Absolute Political Freedom

rhartford

Here is how to get absolute political freedom. Find some deserted island where it is possible for you to survive, go there, and live there. I guarantee you will have absolute political freedom.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Don't forget to take some slaves with you.

--Brant

Have you ever heard of Spartacus?

A master of slaves has to sleep with one eye open and a weapon at hand, at all times.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Here is how to get absolute political freedom. Find some deserted island where it is possible for you to survive, go there, and live there. I guarantee you will have absolute political freedom.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Don't forget to take some slaves with you.

--Brant

Have you ever heard of Spartacus?

A master of slaves has to sleep with one eye open and a weapon at hand, at all times.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Don't forget to take some slave masters with you too.

--Brant

nail stew

This thread - and the paper on which it is based - is a serious attempt to promote a society in which political freedom flourishes and slavery is prohibited.

The posts above, considering recourse to a desert island or advocacy of the abomination of slavery, represent the antithesis of my goals and the purpose of Objectivist Living.

If those posts are meant to be humorous, I certainly do not find them to be so. If meant to be sarcastic, they are devoid of meaningful content. If meant to be serious, they show lack of respect for the serious reader.

Please post only thoughtful commentary that advances the goal of freedom.

aynrandstudies.com/jars/archives/jars11-1/jars11_1rhartford.pdf

No. You are getting what you want from Michael and Stephen. Let the rest go. Violation of the posting guidelines should be referred to the list owner.

--Brant

Ba'al Chatzaf

Thomas Paine differentiated between government and society. He was thumbs down on government and thumbs up on society. On the island all by your lonesome you would have no government (good) and no society (bad).

Robert asked me to close this thread and since it has taken a silly turn, I'll go ahead and oblige. But for more than one reason.

Here is a public note to Robert that explains some of the extra reasons.

Robert, if you want to communicate an idea, if you want to change opinions and influence people, you have to learn how to deal with this stuff. You cannot force people to agree with you. And if you do not learn how to persuade people with words, you are not going to persuade anyone.

Persuasion in public does not mean presenting an argument as if in an echo-chamber--i.e., with only one kind of feedback. it means dealing with the variables of human communication in addition to your point. Sometimes those variables are not pretty. But they are manageable and learning how to do that is learnable. I would be glad to point you in a direction if you are interested in delving deeper into this.

Now, note. The only thing closing this thread is going to accomplish is that it will soon stop being read by the general public. Maybe a very sporadic person will read it, but that will be all. And I doubt most of those will read it for the reasons you want it to be read.

Watch and see if I am right.

And once you detect that, I suggest you reflect on how well your idea is spreading with the communication procedures you are using so far--including cutting off the public from commenting.

Michael