Has today’s science rendered philosophy obsolete?

dennislmay

Not the issue addressed. They're referring to philosophy in the way a layman to philosophy perceives the term (i.e., the questions that are usually parodied by cartoons and comedies). Translate any philosophical terms into laymen's terms and you will get a resounding "NO" to the poll.

Physics Poll: Has today’s science rendered philosophy obsolete?

http://physicsworld.com/blog/2013/01/has_modern_science_rendered_ph.html

http://www.facebook.com/physicsworld

The reason theoretical physics and cosmology are in so much trouble is

their abuse/neglect of philosophical considerations.

Dennis

No matter how much trouble physics is in, it cannot match the burden that Aristotle (the most famous philosopher) and his followers laid on physical science with his wronger than wrong notions of motion and matter which he never bothered to check experimentally. Aristotle and his buddies delayed the development of proper physics for nearly 2000 years.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Philosphy ain't going anywhere.

This topic reminds me of modern writers who periodically proclaim that the novel has died as a literary form.

These folks are after the cheap profundity brass ring of fame.

(Like those who blame Aristotle for delaying science instead of advancing it. :) )

Folly trying to be vanity at play in the fields of the meaning of life...

Michael

This topic reminds me of modern writers who periodically proclaim that the novel has died as a literary form.

(Like those who blame Aristotle for delaying science instead of advancing it. :) )

Michael

Although I use the term "thought" instead of "philosophy", we knows it's sticking around to stay. There will always be people asking "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?".

I just posted this to Facebook:

Michael Marotta

The world holds more than your physics, dear Horatio. Art, politics, and ethics all exceed the bounds of physics. The metaphysical and epistemological challenges of modern physics nonetheless must be in consonance with wider and deeper truths. Schroedigner's cat might be and not be, but New York City pretty much is, regardless of whether you look at it or not. It would take a philosopher of titanic abilities to derive ethics and politics from the metaphysics of physics as we know it at the moment. Imagine if a philosopher of the 19th century had derived an artistic theory from Dalton's atom...

(Like those who blame Aristotle for delaying science instead of advancing it. :smile: )

Michael

Although I use the term "thought" instead of "philosophy", we knows it's sticking around to stay. There will always be people asking "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?".

The air vibrates and heats up slightly as does the tree when it strikes the ground.

What is "sound"? Is it the longitudinal visco-elastic vibrations of a gaseous medium? Or is it the perceived effects of such longitudinal vibrations. Or it is merely the "firing" of the auditory nerves leading into the spatio-temporal lobes of the brain?

Similar questions could be asked of vision. sight and light. If an A-bomb goes off over Hiroshima but there is no one there, does it make a flash?

Ba'al Chatzaf