What are the best arguments for and against the Abrahamic deity?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Objectivism: entities exist independent of one's consciousness.

e.g. things you might not approve of, such as animal cruelty or- theism. There does not have to be the reality of god, for the reality of the premise of god, to exist.

I don't think terms like "animal cruelty" or the premise that god exists would be called 'entities' in Objectivism.

A thought or a concept- whether true or fallacious- is still an entity.

What Rand calls "entities" are things, perceptual concretes:

http://aynrandlexico...con/entity.html

AR: The development of human cognition starts with the ability to perceive things, i.e., entities. Of man’s five cognitive senses, only two provide him with a direct awareness of entities: sight and touch. The other three senses—hearing, taste and smell—give him an awareness of some of an entity’s attributes (or of the consequences produced by an entity): they tell him that something makes sounds, or something tastes sweet, or something smells fresh; but in order to perceive this something, he needs sight and/or touch.

She also calls entities "the only primary existents". http://aynrandlexico...con/entity.html

Objectivism: entities exist independent of one's consciousness.

e.g. things you might not approve of, such as animal cruelty or- theism. There does not have to be the reality of god, for the reality of the premise of god, to exist.

I don't think terms like "animal cruelty" or the premise that god exists would be called 'entities' in Objectivism.

Quite right: the "entities" are in fact "existents".

Ta.