Lord Stanley I Presume?

Carol:

Blackhawks, or, the Kings, not sure which yet.

The Torquemada Tortorelli ain't going nowhere according to ownership.

A...

So much for that rumor...

Tortorelli just got fired!

The Holy Hockey Puck God's just scored for the fans!

Yum!The once smooth now cracked and crusty surface - the delicious melt inside - can't wait.

He deserves it, for being a coach who flippantly trashed his players, and whose players

ultimately did not want to play for him.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attention! All hockey lovers on OL report to the train station and go back to Canada now! (planes are optional, cars are not)

--Bent

American fans of this unAmerican game report to the re-education camps!

pucks and sticks go into the nearest dumpster certified for hazardous waste! (they came for your pucks one [gross] by one [gross])

if I don't speak out now I'll forfeit my right to complain later--but it may be too late

damn! I have to go to the store for more booze!

(if you write enough you'll be revealed for what you really are--that's why my posts are so short [i'm really actually tall but no so tall as to be ~really~ tall])

Oh Mr Gaede, Mr Gaede., . Such unjust and discreditable feelings are not raised in you through any defect in your own character, but from the folly, nay the positive evil, of those who ought to guide for the best, but through avarice and blind ambition have set out everything to bring the worst. In thrusting a northeastern game upon the southwest, the loathsome fleabrains of the NHL have, not amongst the least of their crimes, rendered irrational, partial and unsteady a man whose qualities ought otherwise to render him reasonable, liberal and respectable.

Carol

Yeah, still on the Austen. Halfway through Northanger Abbey again. Isabella Thorpe is a real nascent Mrs Elton isn't she?

O come let us sit upon the ground

And tell sad stories of the death of Kings.....

and of proud Pittsburgh broken in the dust..

Original Six final, yay!

Carol:

Who do you like in the finals?

I am going against my division and going with Chicago in six (6)...

A...

I will bet it goes all the way to 7. But as to the winner I can't choose, finals are so uniquely unpredictable. I will say Bruins on a dice roll. At least my poor Leafs will have the comfort of having done better against them than anybody else!

What an opener!Triple overtime in a Clash of Titans... tiny Shaw getting in the face, at least the chest, of man-mountain Chara..heroic goaltending...brilliant altogether.I can hear Lord S beating appreciation on the sides of his stately mausoleum. Can't wait for Saturday.\

\

Carol

Exhausted

Following the recent heroics of Boston's Campbell, playing two shifts with a broken leg, one of the hockey sites did a roundup of the most horrific on-ice injuries survived by NHLers past and present, players contributing their anecdotes and members voting on the most notable. A real gorefest!

Here is the winner, the simple stoic testament of an ex-Dallas Star:

"I had Sean Avery on my team."

Carol:

Did you ever see the movie Miracle about Herb Brooks and the 1980 Lake Placid team that defeated the Soviet pigs in the first part of the medal round on their way to a gold medal?

A...

Carol:

Did you ever see the movie Miracle about Herb Brooks and the 1980 Lake Placid team that defeated the Soviet pigs in the first part of the medal round on their way to a gold medal?

A...

Yes, loved every miute.

Adam dear, in your kindness, you know my ineptidute. Sean Mc|I recently in DownGoes \Brown on Grantland, wrote such a hilarious narrative of watching playoff overtim \e Iwould like it to be reproduced for anybody who also might enjoy--I fell down laughing. \TIA

Shutout Boston! At home, of course. Still I have hopes of seeing |Rask throw a tantrum sometime before the series ends.

And Zdeno Chara is just a freak of nature. Just look at him. 7 foot in his skates. I have met a lot of Slovakians, and I tell you, if he was not adopted from some other planet,he was a test tube baby, possibly genetically crossed with some sort of water plant.

Great play. I look forward to the increasing desperation, which I predict will let Chicago tie it up again next game.

This is where coaches tear out their hair if they have any, on-air broadcasters forget to analyze and just roll around enjoying themselves, and team owners actually dare to go out and buy new packs of gum.

My God, the Calgary floodwaters have reached the luxury boxes at the Saddledome, 10 tiers up -- what if the Flames had made it to the Cup final (as if,insert joke here)--- I suppose they would have used the Jets rink or maybe Vancouver - yikes. My son is still stuck there as of now, he has been sending reports to his station in Barrie.

Back to important things, it is best of 3 now. They are taking away Crawford's oven mitts so he should have a better game tonight.

Tortorella is going to Vancouver???? He is the worst fit for that city I can possibly think of. The NY sports media were fawning on him, compared to what the Canucks crowd will do if he carries on with the arrogance. Hockey is the only game in town there.

I believe I called the Blackhawks in six (6)!

Yep, post #186:

Carol:

A...

I believe I called the Blackhawks in six (6)!

Yep, post #186:

Carol:

A...

So youI did, I had even forgotten! Congrats Nostradamus. Hope you had a real bet on it! And I said Bruins on a dice roll, which the ice last night sure made likely.

Have you ever seen such a watchable series?

Carol

still recovering and trying to remember what normal life is like

Carol

It was a super classic. Very well played, end to end skating, pretty clean and few stoppages.

Carol

It was a super classic. Very well played, end to end skating, pretty clean and few stoppages.

Oh, yes. No such thing as a non-essential hit, and no diving. If a guy goes down and bleeds a few minutes onto the ice,like Shaw did, either he's dead or he gets up and keeps playing, and everybody knows that. The balance between the painkillers and the adrenalin must be terrifying to the team docs. Some players will not take painkillers because they believe they slow them down.

Just listened to an interview with Tortorella as the new Canucks coach. I did enjoy his Boston/Yankee/street thug accent and how he says "excape" and "true" for through. He said that getting the heave from NY made him think twice about himself as a person and as a coach. Then he got the job offer from Van and his third thought was "I'm the best just like I already knew!" (I made up that last part).

It does seem to have penetrated his brain that in Vancouver there is only one major league sports team whereas in NY there are four,and that he will get more media attention and comment than formerly. But he apparently intends to maintain residence in New |York, so I guess he will be able to get home often and excape the nuisance.