"The Office"

blackhorse

I've not seen it as much as I'd like to, but heck yes!

Related film: Office Space

That one is a true killer if you've ever been stuck in the Cubicle Gulag. "Peter...yeah... there's a problem with your TPS reports... did you read the memo?"

Other good dark side of the force business movies: Glen Gary Glen Ross, and Boiler Room.

rde

I have an executive suite and I have it looking like a whore house.

Does anyone else beside me here find "The Office" absolutely hilarious and a joy to watch?

It is; although, I think the British version is slightly better...

As a side note, I've actually known "Pam" (Jenna Fischer) since highschool, and we studied together in college. We used to be very close, but as the years went on, we drifted apart. She was at one point in time a Rand fan (and actually, she was one of the first people with whom I ever discussed Rand and her work). It thrills me to no end to see her working on "The Office".

RCR

I've always thought that improv humour to be some of the best. "This Is Spinal Tap" being another good example of improvisational comedy. I have seen the English version of The Office, and although I do find it funny I have a hard time understanding some of the tongue in cheek English satire, not too mention some of the words. I'm not a fan of laugh tracks or live audiences so "The Office is right up my alley. Family is another favorite of mine as well.

Edited by blackhorse

Spinal Tap is one of the few movies I watch over, usually once a year at least. Years ago, I had a vinyl copy of "Smell The Glove" (all black), which I wore out.

If you rent the DVD, a big bonus is the outtakes. It's almost a whole movie in itself. There's a lot of back story there for the true diehard. For instance, it shows you at one point there was a replacement guitarist when Nigel left.

Such a funny film! I like "The Ruttles" too- that was a predecessor.

I love it! I'm actually going to watch the season premiere in about an hour. Can't wait!

Blackhorse, did you mean Family Guy is one of your favorites? Something I keep laughing about this week is a scene from last Sunday's Family Guy. Somebody mentions Charlotte from Charlotte's Web getting over her tourettes and then they show a girl walking past Charlotte's web and it says "WHORE" on it. ROFLcopter!

I love it! I'm actually going to watch the season premiere in about an hour. Can't wait!

Blackhorse, did you mean Family Guy is one of your favorites? Something I keep laughing about this week is a scene from last Sunday's Family Guy. Somebody mentions Charlotte from Charlotte's Web getting over her tourettes and then they show a girl walking past Charlotte's web and it says "WHORE" on it. ROFLcopter!

Yeah, Family Guy and American Dad are both great.

BTW, another hilarious comedic show is Mystery Science Theater 3000. Has anyone else here had the honor of watching it?

Absolutely. If I was still watching more than an hour of TV a week, I'd probably be surfing over to that.

Right now I'm feasting on very bad kung fu movies. Even after years in the martial arts, I still don't totally grasp the complete reason that brothers in the hood love kung fu so much, but I was cruising a shop here in East Cleveland and I just found the motherlode- dozens of cheese kung fu movie DVDs for a buck apiece. Who could resist?

BTW, another hilarious comedic show is Mystery Science Theater 3000. Has anyone else here had the honor of watching it?

Absolutely. If I was still watching more than an hour of TV a week, I'd probably be surfing over to that.

It has been years since I've watched MST3000, but my recollection is that it was very funny stuff.

Right now I'm feasting on very bad kung fu movies.

Did you ever see "Six-String Samurai"?

RCR

RCR-

Oh yeah, definitely saw it!

I can tell you one thing- I have discovered the core movie from where they got almost all the stuff for "Kung Pao." I can't think of the title right now (they're all the same...tiger fist vs. crane beak, whatever), but it is absolutely the best kung fu movie I have ever seen in the world. 100% total cheese. And, fights ever 45 seconds. All for a dollar! A true cheese treasure trove.

Definitely going to check out the new Jet Li.

Oh yeah, definitely saw it!

I can tell you one thing- I have discovered the core movie from where they got almost all the stuff for "Kung Pao." I can't think of the title right now (they're all the same...tiger fist vs. crane beak, whatever), but it is absolutely the best kung fu movie I have ever seen in the world. 100% total cheese. And, fights ever 45 seconds. All for a dollar! A true cheese treasure trove.

The Red Elvises are playing here in Denver soon, and I might go check out the show. B)

I saw Jackie Chan's "Snake in The Eagle's Shadow" (1978) the other weekend. It was extrodinarily cheezy, and definately inspired elements of the more recent "Kung-Fu Hustle" (also a gem).

RCR

The Red Elvises are tres cool.

Maybe not quite as cool as Dread Zeppelin, but still... Uh Oh, thread creep... ah well, it's all cheese.

www.dreadzeppelin.com

Reggae-style versions of Led Zeppelin songs, done by an Elvis impersonator. Trust me, you've never fully experienced music unless you've gotten a load of these boys. It makes you get processing lag.

Back to movies, I just got around to seeing Alien Vs. Predator last night. Cranked it up through our home theater system and I enjoyed it immensely.

Is it just me, or were a lot of those old Kung Fu movies dubbed in English using the same voice-over actors again and again. I think that maybe there might have been a contract with one company. Nevertheless, growing up in Sacramento I looked foreward to the Saturday afternoon Kung Fu matinee. Ah, the good old days.

Blackhorse:

Sure seems that way to me. There's always one guy with the raspy, gangster voice.

Now, I just saw one the other day that really threw me a loop... one of the voice over guys had a blistering Aussie accent. Can you imagine? It's already a stretch in the first place.

I noticed this same movie was a one-camera shoot with a single cameraman. This gets odd. There was one scene where it was a fixed shot of this little cottage, and the main character was off to the right chopping wood (I knew this from a prior shot). But, they just left the camera in front of this empty set for about a minute.

You really appreciate how Jackie Chan produced such good quality in China on zero budget.

Sat. Kung Fu Theater! Yes!!! Still on certain cable channels.