Paul Ryan, Ayn Rand, and my Thom Hartmann interview

Paul Ryan, Ayn Rand, and my Thom Hartmann interview<p><br /> <p>On May 2, 2012, I appeared on “The Big Picture,” a TV show hosted by Thom Hartmann, to discuss the recent controversy surrounding Rep. Paul Ryan’s views on Ayn Rand.<br /><br />Here’s the video, with my segment from time mark 35:25 through about 42:25.<p><br /> <br /> <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aYBOZMj1h_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><br />The problem with debating someone so thoroughly steeped in leftist ideology is you don’t know where to start when refuting their misconceptions and certainly can’t do a thorough job in a short interview. But you do get a good sense of their worldview and what we’re up against.<p><br /></div><div> </div><div>If you can stomach it, watch the first segments where Hartmann gives the most bizarre descriptions of “libertarianism” and blames the current economic crisis in Europe on “libertarian” austerity measures.<p><br /></div><div> </div><div> Concerning Rep. Ryan, the Wisconsin Republican has again been criticized for his past expressions of admiration for Ayn Rand’s thought and work. He has responded to critics by emphatically declaring that he is not an Objectivist, though he never claimed to be, and that he rejects her atheism, though he has always been open about his own Catholic beliefs.</div><p><br />Public officials who are friends of freedom shouldn’t be spooked by critics of Rand. They should use Rand’s analyses and arguments where they find them compelling, and should employ Objectivist insights that offer a clear understanding of the world today. And they shouldn’t put up with critics who denounce them for accepting parts of the philosophy with which they might disagree.<br /><br />Of course, I hope in the long run friends of freedom will come to appreciate the whole Objectivist package!</p><p> </p>

Man what a slimebucket. I only watched your part of it, you did very well especially given how rude he was. I suggest taking a page out of the Hitchens playbook if you go back and he accuses you of “filibustering” again. I think it was here where he did his “you invited me and asked me a question, now you’re going to listen to my answer” routine:

There was another one that was even better, but I can't recall who it was with.

BTW I sent Paul Ryan an email early last week when the story broke. It's pretty similar to material I wrote on OL and other places, but here it is anyway:

Congressman Ryan, I just want to point out a barely known piece of writing by Ayn Rand, her letter to the Reverend Dudley dated October 23, 1943. In it she wrote: “I believe my statement of man’s proper morality does not contradict any religious belief, if that belief includes faith in man’s free will.” Google it and you'll find the rest, it's very worthwhile. I believe this could be useful to you in defending yourself from recent attacks. Whether it represents her mature view is subject to debate, in the event of a quote-mining war, there's no predicting how it'll turn out. Note that the mailing address I've provided is in fact your mailing address, I don't actually live in your district and the system wouldn't let me email you using my proper address. Hopefully I haven't just violated some law...last thing I want is to end up the cellmate of John Edwards.

https://paulryanforms.house.gov/Contact/Email.htm

Hopefully I haven't just violated some law...last thing I want is to end up the cellmate of John Edwards.

Now that is hilarious!!!!

deleted dupilcate

deleted triplicate

Clearly Carol is a witch!

This is an actual picture of her familiar...

black-cat.jpg

Obviously I have to practise my black arts harder - I need to delete my own triplicates, not cast them on others. Anyway 9ths comment was funnyx3.

That cat is a dead ringer for my late lamented last cat, Damian.

BTW I sent Paul Ryan an email early last week when the story broke. It's pretty similar to material I wrote on OL and other places, but here it is anyway:

Congressman Ryan, I just want to point out a barely known piece of writing by Ayn Rand, her letter to the Reverend Dudley dated October 23, 1943. In it she wrote: “I believe my statement of man’s proper morality does not contradict any religious belief, if that belief includes faith in man’s free will.” Google it and you'll find the rest, it's very worthwhile. I believe this could be useful to you in defending yourself from recent attacks. Whether it represents her mature view is subject to debate, in the event of a quote-mining war, there's no predicting how it'll turn out. Note that the mailing address I've provided is in fact your mailing address, I don't actually live in your district and the system wouldn't let me email you using my proper address. Hopefully I haven't just violated some law...last thing I want is to end up the cellmate of John Edwards.

https://paulryanform...ntact/Email.htm

Although, as cell mates go, John Edwards might be better than some of the aternatives down at the Pokey (double entendre full intended).

Although, as cell mates go, John Edwards might be better than some of the aternatives down at the Pokey (double entendre full intended).

True 'nuff, but hardly the makings of a good punchline.

Thanks Ninth! I like Hitch's response.

By the way, I'm not sure if there was more to the Ryan interviews and discussions in which he separates himself fomr Objectivism where he might say good things about Rand. He certainly could do like many other Rand-friendly religious folks do: state what aspects of Rand they agree with and disagree with. After all, Sen Ron Johnson from Ryan's Wisconsin said he got into politics because of Rand. Justice Thomas, a good Catholic, is more of a fan of Fountainhead. Rep. Ed Royce of California, also Catholic, spoke at the opening of our DC office and has no trouble distinquishing the parts of Rand with which he agrees and disagrees.

Cheers!

Ed