Obama on Ayn Rand in Rolling Stone

9thdoctor

Like for example God created the word in seven days, yeah right.

I think He did that on the eighth day.

--Brant

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God..."

Read carefully, the Word was already there on Day Zero. Never mind whether they really had the concept Zero.

What are you, some kind of Arian Heretic? An Adoptionist, perhaps?

Time to start collecting firewood.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God..."

Read carefully, the Word was already there on Day Zero. Never mind whether they really had the concept Zero.

Genesis 1:

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"

The whole thing is a cascade of contradictions. No surprise there. But what else can be expected, given the many different authors?

Like for example God created the word in seven days, yeah right.

I think He did that on the eighth day.

--Brant

What are you, some kind of Arian Heretic? An Adoptionist, perhaps?

Time to start collecting firewood.

Wait a minute! I just realized that if this is true then The Word is the First Cause--not God! Epistemology not metaphysics bases everything out!

--Brant

I'm not usually this slow

who needs data when we've got thinking?

(But what was The Word before The Word?)

I just realized that if this is true then The Word is the First Cause--not God!

"...The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."

So God made it, ok? And God = The Word. So by algebraic substitution one could say the The Word made it, but when you then say 'not God' you've fallen, yet again, into heresy and error.

No that we've got the firewood, it's time for the kindling.

I just realized that if this is true then The Word is the First Cause--not God!

"...The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."

So God made it, ok? And God = The Word. So by algebraic substitution one could say the The Word made it, but when you then say 'not God' you've fallen, yet again, into heresy and error.

No that we've got the firewood, it's time for the kindling.

No, no, no--pleeze don't throw me into that fire patch!

No fair algebra--Arab invention.

--Brant

asbestos clothing, ha, ha, ha

It's the beginning of the Old Testament, so it isn't a reference to Christ.

It's in the New Testament and it is a reference to Christ.

John 1:1

Amplified Bible (AMP)

1 In the beginning [before all time] was the Word ([a]Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God [b]Himself.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

1 In the beginning [before all time] was the Word ([a]Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God [b]Himself.

The original language of the Gospel according to John was Greek. "Logos" is the Greek word translated as "Word." "Logos" was an embracing term, encompassing "ordering principle" generally.

How do the Amplified Bible people arrive at this term being equated with Christ?

In a quick and unsuccessful Google to try to find some background on that interpretation, I came across this discussion of the differences between John and the synoptic gospels

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/story/john.html

The Gospel of John

Embedded in the so-called "spiritual gospel" is an architectural hostility toward Judaism.

The material is part of a Connecticut PBS "Frontline" series From Jesus to Christ.

Ellen

As far as verifiability , what if John was wrong , mistaken or just making it up, John was human , yes?

He certainly could have been. I was solely commenting on the source of the verse, not on it's perceived veracity. That is purely a personal choice which has absolutely nothing to do with others.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

The original language of the Gospel according to John was Greek. "Logos" is the Greek word translated as "Word." "Logos" was an embracing term, encompassing "ordering principle" generally.

How do the Amplified Bible people arrive at this term being equated with Christ?

In a quick and unsuccessful Google to try to find some background on that interpretation, I came across this discussion of the differences between John and the synoptic gospels

The Gospel of John

Embedded in the so-called "spiritual gospel" is an architectural hostility toward Judaism.

The material is part of a Connecticut PBS "Frontline" series From Jesus to Christ.

Ellen

That is not the only New testament source referring to Christ as the Word of God.
Here is a far more graphic direct reference to Christ:
Revelation 19:11-13

11 After that I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse [appeared]! The One Who was riding it is called Faithful (Trustworthy, Loyal, Incorruptible, Steady) and True, and He passes judgment and wages war in righteousness (holiness, justice, and uprightness).

12 His eyes [blaze] like a flame of fire, and on His head are many kingly crowns (diadems); and He has a title (name) inscribed which He alone knows or can understand.

13 He is dressed in a robe dyed by [c]dipping in blood, and the title by which He is called is The Word of God.

...and getting religious information from secular leftist government subsidized PBS is like getting information about the Holocaust from Amahdinejad.

