Obama on Ayn Rand in Rolling Stone

9thdoctor

True, but that was no choice back then. |Most Gnostic records have been destroyed or suppressed, yet there are still living ones soon to follow.

Most people I know are nonsense on stilts in some ways, yet still valuable, worth preserving.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am very interested in this. As a Sunday school graduate cum laude and assiduous bible realer, I have come to wonder more and more about the individuals who may or may not have been his cousin John. Having learned of the amazing intellectual mix of magicians, Hellenist logic choppers, aspiring Messiahs and raving loonies who competed in the Galilean market, I always want to know more.

I am one of those truly disgusting people,, who would yes, invite Jesus to my fantasy dinner party, along with WSS and Richard III and

Socrates and Aeschylus, so they could argue, and Marlowe and Shakespeare, to find out if he was really a spy.. And worse people than that even, and better ones.

I too am very interested in this. As a Sunday school graduate cum laude and assiduous bible realer, I have come to wonder more and more about the individuals who may or may not have been his cousin John. Having learned of the amazing intellectual mix of magicians, Hellenist logic choppers, aspiring Messiahs and raving loonies who competed in the Galilean market, I always want to know more.

I am one of those truly disgusting people,, who would yes, invite Jesus to my fantasy dinner party, along with WSS and Richard III and

Socrates and Aeschylus, so they could argue, and Marlowe and Shakespeare, to find out if he was really a spy.. And worse people than that even, and better ones.

Jesus: "One of you [Carol] will betray me"

--Brant

when it comes to Jesus it's all about Jesus

And ohyeah! almost forget. Bring a jug of wine incase He isn't up for doing the Cana thing again.

He is real tired and jumpy lately, hope this nice evening with friends will relax Him.

No clue where Judas is just now - he says he is trying to fix some contract with the Romans, like sure, we haven't seen a shekel coming in since he took up with Him. Oh, well.

See you tonight.

Jesus Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible has a very good discussion, based on historical/critical study of the Bible, regarding the conclusion that John was referring to Jesus when he spoke of The Word. [....]

Deanna,

Thanks for an informative reply.

I ordered the book you cite.

Ellen

Ellen: have you read this book yet?

Part of it, including a section about "The Word" becoming Christ, according to the Gospel of John.

I had to set the book aside unfinished in order to prepare for Larry's and my trip to Holland - an International Symmetry Association conference, some sight-seeing, and some climate-issues-related stuff. We just got back about 1:00 am Saturday, and we're still kind of betwixt and between with follow-through details and re-adjusting to home routine.

Meanwhile, I've read a bit farther in Jesus, Interrupted. I'm quite interested by the approach the author, Bart Ehrman, takes, and am seeing potential parallels for discussions of Objectivism. I'm hoping I'll have a chance to post some quotes and thoughts in a week or so.

Ellen

Jesus Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible has a very good discussion, based on historical/critical study of the Bible, regarding the conclusion that John was referring to Jesus when he spoke of The Word. [....]

Deanna,

Thanks for an informative reply.

I ordered the book you cite.

Ellen

Ellen: have you read this book yet?

Part of it, including a section about "The Word" becoming Christ, according to the Gospel of John.

I had to set the book aside unfinished in order to prepare for Larry's and my trip to Holland - an International Symmetry Association conference, some sight-seeing, and some climate-issues-related stuff. We just got back about 1:00 am Saturday, and we're still kind of betwixt and between with follow-through details and re-adjusting to home routine.

Meanwhile, I've read a bit farther in Jesus, Interrupted. I'm quite interested by the approach the author, Bart Ehrman, takes, and am seeing potential parallels for discussions of Objectivism. I'm hoping I'll have a chance to post some quotes and thoughts in a week or so.

Ellen

I hope your Symmetry conference did not get out of order. :laugh:

I hope your Symmetry conference did not get out of order. :laugh:

Broken symmetry is a big topic among symmetrists. :laugh:

Seriously, the conference went very well, and Delft was an exquisite place to have it.

Among our sight-seeing excursions was a visit to the Vermeer "museum" in Delft (no originals there, just reproductions) and to the big museum in Amsterdam where there are three Vermeer originals, along with several Rembrandt originals and lots and lots of wonderful other stuff.

Where is Jonathan, btw, speaking of art works? He's been silent a long while, I hope not because of any misfortune.

Ellen

Where is Jonathan, btw, speaking of art works? He's been silent a long while, I hope not because of any misfortune.

He posted on OO within the last week.

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?showtopic=26086&p=313670

Here was a particular favorite of mine from the Rijksmuseum.

Jeremiah-Lamenting-the-Destruction-of-Je

Hope you had a nice visit to the coffee-shops!

stoned-smile-drugs-are-bad.gif

He looks like a warrior king who has learned wisdom and knows that wisdom is not enough. Come on someone tell me who it is.

I can't do anything with images, I only got my own avatar up because after half the forum tried to help me, Michael basically did it for me.

He looks like a warrior king who has learned wisdom and knows that wisdom is not enough. Come on someone tell me who it is.

I can't do anything with images, I only got my own avatar up because after half the forum tried to help me, Michael basically did it for me.

God, after three days of arguing with you.

Come on someone tell me who it is.

It's by Rembrandt, it's Jeremiah in a cave with Jerusalem burning outside. I did two separate trips to Amsterdam, stayed near the Rijksmuseum both times, and bought an unlimited museum pass so I could come and go as I pleased. I can't really say why but I kept going back to this painting, and spent a lot of time in front of it. The metal thing by his elbow has a quality to it that's lost here in the reproduction, same with the fringe of the robe.

I recall posting it before when I wanted to summarize my feelings about the first Atlas Shrugged movie.

God, after three days of arguing with you.

After six, you get a day of rest.