Paul Ryan as Romneys Veep choice?

So Mitt chooses Ryan for Veep. Good choice? Not necessarily!

It is much more likely that Romney gives Ryan The Book of Mormon, than Ryan recommending that Mitt read Atlas Shrugged (as reportedly he has for all his staff aides). I'm not being entirely flippant, here. I don't expect Mitt to try to convert Paul, but Romney is heavily, deeply, into Mormonism and served as a Mormon bishop. His involvement in LDS could hardly be termed nominal.

But why did he choose Ryan? Because of his work drafting a budget proposal (which went nowhere and will remain sidelined unless the Republicans gain control of BOTH the Senate and the House). And judging from the lack of enthusiasm that has been exhibited toward Romney, it's not likely that there will be a Romney landslide and simultaneous takeover of Congress.

Could Romney actually be smarter, or at least more calculating, than he has so far shown? Possibly, but I'm inclined to believe that this is a case of "what you see, is what you get!"

Removing Ryan from his already established position in Congress does not seem a strategic move. If Romney was really intent on drastically reducing the size of government, he needed Ryan to remain in Congress. Of course, that may not really be Mitt's plan. Judging from his Governorship of Massachusetts, his plans will be more moderate to liberal .Putting Ryan in as Veep pretty much neutralizes his (Ryan's) influence in Congress. (Remember, one of FDR's veeps referred to the importance of the role as Vice-President as about as significant as "a bucket of warm piss") " And, maybe that is what Mitt wants..

Will Ryan on the ticket gain him a lot more supporters? Doubtful. And expect a media onslaught on Ryan's "lack of experience" (for which they turned a blind eye in the case of their chosen savior, Obama!). And expect the media to try and use his interest in Ayn Rand as weapon against him. All the muck that has been dridged up against Rand will again be used, but will be more intense and widespread.

And the mass-media's Ryan-Rand hatefest SHITSTORM has already resumed!

Just type into Google, PAUL RYAN FOR VICE-PRESIDENT, AYN RAND.

And duck!

So Mitt chooses Ryan for Veep. Good choice? Not necessarily!

There was a good piece in Reason about this yesterday:

http://reason.com/ar...r-vice-presiden

For some reason Buridan's Ass comes to mind. If Romney picked someone more centrist it would be disappointing too.

Here's an interesting thought: the next Atlas Shrugged movie is coming out just before the election, and Ryan will, before long, start being painted as "Paul Randian", so there's going to be some free publicity in it. Also there's the Library of Congress poll going on, if there's going to be results released, that'll probably be in September. Where Atlas Shrugged will come out, who knows? But if it's high on the list, it might be a "perfect storm" (in a good way) for the movie. Hopefully the movie is good enough.

If you haven't voted, get to it:

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12333entry166696

Jerry,

I'm optimistic. I think Ryan was a good choice. And I think the Ayn Rand controversy with him will be a great thing that will ultimately convince more moderates as it inflames the lefties.

I'm no fan of Romney, but the contrast with Obama makes him look good--in the way Nixon looked good to Rand against McGovern.

Lots of crap happened under Nixon, but it most likely would have been worse--far worse--if he had lost.

EDIT: Besides, the main thing that will get Romney elected will be a focus on the economy. Given the economic hostility between Obama and Ryan, having Ryan on board will help keep Romney's campaign on track. And that's a good thing since he has a habit of veering off on tangents in a clutch.

Michael

Michael wrote:

Besides, the main thing that will get Romney elected will be a focus on the economy. Given the economic hostility between Obama and Ryan, having Ryan on board will help keep Romney's campaign on track. And that's a good thing since he has a habit of veering off on tangents in a clutch.

end quote

You have nailed it. In my estimation, Michael, your worth has vastly risen. The whole campaign will NOW BE about the economy, Obama’s dismal record, optimism, and the Philosophy of Government. Big issues. Solutions. Seriously Constitutional. It will be Morning In America in four years, after a Romney/Ryan victory.

In my Machiavellian mind, I really thought Rubio would be named for “elect-ability issues” though Paul Ryan was my first choice for President.

I hope everyone will donate to the campaign, as did I, get a Mitt and Paul tee shirt, and wear it proudly. I am stoked!