Your reply doesn't answer the question, moralist.

Ellen

Of course not, Ellen. That's because you need to ask your question of those who translated the Amplified Bible. I can't speak on their behalf... only for myself.

Greg

Jesus Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible has a very good discussion, based on historical/critical study of the Bible, regarding the conclusion that John was referring to Jesus when he spoke of The Word. It also examines who John might actually have been and why he might have made that claim. If I recall correctly, it had a lot to do with 1) attempting to clarify contradictions in other books of the New Testament, and 2) laying some ground work for the Holy Trinity. It's been a while since I've read it, though, so I might be mistaken on point 2.

Ellen, there is scholarly support for the conclusion that for John the Word = Jesus Christ. This is just one book that supports that conclusion. I know nothing of the version of the Bible Greg references, though, so I can't speak to that specifically.

Also, in regards to the Gospel of John being hostile towards Judaism, historically speaking that gospel seems to have been written during a time when a certain sect of Christians were attempting to make a shift from the "Religion Of Jesus" to the "Religion About Jesus." I don't remember the name of that sect, but they were trying to move away from Jewish law. This would explain the perceived hostility towards Judaism. I say perceived because I personally don't think John was that hostile, especially in comparison to some other books of his era that didn't make it into the canon for the very reason that they were quite hostile indeed.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

The Gospel of John

Ellen

That is not the only New testament source referring to Christ as the Word of God.

11 After that I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse [appeared]! The One Who was riding it is called Faithful (Trustworthy, Loyal, Incorruptible, Steady) and True, and He passes judgment and wages war in righteousness (holiness, justice, and uprightness).

12 His eyes [blaze] like a flame of fire, and on His head are many kingly crowns (diadems); and He has a title (name) inscribed which He alone knows or can understand.

13 He is dressed in a robe dyed by [c]dipping in blood, and the title by which He is called is The Word of God.

...and getting religious information from secular leftist government subsidized PBS is like getting information about the Holocaust from Amahdinejad.

No, it is not. That is an outrageously false analogy.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

The Gospel of John

Ellen

No, it is not. That is an outrageously false analogy.

This difference between our two views defines where we each put our trust. I don't trust secular liberal government grant funded sources... and you do.

As far as verifiability , what if John was wrong , mistaken or just making it up, John was human , yes?

He certainly could have been. I was solely commenting on the source of the verse, not on it's perceived veracity. That is purely a personal choice which has absolutely nothing to do with others.

Veracity is a personal choice?

Jesus Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible has a very good discussion, based on historical/critical study of the Bible, regarding the conclusion that John was referring to Jesus when he spoke of The Word. [....]

Deanna,

Thanks for an informative reply.

I ordered the book you cite.

Ellen

Veracity is a personal choice?

No. Not veracity. Perceived veracity. It's purely a personal choice either to love truth or to love lies and call them truth. And each of us gets the consequences we deserve in our own life as our teacher to patiently show us moment by moment which is which.

• 2 months later...

Coincidentally I read a fascinating article today about the sect which follows John the Baptist. the oldest surviving Gnostic community in the world. They are not Christians, they are a historical artefact with 100,000 adherents. soon to be destroyed like everything else worth preserving in that cursed country.The loss of their historical legacy, and their precious individual lives, will go up in flames like the destruction of the library at Alexandria.

Coincidentally I read a fascinating article today about the sect which follows John the Baptist. the oldest surviving Gnostic community in the world. They are not Christians, they are a historical artefact with 100,000 adherents. soon to be destroyed like everything else worth preserving in that cursed country.The loss of their historical legacy, and their precious individual lives, will go up in flames like the destruction of the library at Alexandria.

Several groups of bullies had there turn on the various libraries at Alexandria. The first disaster was during the reign of Cleopetra. The Romans had an armed struggle with the local Egyptian army and a fire got out of control.. Many hundreds of years later the Christians burned out the Serapium. and about 200 years after that Caliph Umar and the Muslims destroyed the remaining libraries.

It would have been better if the Libraries survived and the gnostics did not. Gnosticism is nonsense on stilts.

Ba'al Chatzaf