, I hate shootouts, and I would still hate them even if we ever won any.

They don't belong in the regular season. I grew up wth the Original Sx who took draws and a point each, and in playoffs kept playing till nearly everyone dropped and the best men won.

They don't belong in the regular season. I grew up wth the Original Sx who took draws and a point each, and in playoffs kept playing till nearly everyone dropped and the best men won.

Totally agree.

I feel the same way with the designated hitter in baseball.

Totally agree.

Yes, the DH always reminds me of the rich guys who paid poorer ones to do their soldiering for them. Unsportsmanlike conduct indeed.

Totally agree.

Yes, the DH always reminds me of the rich guys who paid poorer ones to do their soldiering for them. Unsportsmanlike conduct indeed.

Carol:

To the best of my knowledge, that "option" only happened in our Civil War and only in the North.

Are you referring to a policy in Canada?

A...

What is "icew"?

:smile:

(I went ahead and fixed it.)

Michael

A new breed of ice found only in Canada.

It is said to be tougher than steel, and it can out-drink an Irishman.

What is "icew"?

:smile:

(I went ahead and fixed it.)

Michael

A new breed of ice found only in Canada.

It is said to be tougher than steel, and it can out-drink an Irishman.

lol, you are correct Kyle.

It is only an urban myth that the term derived from the utterance of South Asian immigrants on their first Canadian winter: "Ice.....Eeww!"

Totally agree.

Carol:

To the best of my knowledge, that "option" only happened in our Civil War and only in the North.

Are you referring to a policy in Canada?

A...

No, it was the American history that came to mind -- but I had the idea that it happened in the Revolutionary War too...am I mistaken?

No, it was the American history that came to mind -- but I had the idea that it happened in the Revolutionary War too...am I mistaken?

I am not certain, however, I do not believe there was conscription in the Revolutionary War where you could pay your way out of.

Colonial and Early National

Colonial militia laws--and after independence those of the United States and the various states--required able-bodied males to enroll in the militia, to undergo a minimum of military training, and to serve for limited periods of time in war or emergency. This earliest form of conscription involved selective drafts of militiamen for service in particular campaigns. Following this system in its essentials, the Continental Congress in 1778 recommended that the states draft men from their militias for one year's service in the Continental army; this first national conscription was irregularly applied and failed to fill the Continental ranks during the American Revolution. In 1814, President James Madison proposed conscription of 40,000 men for the army, but the War of 1812 ended before Congress took any action.

John Shy's A People Numerous & Armed: Reflections on the Military Struggle for American Independence, is a collection of short essays written by a renowned military historian. He contends that other historians' approaches to the subject of military history are to preoccupied with battles and their commanding officers. Shy's focus of his thesis the American soldiers during the American Revolution as a unique collection of volunteer soldiers that fought either part-time in the militias or fought full time in the Continental Army. In each individual essay he explores how his thesis affects different aspects of the war based on the American soldiers view.

Shy continues, explaining that:

...the American perspective of enlisted soldier consisted of two forms of volunteer, either militia or continental soldier; both are didactic in their difference. Even though America drafted some soldiers into the army, this was a small number that it did not affect the greater number of enlisted troops. The militia, Shy described had many different explanations of exactly what the typical militiamen looked liked. Shy equated the typical militia soldier to typically being a man in his upper twenties, a landholding farmer of the lower to middleclass. There are many factors needed to understand why this classification is fairly accurate. As the militia members tended to stay localized in their theater of warfare, the middleclass farmer could not afford to be away from his estate for long periods of time. During the Revolutionary period, farmers tended to be older gentlemen as the family and estate were typically passed from father to eldest son.

Interesting article by Caleb Klinger where the Shy treatise is referenced...

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/revolutionarywar/articles/americanrevolution.aspx