Peter

Paul Ryan is pretty weak. Apart from the fact his much-discussed budget plan hardly cuts anything at all, Ryan voted for all of Bush's wars, No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D and the PATRIOT Act.

The reason for Ryan's nomination is simple: to try and lure libertarian-minded voters back into the fold, since Mitt has no fiscal-conservative cred whatsoever due to Romneycare.

Michael wrote:

Besides, the main thing that will get Romney elected will be a focus on the economy. Given the economic hostility between Obama and Ryan, having Ryan on board will help keep Romney's campaign on track. And that's a good thing since he has a habit of veering off on tangents in a clutch.

end quote

You have nailed it. In my estimation, Michael, your worth has vastly risen. The whole campaign will NOW BE about the economy, Obama’s dismal record, optimism, and the Philosophy of Government. Big issues. Solutions. Seriously Constitutional. It will be Morning In America in four years, after a Romney/Ryan victory.

In my Machiavellian mind, I really thought Rubio would be named for “elect-ability issues” though Paul Ryan was my first choice for President.

I hope everyone will donate to the campaign, as did I, get a Mitt and Paul tee shirt, and wear it proudly. I am stoked!

Peter

Peter: notwithstanding Mitt's penchant for pj's, I tend to agree with you. The Left will focus on Ryan's budgetary goals, his Randian streak, and his secret goal to make Grandma eat Alpo in order to survive, and before you know it there may actually be a debate about the role of government (i.e., about ideas) in this campaign. Imagine that: a debate about ideas, and possible avoidence of bankruptcy! Mitt's Mormonism is comical but it's not a serious concern. There are doctrines of the Catholic Church that are equally absurd, but we've lived with them for 2000 years so we're used to them. Lieberman was/is an Orthodox Jew and nobody cared much what is buried in Deutoronomy, or Job for that matter.

I think this is the best choice Mitt could have made. I love the fact that Obama will (accidentally) make this a debate about the reach of the Moocher-State. I am afraid, however, that when Obama is (likely) reelected, he will claim a mandate for more mooching.

PDS wrote:

. . . The Left will focus on Ryan's budgetary goals, his Randian streak, and his secret goal to make Grandma eat Alpo in order to survive, and before you know it there may actually be a debate about the role of government (i.e., about ideas) in this campaign. Imagine that: a debate about ideas, and possible avoidance of bankruptcy! I think this is the best choice Mitt could have made.

end quote

Amen brothers and sisters! I am watching Mitt and Paul, live from North Carolina as I write this.

Studiodekadent suggested that:

A good article on Reason Magazine's blog:

end quote

Thanks! One of the best analyses about picking Paul Ryan that I have found so far, was in National Review Online. I will quote some of it below.

Peter

Substance and Style

By Deroy Murdock

August 11, 2012 12:24 P.M.

For his running mate, presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney wisely selected the distinguished House Budget Committee chairman Paul Ryan (R., Wis.). In essence, this is the first major decision of a Romney administration. It is a superb one. Ryan refreshingly combines a command of the substance of public policy with the style needed to communicate free-market solutions in an appealing fashion. Unlike the last Republican vice-presidential nominee, Ryan will have no problem speaking persuasively and specifically about the federal Leviathan’s every activity and expenditure.

Ryan is ideally suited to battle the Left on Medicare, a battle they surely will try to turn into Gettysburg 2012. They will accuse Romney and Ryan of wanting to gut Medicare, unplug sick seniors from their intravenous drips, and force them to dehydrate in the sun-drenched parking lots of eldercare centers across America. In the most vile, despicable, and revolting political ad since Lyndon Johnson notoriously intimated that Barry Goldwater would kill a flower-picking little girl in a thermonuclear exchange, liberals showed a Ryan-like congressman hurling an old lady from her wheelchair into a ravine, surely to her death. Democrats likely are crafting commercials that will make the throw-Granny-off-a-cliff spot look like Ryan’s family album.

To that, Ryan will respond: First, no one over age 55 will be affected by any proposed changes to Medicare. Second, just as every member of Congress does now, those under 55 will have the option — if they wish — to purchase health plans that reflect their tastes and preferences, rather than a single plan dictated by our masters in Washington. Third, based on their economic needs, the federal government will provide financial assistance to help them buy such coverage. The rich will get less help; the poor will get more. Fourth, any senior who finds this unattractive is welcome to remain in Medicare as we know it. Absent such reforms, Ryan will explain, it won’t be Granny going over the cliff. It will be the entire Medicare system — with the rest of the federal budget and much of the American economy tumbling soon thereafter . . . .

