Why I Will Make Sure To Re-Elect The Marxist...By Mitt "No One Is Dumber Than Me" Romney!

Selene

I like WSS's term "assembled reason." I know exactly what he means, but haven't seen that formulation before--the sure sign of a good turn of the phrase.

David,

A poster who no longer posts on OL (but someone I like), Kevin Haggerty, once came up with a really cute phrase in the middle of a heated discussion.

He said people were condemning and denouncing due to "guilt by free association."

That little phrase packs a lot of meaning...

Michael

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good piece by Joel Kotkin.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/21/america-s-last-politically-contested-territory-the-suburbs.html

Kotkin always operates from the premise that Republicans are stupid party, but he has a point about Mitt Romney going along with anti-suburban policies while Governor of Massachusetts.

Robert Campbell

I like WSS's term "assembled reason." I know exactly what he means, but haven't seen that formulation before--the sure sign of a good turn of the phrase.

A poster who no longer posts on OL (but someone I like), Kevin Haggerty, once came up with a really cute phrase in the middle of a heated discussion.

He said people were condemning and denouncing due to "guilt by free association."

In discussion of Lindsay Perigo's demented 'speech' againsts Barbara Branden, Haggerty pointed out the limits of Perigo's epistemology:

It is obviously and completely lost on him how shabby the whole escapade of flying out to Orange County simply to bad-mouth a former friend like that truly is. The man has balls, I guess you could say.

It's as if he's lived so much of his life now in cyberspace that he can't see the difference between refuting someone's argument and reading the mere title of that argument and constructing a totally hypothetical denunciation based on emails and forum posts from years gone by. Again, serious cojones to leave such an impulse uncontrolled. This goes far beyond framing the debate or constructing a convenient strawman to, what? Guilt by free-association? "It occurs to me that you might make such-and-such an argument, and for that I denounce you!"

Pithy and effective. Looks like Haggerty used 'assembled reason' (and its tools of inquiry) and applied a nice hammer-tap to just the right place.

Great definitions both. My recent samplings of the SLOP pail (much like my past ones) show that with exceptions, the site is characterized mostly by guilt by free association and a lack of, even a hostility towards, assembled reason. Not to mention james' "Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds."

But the crowd isn't all that big, is it?