The Girl Scouts Code of Fire

The Girl Scouts Code of Fire

I don't know why, but the following meme caught my eye and really cracked me up, I got it from the blog, A Life on Your Own Terms--article: How to Say No to Girls Scouts & Live to Tell the Tale:

GirlScoutsFire.jpg

:smile:

Michael

For about a year and a half I left a note posted near my front door in case girl scouts came around - it concerned the Girl Scouts supporting some Progressive organization [making the news for 1 day]. No girl scouts have shown up so I threw away the note a few months ago. I'm still not going to buy again.

Dennis

That's funny. I did a lot of fundraising for Cub Scouts and school as a kid. Certain people in the neighborhood never had money on them, otherwise they definitely would've bought some gift wrap. I should've taken a tip from that girl. You see this fire merit badge? Why don't you find your checkbook before I earn another one.

The last time I bought Girl Scout cookies was when a girl at the grocery store stood in my way and asked me as I was leaving. But I haven't seen any of the scouts at the grocery store do that since I moved to Texas. Maybe it's store policy or maybe their scout leaders don't care. I busted my ass every year selling popcorn to win those esteemed BSA Victorinox Swiss Army knives.

Today I would not even cosider talking to an under age female in a girl scout outfit without three witnesses and a video of the interaction...

Girl scouts don't go door to door anymore alone (I hope to God). They sell in front of food and drug stores with tables and adult supervision.

In the spring of 1973 I left my NJ home for a road trip to upper New England. When I got home my step-mother said a girl scout in the town just south of us had disappeared the week before and they were frantically hunting for her. They nailed it down to the last home she had gone to and the school-teacher living with his mother confessed to rape and murder and took the cops to the body just north in NY state. He's gotta still be in prison.

I drove by the house where she was murdered a time or two wondering how such a horror could have happened in such a typical place that looked like hundreds of thousands of homes in north-eastern New Jersey.

--Brant

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2197505/posts

sorry to ruin this humor thread, but that 40yo murder burned a hole in my head then and still does

Essentially, Brant, because "communities" have abrogated their essential responsibilities of policing their neighborhoods.

I can clearly remember that, at the age of 10 or 11, my father, and the local community became aware of a young man who was exposing himself in a window before all of us as we walked to school.

I had never obseved his "perfomance." However, the "community" = local citizens, had a serious discussion with his parents, and, apparently made them an offer they could not refuse. He "vanished" and apparently was institutionalized which was, apparently, a lot better than being dead which, from what I was told,was the other option.

Alot more accurate, and a lot more effective than today. And has the same liability exposures without the costs.

A...

Essentially, Brant, because "communities" have abrogated their essential responsibilities of policing their neighborhoods.

I can clearly remember that, at the age of 10 or 11, my father, and the local community became aware of a young man who was exposing himself in a window before all of us as we walked to school.

I had never obseved his "perfomance." Howevr, the "community" = local citizens, had a serious discussion with his parents and apparently made them an offer they could not refuse. He "vanished" and apparently was institutionalized which was a lot better than being dead which, from what I was told was the other option,

A...

When I was in college in Omaha a child molester serial killer from Massachusetts killed two local boys then was caught while scouting for a 3rd. Omaha policed its neighborhoods while his hometown in Massachusetts did not. The police in Massachusetts were not even aware that a serial killer was at work even though authorities came to believe he may have killed as many as 30 children in Massachusetts. Apparently children disappear in Massachusetts in alarming numbers. Later when I lived in Dayton I came to understand Ohio suffered from similar issues of not policing their neighborhoods. The cultural failures in some areas of the country are quite pronounced - making them unfit places to live.

Dennis

Yep. It is pretty simple stuff.

Malum in se, versus Malum in Prohibitum.

A...