Excellent Interactive New York Times Electoral Map

Selene

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/electoral-map

Start at the MAP - and then click next until you get to Make your own scenarios...

The one (1) through eight (8) are really very good information that is displayed very well visually - the nightmare scenario is in number eight (8) with a 269 to 269 tie and sending the election into the House of Representatives.

the nightmare scenario is in number eight (8) with a 269 to 269 tie and sending the election into the House of Representatives.

I suppose I ought to brush up on how the Constitution works in this case, but wouldn't it be Duck Soup for Romney? The House has a Republican majority, right? Wouldn't that settle it?

the nightmare scenario is in number eight (8) with a 269 to 269 tie and sending the election into the House of Representatives.

I suppose I ought to brush up on how the Constitution works in this case, but wouldn't it be Duck Soup for Romney? The House has a Republican majority, right? Wouldn't that settle it?

Yes. Each state delegation has one vote.

"If there is a tie, it becomes the responsibility of the 435 members of the House of Representatives to choose the next President of the United States. However, a special voting procedure is employed in this situation. Each state receives only one vote, and the representatives from each state have to decide which candidate gets theirs. (For example, all 30 of Texas' representatives will vote individually. Then their votes are tallied. Which ever candidate receives a majority of these 30 votes wins Texas' one vote; if no candidate receives a majority of these 30 votes, Texas' one vote is not cast.) Members from at least 34 states must be present for this vote to count. Which ever candidate receives the votes of at least 26 states is declared the President. If no one reaches 26 votes, further balloting is done. (It took the Representatives 36 ballots over 6 days to reach a winner in the 1800 election!)"

So all of a sudden Vermont carries as much weight as California? How does it work out? Has anyone done the math? Obama is in such a strong position because he carries California, New York, and Illinois. Doesn't this go a long way towards neutralizing that advantage? Of course he's got some small states too, and the way the congressional votes shake out could vary from the electoral vote in some states.

So all of a sudden Vermont carries as much weight as California? How does it work out? Has anyone done the math? Obama is in such a strong position because he carries California, New York, and Illinois. Doesn't this go a long way towards neutralizing that advantage? Of course he's got some small states too, and the way the congressional votes shake out could vary from the electoral vote in some states.

Fascinating don't you think. And remember in a state where there is an even number of Congress folks and there is a tie, that entire state's population will technically, "be disenfranchised."

Scary. I just tried to find a simple list by state with the amount of Congress folks in each state and I keep getting these sites that gibe you each state and all the Congress folks in the state and it goes on for pages.

As of today, as the cancer of Benghazi continues to metastasize, I have:

Romney at 257

Toss ups at 74 - Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, N.H, Michigan, Ohio and Iowa

O'bama at 207