Lord Stanley I Presume?

O Marc, thanks.

And O, the delicious caress of the cool spring breeze on my chinny-chin-chin!

I don't really care how well we do, of course I hope we don't totally collapse. The long march back is begun with this step. No longer the laughing stock of the NHL, destroyed by Ballard, who truly hated the good for being good, mismanaged by subsequent corporate bumblers, now at last despite them all, a good team and maybe someday a great one again.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping that Montreal meets Toronto 1st round , WHEN Toronto beats them that will be the the Stanley Cup right there.

If they could win another round , then as they say .... who knows !!!!

For those reading who are not from Montreal or Toronto , it is the same as the Bears Packers , Ohio State Michigan , Yankees Red Sox , Lakers Celtics , Ali Frazier , Bush Clinton ( ok , that one was stretching things ) .

I am hoping that Montreal meets Toronto 1st round , WHEN Toronto beats them that will be the the Stanley Cup right there.

If they could win another round , then as they say .... who knows !!!!

For those reading who are not from Montreal or Toronto , it is the same as the Bears Packers , Ohio State Michigan , Yankees Red Sox , Lakers Celtics , Ali Frazier , Bush Clinton ( ok , that one was stretching things ) .

Thanks Marc!

I said that I didn't care what happens as long as the drought has ended but of course I hope we win the first round, new icing on a nine year old cake tastes the sweetest.

Due to my TV troubles I cannot even get the wisdom of Inderpreet and his dad, am following the game on live blogs and win or lose will have to go down to the pub for the end of the season. In danger of becoming drunk as a lord, I mean lady (why is the editor not working)?

Isn't it great when it is a one anthem game?

For any browsers who have stumbled on this thread thinking there would be any intellectual content, sorry guys.

The Stanley Cup is acknowledged in the professional sports business as the most difficult championship to win. Even reaching the quarterfinals is ridiculously hard. And no, Ayn Rand never said anything about it.

Reason this Year's Cup playoff thread portion will be the best ever:

1. More OLers might participate. The dynamic trio of Adam, Dennis H and me all have our teams in the running. Marc has graciously committed to support the Leafs, as an OLer and Torontonian, not just because his neighbours have been strolling past his house waving Leafs flags, eyeing his car and casually asking him what kind of playoff parties he will be hosting. Even MSK, lover of excellence, might notice that Chicago is the best team in the league. Jonathan, former reluctant child goalie and survivor of a live Wild game, may stock up on throwables. And PDS who has actually played the game may weigh in with some colour commentary as the Wings have scraped into the post season at the expense of a more deserving team. Is it true that as reported by Downgoesbrown, that Detroit fans are filling their Gatorade bottles with "Columbus Water" made from the tears of Blue Jackets supporters?

2. My Punjabi is improving. I now recognize the verbs "beating up on" and "diving". Half the vocab is English anyway, hockey not being indigenous to the Vale of Kashmir. And Inderpreet and his dad have the best playoff beards in the country.

3. Adam will lose all his bets, since past performance is no indicator of results in playoffs when all bets are off.

4. .Canadian players will become more widely known as the multifaceted human beings that they are .

Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo for example is a gifted amateur poet, and I will close with his ode to one of my own favourite players:

Byfuglien

Human eclipse

Rhinoceros hips

Who will last laugh when I slash your calf?

Bring peace

Make it cease

Get your big ass out of my crease

Sidetracking to Incredible Boys Icew Hockey:

canada's Junior team has dethroned the US as world champions! Shananana...heyheyhey...goodbye.

I noted a lot of French surnames amongst the Cdn players. Did the quebecois start breeding again when I wasn't looking?

Jonathan, former reluctant child goalie and survivor of a live Wild game, may stock up on throwables.

I'm definitely stocking up on throwables, but this year I've changed my strategy. Last year, when I threw Atlas Shruggeds at the Islanders, they not only beat the Wilders, but the Wilders then completely fell apart for the rest of the season. So this year I'm going to throw Atlas Shruggeds at the Wilders. It may sound counterintuitive, but its actually quite logical: If getting beaned by Rand's novels makes teams play better, and if it hexes the team that wasn't beaned, then you should bean your own team.

J

Jonathan, former reluctant child goalie and survivor of a live Wild game, may stock up on throwables.

I'm definitely stocking up on throwables, but this year I've changed my strategy. Last year, when I threw Atlas Shruggeds at the Islanders, they not only beat the Wilders, but the Wilders then completely fell apart for the rest of the season. So this year I'm going to throw Atlas Shruggeds at the Wilders. It may sound counterintuitive, but its actually quite logical: If getting beaned by Rand's novels makes teams play better, and if it hexes the team that wasn't beaned, then you should bean your own team.

J

I'll be sticking with the Octopi.. thanks again Emile!

Rising Young Detroit Exec

Now Shmerk's boss haha!

Another playoff rumour floating around is that an insurgent group of Rangers insiders and fans, incited by the NY sports media, are planning to publicly burn Tortorella if the team bombs out n the first round. Not in effigy either.

J

There's some truth swimming around in this.

--Brant

but rationality?

Another playoff rumour floating around is that an insurgent group of Rangers insiders and fans, incited by the NY sports media, are planning to publicly burn Tortorella if the team bombs out n the first round. Not in effigy either.

My assignment is to bring the pointed sticks, the marsh mellows and the kindling.

A...

J

There's some truth swimming around in this.

--Brant

but rationality?

It makes perfect sense to me. But please don't mention beans. We have to play Boston. Have you had a look at their mascot? It is a threatening psychotic looking bear. Do Bruins fans plan to allow their children watch these games and be traumatized out of their minds? I think the league should stand up and make sure that only rational adults and Canadians should watch and, er, officiate at Boston games. At least for the first round.

My assignment is to bring the pointed sticks, the marsh mellows and the kindling.

A...

lol your visiting Brothers from the Fraternal Order will be there to enjoy the campfire

-Gord

How about some predictions for the very exciting first round :

Minn- Chic

Det- Anaheim

SJ- Van

LA-St L

NYI-Pitt

Ott- Mont

NYR - Wash

Tor - Bos

I will pick ( drumroll please )

Chic , Det , Van , St L , Pitt, Ott , Wash , Bos ( sorry Daunce )

And we will keep picking series winners till the end !

15 series , lets see who is the Objectivist/ hockey guru 2013 !!!!!!

Chic

Anaheim

San Jose

St L

NY Islanders

Mont

NY Rangers

Tor [purely a Carol pick]

Wilders acquitted themselves very respectably in Game 1 - ouchy OT loss.

Jonathan, we know you may have unresolved issues but cripes, don't throw Atlases at the goalie! At least until the game starts.

Wilders acquitted themselves very respectably in Game 1 - ouchy OT loss.

Jonathan, we know you may have unresolved issues but cripes, don't throw Atlases at the goalie! At least until the game starts.

Let me upgrade respectable to incredible.

Backup goalie Harding was last-minute and unprepared, yet he battled the entire game nearly to victory in overtime. First-star, heroic performance. And the guy has MS.

I watched five minutes of hockey overtime last night. Here is my judgment: hockey is infinitely better than soccer for the spectator and vice versa for the players.

--Brant

in the future you must ask me for my opinions