Ryan is perfectly prepared to educate Americans on the Democrats’ cynical thievery and, finally, put them on defense on Medicare. Atop his substance, Ryan also brings style to the ticket. Ryan is Congress’s handsomest member, and his youthful energy and general exuberance are infectious. His smiling optimism will make it very hard for Democrats to portray him as a nasty, cold, heartless Granny killer. While Senator Rob Portman (R., Ohio) looks like someone with an Excel spreadsheet where his heart is, Ryan indubitably has ventricles and an aorta in his chest. Try as they will, Democrats will struggle to twist Ryan into the vicious caricature into which they often transform Republicans.

Ryan also can talk tough without being mean. His speech this morning in Norfolk, Va., before the USS Wisconsin deftly offered solid hits on Obama’s record without the snarls that might rattle independents or fragile centrists.

Ryan smoothly refuted Obama’s notorious slap at job creators. As Ryan put it today: “If you have a small business — you did build that.” He nicely threw Obama’s entire class-warfare theme back into the president’s face. As Ryan said: “We Americans look at one another’s success with pride, not resentment, because we know, as more Americans work hard, take risks, and succeed, more people will prosper, our communities will benefit, and individual lives will be improved and uplifted.”

Ryan concisely critiqued Obama’s entire approach as president and contrasted it with his and Romney’s plans. As Ryan stated: “We won’t duck the tough issues . . . we will lead! We won’t blame others . . . we will take responsibility! We won’t replace our founding principles . . . we will reapply them!”

In naming a running mate with intellect, gravitas, seriousness of purpose, courage, charm, and communications skills, Romney’s recruitment of Ryan recalls another Republican “R” — Reagan.

Yesterday I remarked to Karen "I could actually think about retiring if I thought Romney would serve two terms followed by two terms of Ryan", then today I read this: http://www.realclear...yan_115080.html

"...try this fun thought experiment: Close your eyes and picture Mitt Romney as president for two terms. Then: Repeat the same exercise with Paul Ryan in mind. Finally, ask yourself, "Did Ryan set off any alarm bells that Romney did not?" "

LOL! No problem. I feel more relaxed with Paul Ryan.

Twenty Reasons why Paul Ryan is a great choice...

1. Paul Ryan is not Joe Biden.
  2. Romney Ryan sounds like Ronald Reagan.
  3. Liberals hate him.
  4. Democrat political operative and CNN contributor (naturally) James Carville was critical of Paul Ryan because he didn’t wear a tie during the VP announcement. You know the Democrats are worried if a news segment was devoted to what Ryan was wearing.
  5. He’s making liberals go insane. Russell Simmons, who is worth $340 million and owned a 49,000-square-foot home, tweeted: “Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, two men who will destroy our people.”
  6. Romney/Ryan raised $3.5 million dollars in one day after the announcement. Money is an indicator of voter enthusiasm.
  7. More than 10,000 people attended a campaign rally In North Carolina. This wasn’t a union “rent-a-mob.”
  8. More than 10,000 people turned out to welcome Paul Ryan back to Wisconsin. Neither Romney nor Ryan wore a tie.
  9. A fundraiser in Chicago for Obama resulted in a half-full room.
  10. Obama and Co. immediately went on the attack. I think they’re surprised that Romney made such a bold move with a conservative.
  11. He knows how to debate.
  12. He’s not a wimp.
  13. He’ll stand up to the liberal media. Not a hard thing to do if a person decides to do it.
  14. He drove the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile and worked at McDonalds. This shows that he can relate to people who work for a living and that he had more private sector work experience than President Obama.
  15. He’s pro-life. He co-sponsored the Sanctity of Human Life Act and Right to Life Act.[1]
  16. A National Abortion Rights Action League (NARAL) “press release being circulated by Democrats and women’s groups” accuses the Catholic, pro-life Ryan with “extreme” anti-abortion views.
  17. He’s against homosexual marriage. “He has voted in favor of the Marriage protection act, twice in favor of an amendment to the Constitution to define marriage, and against the repeal of the military’s ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy.”
  18. Libertarians should like Ryan for this statement: “I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are, and what my beliefs are. It’s inspired me so much that it’s required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff.”
  19. Hopefully Ryan will help pull Romney more to the right.
  20. The Tea Party is enthusiastic. “This absolutely brings excitement to the ticket,” said Debbie Dooley, co-founder of the Atlanta Tea Party, who said she her reaction was “Wow!” when she heard the news. “This gives us something to vote for rather than voting against (incumbent Democratic U.S. President Barack) Obama.”

