Lord Stanley I Presume?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sob, sob...forty years no Cup...old days better...sob, sob...

It is unbearably tropical today, always depresses me. Is it as bad in NJ?

It was up until about two (2) hours, now it has cooled down before it heats up out in LA...

120 mins more or so...Inderpreet and Paranayan are already on and joined by an older man, looks like Inderpreets dad and is deferred to. *ow many turbans does it take to do Stanley Cup commentary?

120 mins more or so...Inderpreet and Paranayan are already on and joined by an older man, looks like Inderpreets dad and is deferred to. *ow many turbans does it take to do Stanley Cup commentary?

Depends on the unemployment in Pakistan/India/Sri Lanka...

lol .I believe my sportscasters to be Sik s actually.

I assume you mean Sikh and they are from Punjab India right?

I assume you mean Sikh and they are from Punjab India right?

yes, sorry for my 2 absent consonants & punctuation marks.. Would it be better to just leave out or use an asterisk to mark like t*is?

I know, I know! It would be better to acquire a new computer but it is not possible.

Punjabi speakers often never were in India or Pakistan. My Ismaili pal Nasim for example, speaks native Punjabi but family was in Tanzania for many decades before removal to Britain and later Canada.

Punjabi speakers often never were in India or Pakistan. My Ismaili pal Nasim for example, speaks native Punjabi but family was in Tanzania for many decades before removal to Britain and later Canada.

However, that is their genealogical, or, genetic center of origin right?

Yes, yes you are. I am from Canadas Nerves Capital and very experienced in treatment of various types of sudden breakdown , not only of trucks! I am on your side, I recommend a Molson Canadian , and an LA win.

manihum3.jpg

Om Mani Padme Hum

Pretty sad way to decide a cup...

Pretty sad way to decide a cup...

Ars lona, vita brevis!

hippocrates.gifOrigin

The translation into Latin of part of a quotation by the Greek 'Father of Medicine' - Hippocrates.

Meaning

This is one of those rare phrases in which the meaning is more debated than the origin. What is usually understood by 'Ars longa, vita brevis' is something along the lines of 'art lasts forever, but artists die and are forgotten'.

That is questioned by some, who say that it is a misinterpretation based on a misunderstanding of the translation of 'ars' as 'art'. If we accept that the Latin term 'ars' is equivalent to the Greek 'techne' and that, consequently, 'ars' is better translated into English as 'skill' or 'craft', we may opt to interpret the phrase differently. The full quotation, in Latin, is

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile."

This can be rendered into English as 'life is short, the art (craft/skill) long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult'.

That would lead us to interpret the meaning as 'it takes a long time to acquire and perfect one's expertise (in, say, medicine) and one has but a short time in which to do it'.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/index.html <<<<Nice little website

O, yes.

???? which means what?