Football - WTF? Ayn Rand is destroying the game?

He sounds just stupid enough to be interesting. And if he's high, how much harm can he do? But I have a strict moral code, so the second Mrs. has to go. Hey, send him south and keep number 2.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to Ontario. I've been to Quebec

I hereby invite you to revisit them. . \I am still determined to foist an OL social upon poor Michael and Kat somewhere, and \I know you are a very experienced long distance driver and you would love to see the beautiful Maritimes or at least interesting \Toronto.

Carol

Shameless Opportunist and current non car owner

Will I get safe passage or be feasted on? (I know what "foist" really means here.)

--Brant

Canadians are best avoided; if they didn't get over France they didn't get over Great Britain which is why they can't get over America, Canada being its hat and all.

Its hat? As the brain is the "hat" and the lower regions the suit - yeah,guess you're right.

Oh, no--you don't! The brain is under the hat!

--Brant

at least mine is

Not only is Paul Ryan not a Rand-worshipper, Ayn Rand's lifelong interest in professional sports was ______ ?

Robert Campbell

She mentioned tennis is Atlas Shrugged. Francisco was a good tennis player.

Ba'al Chatzaf

|Every Oist |I ever knew either loathed sports or only played tennis or squash or skied or did something individual.

So what was with the \'Collective" and their softball games? Of course baseball is the most individual of team sports. A championship team can all hate each other and still win.|"'25 taxis to the airport" - in hockey it is more 2 Smartcars with roof racks.

Carol, there apparently was only one softball game that's mentioned by both B's. They both describe it with such longing - a day of fun in Central Park!!!- that it's so clear there weren't many days like that. Fun in the park is one thing. Reason, morality, and a grim, sour, and appropriate demeanor are quite something else.

I don't know why, but it's just so sad. One rolicking fun day out of 18 years?

Carol, there apparently was only one softball game that's mentioned by both B's. They both describe it with such longing - a day of fun in Central Park!!!- that it's so clear there weren't many days like that. Fun in the park is one thing. Reason, morality, and a grim, sour, and appropriate demeanor are quite something else.

I don't know why, but it's just so sad. One rollicking [sic] fun day out of 18 years?

Ginny:

I was always disappointed in the lack of enjoyment of the mind and body through sports which is rationally mental in practice and the lack of that joy in the NBI folks of the '60's.

Yet in Atlas, Ayn worships the movement of the body, particularly in Francisco. The scene in the Rearden mills with the break-out of the furnace where Frisco's shadowy figure is being admired by Hank as he throws clay to dam the breakout. Or, later, when Frisco is on top of a building, calmly picking off the goons that are attacking the mills, or even when Dagny [slug] sees him playing marbles on the carpet of the hotel.

Even early in the novel when he and Dagny are climbing the cliffs over the Hudson.

I believe there was a secret envy about the body's form because most of the ones that I saw at NBI looked so uncomfortably awkward, self conscious and tense as they moved about.

A...

Adam, all of Atlas' physical fun HAD A PURPOSE. It had value. Tossing ball in a park has no purpose. Fun is not an objectivist value. It's just good for the soul.

BTW, yeah on the puny runts of Obj. For someone who worshipped the human body, she sure surrounded herself with some strange ones in Peikoff and Greenspan. Maybe NB made up for all of rest.

Adam, all of Atlas' physical fun HAD A PURPOSE. It had value. Tossing ball in a park has no purpose. Fun is not an objectivist value. It's just good for the soul.

BTW, yeah on the puny runts of Obj. For someone who worshiped the human body, she sure surrounded herself with some strange ones in Peikoff and Greenspan. Maybe NB made up for all of rest.

Ginny:

Good points. However, playing softball in Central Park has a purpose and a value. Even "tossing a ball" has a value.

I completely agree with you about how moribund, uptight and physically stiff that crew was at NBI and her inner circle.

My girlfriend and I were astounded at how robotic and cult like the audiences were at NBI.

When I interviewed Nathan for my Master's thesis, I emerged with a very uncomfortable feeling about the movement. Since this was pre-split, I had no idea what kind of torment and pressure he was under.

A...

Of course tossing a ball has value. I meant to the uptight Collective.

From their books, I get the feeling both B's must have been going through hell at the time. While the orthos keeps blaming NB for 'lying,' all I can do is wonder how these two people, who'd worshipped Rand since their teens, felt as it all feel apart. Of course they were confused.

From their books, I get the feeling both B's must have been going through hell at the time. While the orthos keeps blaming NB for 'lying,' all I can do is wonder how these two people, who'd worshiped Rand since their teens, felt as it all feel apart. Of course they were confused.

Agreed. I remember admiring Barbara's austere beauty "look" as she was up on stage. However, there was a tenseness in her kinesics which always made me wonder about what kind of stress she was under.

Hell, I was using kinesics analysis as I taught rhetoric, so I was intensely observant about "body language" and still am today...e.g.,

KINESICS

kinesics2.jpg

A man stands inside of a closed glass phone booth. You cannot hear a word he says, but you see his postures, gestures, and facial expressions. You see his kinesics. --Marjorie F. Vargas (Louder Than Words, p. 67)

http://center-for-nonverbal-studies.org/kinesics.htm <<<<nice site by the way.

Barbara mentioned as much in her book. How everyone expected her to be the perfect ice princess.

Icy...was how she appeared. However, that was not what attracted my eyes to her. Her mind and passion in writing was completely dissonant to my perceptions of her on that stage.

Those were very special and interesting times and am so happy I experienced them directly.

wg

From their books, I get the feeling both B's must have been going through hell at the time. While the orthos keeps blaming NB for 'lying,' all I can do is wonder how these two people, who'd worshipped Rand since their teens, felt as it all feel apart. Of course they were confused.

Ginny, I so accord with your impressions. That Barbara who I feel had the heaviest emotional burden and for the longest time - she did not want to marry NB, it did not feel right to her yet the influence of Rand was so strong- that she survived, with such graceand with the ability to laugh and hqve fun, says so much of her and of humanity.