21. The smartest guy in the room.

22. Young and super fit, ready for the long haul (see post #10).

23. Doesn't sound like a sleaze ball, genuinely respects hard working people.

24. His ear wax is smarter than Joe Biden.

I knew I could count on you for more points!

25. His wife is hotter than Biden's.

26. He f___in bow hunts!!!

27. He actually knows there is a second amendment and a first amendment, in fact, he knows we have a Constitution that needs to be re-applied!

28. He has a hot wife...oops...

28. He has 6 or 8 % body fat whereas Biden just has brain fat.

29. He sleeps on his couch in his Congressional Office, he has not tax payer paid "apartment."

In the space of two days, Romney in the company of Paul Ryan, made two stunningly ignorant gaffs. In the first, on CBS 60 Minutes, he blurted out that he certainly was in favor of the wealthy paying a higher percentage of their income in taxes, because that's only "fair." Thus conceding that as a premise or a given without challenging the illogic behind it!Then, this morning, he made another stupid mistake, but it so annoyed me that my brain has blocked it out of consciousness to prevent blowing the circuits.. When I find it, I list it here. The problem with that is that Romney routinely concedes many of the liberals' premises and usually adds, "Well, WE will do it better!" AS one of his spokespersons did in answering the Dems' slander that he was complicit in the death of a laid-off steelworker's wife. The spokesperson replied, "Well, if he had lived in Massachusetts he would have had healthcare!"...[.jezus ca-rayhist!!!]Oh, wait, my brain rebooted! Romney, in a campaign speech, stated that he wanted a constitutional amendment requiring that those running for president have at least two years of private sector business experience. This is apparently his awkward and inept way to point out Obama's lack of business experience, but now he will have to explain, again and again, that he really doesn't want a constitutional amendment.,(groan, sigh)This might not be so bad if the ticket was reversed and we had Ryan on top and Goofy,...er, I mean, Romney, as Veep. But that is not to be!

Maybe he was dry cleaned when he went to Europe...

because he certainly could not have been brainwashed like his father was when he went to Vietnam...

Mitt's favorite character is the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz...

if he only had a brain...

Not that Mitt is concerned with my opinion of him, but learning that he has, on several occasions, listed L. Ron Hubbard as his favorite fiction author (He just loved The Invaders' Plan) hardly raised my evaluation of him. Yes, I know his damage control publicity agents quickly added that that really was not his favorite author. Too late. The libs started hooting and hollering about his reading choices..

Jerry,

Romney is nothing more than a transition person. He will never be libertarian or even small government for real. (Ryan leans small government in a way he never will.)

But he's a hell of a lot better than continuing with Obama.

If someone says I must choose between carrying around a 50 pound weight on my leg or be squished by a boulder, and if I refuse to choose, I'll be squished by default, I'll take the 50 pounds.

Michael

Michael,

Is there an argument here? I don't think so. I just hope that Romney can keep his foot out of his mouth.

Ryan, as everyone knows (with the exception of Rachel Maddow and her ilk), is not a 100% Objectivist. He apparently is still a Catholic and subscribes to other conservative beliefs.

BUT....he is as close to being an Objectivist that we have ever seen that actually has a chance of getting elected. Frankly, I thought I would never see the day.

It is an unfortunate fact of political life in America that there are not enough pure libertarians, let alone Objectivists, to fundamentally change this country, politically. Some sort of aliiance has to be made with other groups that we may find distasteful, philosophically, but who also hold the same or similar views on the role of government, economics, etc..

