Polyamory - a rational approach to love and lust

syrakusos

Gossiping about Ayn Rand is much easier than admitting to having loved two people at the same time and having to choose between them.

No problem from me about loving two people at the same time. Tried it -don't see it can last

for anyone.

I was surprised by that comment. You must know the fallacy. Even if you and your paramours attempted a rational resolution, talking about your feelings, and otherwise working through to a positive outcome for all, and if that failed for you, you cannot generalize past that specifically because I have said (now three times) that I know of other people, some of them Objectivists, for whom it worked and works.

You are not the only person who ignores the discussion.

It can't surprise you that I rate my own experience, insight and observations over reported

instances of - what appears to you to be - successful Objectivist polyamoric relations. Can it?

I could just as well claim your argument is also from authority, by citing "other people, some of

whom are Objectivists". ;)

As we've seen, nobody here's reacted with shock and outrage to the notion: there can't be any immorality to polyamory, and who cares how individuals choose their lives?

It is practically that I have doubts.

About jealousy:

I think we have only heard part of the story so far, in identifying jealousy (sexual jealousy, actually in this context) to involve ownership, fear of loss of one's partner, one's 'value' that cannot be possessed, etc etc.. That's the explicitly conscious part. Because we O'ists reject the instinctual, hard-wired and lizard-brained as irrational and anti-reason - does not mean we should not closely examine our instincts. Mainly in order to make them more conscious and comprehensible. Also to understand them at work in others.

The other, primitive, part of sexual jealousy - I believe - is a built-in mating bond that constrained our forefathers from wandering off to father another child elsewhere, until such time as the present woman and child were safely past childbirth and infancy. Surely, all our instincts had a single purpose in survival of the specie, and I can't see another explanation for that pre-rational fear and potent emotion - not only of losing 'your' woman ... but more, of losing her to another man.

Whatever: Does one resist and rationalize those less pleasant, 'lizard-brained' instincts, and risk self-repression? or admit them (at times, enjoy them) and solidify mind-body unity?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks:

I heard about this show listening to Mark Levin last night...The Blaze picked up on it because of the Tea Party, however, it does bring polyamory into prime time:

ABC’s “Wife Swap” has a simple premise: Take two very, very different families, swap out the mothers (sometimes husbands), and watch what happens when cultures clash.

So while the show is good for a few chuckles, some think Thursday’s episode went out of its way to attack the Tea Party.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/29/tv-show-wife-swap-sets-up-tea-party-christian-with-polyamorous-family-guess-who-ends-up-looking-reasonable/

• 2 years later...

Here we go...I really like the way these three (3) are going about this...

'I do, I do, I do:' Brazilian female trio get hitched...<<<< very misleading like a lot of headlines - a media necessity...

Rio de Janeiro (AFP) - Three's a crowd? Not in Brazil, where three women have defied deeply conservative trends in Congress and wider traditional mores by celebrating a polyamorous civil union.

They would have been violating the bigamy law in Brazil...

The happy trio, who reportedly have shared a bed for years and say they want to raise a child, took an oath of love in early October in the presence of Rio de Janeiro notary public Fernanda de Freitas Leitao.

"This union is not just symbolic," because it defines "how they intend to have children," attorney Leitao said.

The lovers -- a businesswomen and a dentist who are both 32 and a 34-year-old office manager -- have been together for three years and wish to remain anonymous. Despite salacious media speculation about their supposed love life, they are in fact shy, their lawyer said.

Of my God!! A producer...I love it.

The union is not a formal marriage, because under Brazilian law that would be bigamy. Neither are they automatically allowed to declare joint income or join a healthcare plan for spouses.

But the civil union is still a big step, according to the lawyer.

"If they seek these rights before a court, they could obtain them -- and I think they will," Leitao said.

They also have a better chance now of making good on their plan to create a three-parent family, Leitao said.

"Our union is the fruit of love," the unnamed businesswoman in the trio told the daily O Globo.

"We are preparing for my pregnancy.... The legalization is a way for the baby and for us to not end up abandoned and penniless. We want to enjoy the same maternal rights that everyone else has."

Very cool ladies.

Peter, since you are ignoring me try to keep your obnoxious anti female comments to yourself, thanks a lot.

Sent by Carrier Pigeon... it may take awhile, she does not have her wings yet...

uXAfqEL.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/brazilian-female-trio-hitched-021426110.html