Diz and Lick

caroljane

I watched some of the Taylor- Burton biopic, it was a strange experience. I love celebrity gossip, the older the better, and biopics in general, certainly not expecting Lincoln here but the last thing I expected to be was bored.

There was the supporting cast, doing a good solid job, and there were the two leads who appeared to be civilians hauled in from the street and shoved on-set because the costumes happened to fit them.

I haven't seen Lindsay Lohan before but I had always heard she was an actress. Judging by this, she isn't one any more. As to her leading man, talk about casting outside the box. "Hey, I know! We'll get an American guy with no charisma who doesn't look like Burton, and can't imitate his voice!"

When the Ivor character died I gave up. It was so obvious that I cared more about his loss than his brother Richard did. John Galt's hat acted better in AS1 than Bowler did in this.

It wasn't even good-bad so you could enjoy cringing. Just deadly dull. I feel like Lifetime owes me money to compensate for what I watched, and I didn't even pay in the first place. Anybody else see it?

Speaking of Lincoln, I saw that travesty with my bride over the weekend and nearly had to walk out. [side-note: I am a big spender on date night, obviously].

There is something so wrong about trying to make Lincoln into Martin Luther King Jr. I can hardly express it. Lincoln made MLK Jr. possible. Isn't that enough for one too short lifetime?

The movie begins with a black corporal barking at Lincoln about wage disparities in the Union soldier ranks, and goes downhill from there. Sally Fields reminded me of Sally Fields the entire movie, not Lincoln's bat-shit crazy wife.Daniel Day Lewis was superb as Lincoln, however. HIs voice and his cadence was purely Lincoln at his finest.

Such a shame that DDL's performance was wasted on a sappy screen play meant, apparently, to make African Americans feel like the Civil Rights Movement started 100 years earlier than it actually did.

Speaking of Lincoln, I saw that travesty with my bride over the weekend and nearly had to walk out. [side-note: I am a big spender on date night, obviously].

Couldn't persuade her to stay home with pizza and watch Atlas II again, eh? I'm assuming she agreed with your reactions and would have walked out along with her lovable old cheapskate.

Couldn't persuade her to stay home with pizza and watch Atlas II again, eh? I'm assuming she agreed with your reactions and would have walked out along with her lovable old cheapskate.

Being somewhat less the Lincolnophile than I am, she was somewhat less annoyed than I was. Besides, she had to pay her own way.*

I just don't understand why a director would want to gild the lily when it comes to Lincoln. His life was a monumental achievement, even more astounding because of his contradictions. Let Lincoln be Lincoln, I say!

[*That's how they did it Galt's Gulch...]

Being somewhat less the Lincolnophile than I am, she was somewhat less annoyed than I was. Besides, she had to pay her own way.*

I just don't understand why a director would want to gild the lily when it comes to Lincoln. His life was a monumental achievement, even more astounding because of his contradictions. Let Lincoln be Lincoln, I say!

He was our second overtly ur-fascist president. Andrew Jackson was our first.

Oh Hell, who cares about habeas corpus anyway?

ba'al Chatzaf

He was our second overtly ur-fascist president. Andrew Jackson was our first.

Oh Hell, who cares about habeas corpus anyway?

ba'al Chatzaf

Suspension of the writ definitely belongs in the "minus" column for LIncoln.

Not that it matters for your point, but it is indeed ironic that Jefferson Davis also suspended the writ in the South. Goose and gander, and all that.

Coul

I don't either, but how could we when they don't understand it themselves? This is Hollywood where "nobody knows anything". They likely paid Kearns a fortune for her advice which they threw out, whatever it was. Lincoln is so huge a subject that it's wise to focus on just one short period in his life however. I don't think an entire movie of his life could be done.

I didn't read the bio, but I did enjoy her biography of Johnson. I saw the biopic, with Randy Quaid as Lyndon B,, and he knocked off every sock I had. Wonderful performance. What an actor. It is tragic that he went crazy.

Randy Quaid is now a refugee here in Canada, where he just blends in with the crowd.

Lohan has been arrested. Bowler is still at large.

Justice must be seen to be done, but I hope the judge goes easy on her. Maybe probation, if she promises to avoid movie sets and get a steady job as a jewellery saleslady or nightclub waitress or something.

• 9 years later...
On 11/27/2012 at 5:06 PM, caroljane said:

I haven't seen Lindsay Lohan before but I had always heard she was an actress. Judging by this, she isn't one any more. As to her leading man, talk about casting outside the box. "Hey, I know! We'll get an American guy with no charisma who doesn't look like Burton, and can't imitate his voice!"

Expat Media had an interesting story. Lindsay Lohan has lived in Dubai since 2017. Peter

Lindsay Lohan stays at home in Dubai By: staff reporter Published Date: March 24, 2020. DUBAI – Mean Girls star Lindsay Lohan appears to be in Dubai where authorities have urged the public to stay at home. The 33-year-old actress recently posted a selfie on Instagram that appeared to show the Downtown Dubai in the backdrop.

“Teamwork makes the dream work #staystrong #staypositive #stayhealthy #stayhome and #pray,” she said in the caption.

The actress has called Dubai her home since 2017 before leaving for the US in January. She returned to the country last month. Also in the UAE with Lohan is her sister, Aliana, who shared a video of a lightning display in Dubai on Saturday . . . .