I don't know if this ticket can be elected. Any mistake, misstatement no matter how trivial will be pounced upon by the MSM. They wlll, of course, go after Rand and attribute all sorts of evil deeds to her. But, as I have repeatedly said, this is the same tactic that has been used against her ever since Atlas Shrugged was published in1957 Yet, despite this almost totally negative press, interest in her ideas just keeps growing.

In Ayn Rand Nation, the author, who opposes Rand's views, stated that the misrepresentation of her views by her media critics and the attempts to defeat her with ridicule, have not worked, and will ultimately fail. In which case, Objectivism will continue to grow and will become the dominant political ideology. The author is quite serious about this and is not happy about it. I can just see him becoming hysterical upon learning that Paul Ryan has been chosen as Romney's running mate, something like, "I knew it! I knew it! Just as I warned!.Objectivism really is going to take over the country!! Oh my God! Oh my God!" tranquilizer administered].

Jerry,

I presume you are not a fan of Glenn Beck, but he has a campaign going through the churches similar to what Acorn did. Except they are doing it their way. (See it here--and just this page alone is getting a hell of a lot of traffic.)

Basically, they have set up a page on Barton's Wallbuilders site for people to verify if they are registered to vote. At the time a person does this, his or she is also urged to get one more friend to register--or four. Glenn has said that most of the people who go to church are not registered, so he has put on an interfaith drive to get them moving.

Whether you like church-based initiatives or not, they are very effective when they take off. Usually, they are more focused on charity work or church expansion, but this time it is a voter-drive adopted by a bunch of different churches--with preachers pounding this theme throughout the USA every week--and I believe the results will speak for themselves.

Glenn is 100% behind getting Romney elected (even though he doesn't trust him and never has--fellow Mormon notwithstanding), he loves Paul Ryan and has interviewed him several times, and he is committed to holding Romney's feet to the fire after the election.

I honestly believe part of the Romney's decision to invite Ryan is this ground-swell of voter registration from the Tea Party side. (Glenn is essentially a Tea Party person.) It's solid and it's growing.

I'm not saying Glenn has done this on his own. There is a coalition behind it. But it's going and going strong.

I haven't seen this reported in the mainstream media yet, but I expect I will as the election nears. I believe the polls are going to reflect this.

On the other end, the Tea Party is busy, busy, busy getting the congressional races set up to give Romney a congress hopefully oriented toward small-government. Sarah Palin has already been making news in the mainstream about the success of the people she supports.

In "The Anatomy of Compromise," Ayn Rand said:

In any conflict between two men (or two groups) who hold the same basic principles, it is the more consistent one who wins.

I believe we are seeing this principle operating with the influence of the small government people (mostly Tea Party) on the Republican Party as a whole. And we will see it more as time goes on.

Not too long ago, libertarian meant wacko to most people. Now it is a legitimate position to argue on the mainstream table. (Ron Paul deserves a lot of credit for this, too.) Now the candidate for VP is about the closest thing to a libertarian we have ever had.

I can't wait to see Romney's cabinet.

Michael

Michael:

The Nascar community has been engaged in the same effort for the last year.

This is, like most elections, a turnout election. If everyone merely registers ten folks between now and October and takes the personal responsibility to physically drive them to the polls, or, pay for a cab to and from the polls, or, get them an absentee ballot and make sure they fill it out properly and you

personally take it to your County Board of Elections, O'bama cannot win.

I am doing more than that, however if everyone did just ten (10) it is over.

Adam

I see the "sex trumps politics" theory continues to build evidence.

30. Ryan is not Obama

31. Ryan at least understands the parts of Atlas Shrugged he disagrees

32. Ryan is not Biden

33. Ryan is a fresh conversation in a landscape stinking in predictably bad dialog that wasn't good 100 years ago when it was new

34. Ryan makes firing Obama more tolerable

35. Ryan is a step in the right direction even if it is a small step

I knew I could count on you for more points!

26. He f___in bow hunts!!!

27. He actually knows there is a second amendment and a first amendment, in fact, he knows we have a Constitution that needs to be re-applied!

28. He has a hot wife...oops...

28. He has 6 or 8 % body fat whereas Biden just has brain fat.

29. He sleeps on his couch in his Congressional Office, he has not tax payer paid "apartment."

Biden's wife is smarter, though.

Admittedly in the Biden family she would have to be...

I like Joe. He is living proof that brains are a minor requirement for a successful American politician.