BaalChatzaf

More evidence that autism has a genetic cause....

Please have a look at this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/health/research/scientists-link-rare-gene-mutations-to-heightened-risk-of-autism.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120405

I think that might finally put a stake through the theory that autism is caused by vaccines.

Ba'al Chatzaf

http://www.nytimes.c...dit_th_20120405

I think that might finally put a stake through the theory that autism is caused by vaccines.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Your reasoning seems to be:

1. It has a genetic cause.

2. Therefore it has no other cause.

I say #2 does not follow from #1.

Probably everything has a genetic component. Even lifestyle doctors (those who advocate health by healthful living) believe in the genetic component. Dr. Shelton even devoted a whole article to the genetic component, explaining why achieving and maintaining health is more difficult for some people than for others. Dr. Tilden (another lifestyle doctor) was a great believer in the genetic component as evidenced in his book "Cursed Before Birth". Anyone who studies causes of health problems knows that it is common for diseases to have multiple cause factors.

So to me, that autism has a genetic component is to be expected. Why does it need to be proved? I would be surprised if autism did not have a genetic component. So I don't know what the big deal is, a study proves that there is a genetic component.

Let's imagine that a study comes out that proves that strength of bones has a genetic component. Would this put a stake thru the theory that broken bones are caused by slipping on ice?

If the genetic component is the only cause factor of autism, then that would imply that the gene that causes it increased 78% in the last 10 years. Is that possible? Did people with autism produce 78% more children than average in 10 years?

78 percent increase in childhood autism rates over past decade

Ba'al Chatzaf

Probably everything has a genetic component. Even lifestyle doctors (those who advocate health by healthful living) believe in the genetic component. Dr. Shelton even devoted a whole article to the genetic component, explaining why achieving and maintaining health is more difficult for some people than for others. Dr. Tilden (another lifestyle doctor) was a great believer in the genetic component as evidenced in his book "Cursed Before Birth". Anyone who studies causes of health problems knows that it is common for diseases to have multiple cause factors.

So to me, that autism has a genetic component is to be expected. Why does it need to be proved? I would be surprised if autism did not have a genetic component. So I don't know what the big deal is, a study proves that there is a genetic component.

Let's imagine that a study comes out that proves that strength of bones has a genetic component. Would this put a stake thru the theory that broken bones are caused by slipping on ice?

If the genetic component is the only cause factor of autism, then that would imply that the gene that causes it increased 78% in the last 10 years. Is that possible? Did people with autism produce 78% more children than average in 10 years?

You make a good point. I suspect part of the increase is due to assortive mating. Since Autistics are not likely to succeed in courting neurotypical types they are more likely to mate with other autistics. The other part is change of definition of the condition so that more people fit.

Since there is no clear marker for the condition the count will always be a bit dicey and sloppy.

Long before Herr Doktor Asperger gave the high functioning variety of Autism its name, Nerds have always been part a parcel of the human race. I suspect it was some Aspy Nerd who painted the animals on the cave walls in France 30,000 years ago. While his neuro typical tribal mates were busy chanting songs together the clan Nerd was back in the caves painting away. Think of this as the first time a Nerd has designed a CGI.

Archimedes was probably a Nerd. When a Roman soldier got in the way of his geometrical drawings he did the Nerd thing: He said get out of my light, I am proving a theorem. That cost him.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

You make a good point. I suspect part of the increase is due to assortive mating. Since Autistics are not likely to succeed in courting neurotypical types they are more likely to mate with other autistics. The other part is change of definition of the condition so that more people fit.

Since there is no clear marker for the condition the count will always be a bit dicey and sloppy.

Long before Herr Doktor Asperger gave the high functioning variety of Autism its name, Nerds have always been part a parcel of the human race. I suspect it was some Aspy Nerd who painted the animals on the cave walls in France 30,000 years ago. While his neuro typical tribal mates were busy chanting songs together the clan Nerd was back in the caves painting away. Think of this as the first time a Nerd has designed a CGI.

Archimedes was probably a Nerd. When a Roman soldier got in the way of his geometrical drawings he did the Nerd thing: He said get out of my light, I am proving a theorem. That cost him.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Totally right. We are all on the genetic spectrum and what wonders it has produced.

And you are one of them Baal though sometimes I wonder what on earth you are tallking about.

Carol

inherently physics and chess incapable