The Vulcan at the Crackerbarrell

(I found Ann Romney and Mitt Romney a bit disingenuous talking about how hard George Romney had when his family fled from Mexico. Ann claimed that George did not have a college education. He did. Only, he did not graduate. (Wikipedia.) )

I downloaded transcripts of the significant speeches and searched them for instances of TECHN(ology, ologies, etc.) ENGIN(eers, eering, etc.) SCIEN (science, scientific, etc.) and EDUC (ation, etc.) These were the hits. Paul Ryan used none of them, which perhaps indicates how deeply he really was influenced by Atlas Shrugged.)

Ann Romney:

Mitt will be the first to tell you that he ... had the chance to get the education his father

never had.

Has it made those who started the company successful beyond their dreams? Yes, it has. It

allowed us to give our sons the chance at good educations and ...

The jobs that grew from the risks they took have become college educations, first homes.

Chris Christie:

We believe ...

They believe the educational establishment will always put themselves ahead of children. That

self-interest trumps common sense.

... an education system that's failing to compete in the world.

Mitt Romney:

I am running for president to help create ... An America where every parent knows that their

child will get an education that leads them to a good job and a bright horizon.

Condoleezza Rice:

Our military capability and our technological advantage will be safe in Mitt Romney's hands.

"And they have come here from advanced societies as engineers and scientists that fuel the knowledge-based revolution in the Silicon Valley of California, in the Research Triangle of North Carolina, along Route 128 in Massachusetts, in Austin, Texas, and across this great land." - Condoleezza Rice, August 29, 2012.

Rice may really be a Vulcan. (Wikipedia here.) After fleeing from communism to America, Josef Korbel (he dropped the umlaut), the father of Madeleine Albright, taught international relations at the University of Denver, where he mentored Condoleezza Rice.

I found the Wikipedia article on the Vulcans fascinating. The quotes from G.W. blow my mind. I do realize they are pre 9/11 but still, quite amusing.

"If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us. Our nation stands alone right now in the world in terms of power, and that's why we have to be humble, and yet project strength in a way that promotes freedom." - Bush 2

“I'm not so sure the role of the United States is to go around the world and say this is the way it's got to be. We can help. And maybe it's just our difference in government, the way we view government. I want to empower the people. I want to help people help themselves, not have government tell people what to do. I just don't think it's the role of the United States to walk into a country and say, we do it this way, so should you.” - Bush 2

“I believe the role of the military is to fight and win war. I don’t want to try to put our troops in all places at all times. I don’t want to be the world’s policeman.” Bush 2

Remember that these were mid-level policy experts from the administrations of the Senior Bush. Between the father and son, were the two Clinton administrations. Madeline Albright's father was Condoleezza Rice's professor. It shows continuity of policy because of a shared view of the world. At a bookstore in Albuquerque and old hippie told me that Bill Clinton was the best Republican president we ever had. ... ah, those were the days...