The Exploitation of Trayvon Martin

George H. Smith

I don't regard it as tragic... just as the consequence of a chain of actions.

And I was truly happy when I heard the verdict.

What if this had happened to your kid?

Angela:

You offer that as a rational argument?

You are better than that.

A...

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angela:

A...

I'll bet there is many a criminal in gaol whose parents are saying "My boy is innocent - I raised him to be good"...

Asked that question, I think I'd be able to face the truth about my son: to be able to be anguished by his loss - and simultaneously, to accept that objective justice was carried out in setting free the man who killed him. If not quite, feeling "happy". The question is an appeal to emotion. Its premise seems to raise a mind/body false dichotomy. More precisely, subjectively divorcing emotion from reason.

I don't raise scum.

Greg: Again, taking responsibility of personal causation on others, way out on a limb - past reality.

Granted, any caring parent would take something like this on him/herself: to a degree; initially.

But one's son or not, you appear to have an inflated notion of your power over others' actions, for good or for bad.

I don't raise scum.

Greg: Again, taking responsibility of personal causation on others, way out on a limb - past reality.

Granted, any caring parent would take something like this on him/herself: to a degree; initially.

But one's son or not, you appear to have an inflated notion of your power over others' actions, for good or for bad.

A natural extension of being responsible for yourself is being responsible for your children. For they are literally a part of yourself, are they not?

:smile: Until, and some way past, they don't want to be..

Reality is far beyond mere want. :wink:

Yeah-but seriously-not beyond 'volition'. If volition is such a central concept to my life, could I ever deny it to anyone else, specially my daughter?

You are insistent on self-responsibility, and well and good. However, when you claim responsibility for others, (I assume, taking the blame as well as the kudos) you self-contradict.

How can they learn moral choice or self-responsibility if not for themselves- and if you are the causal agent of their doings and character? How did you come by that undoubted virtue?

Angela:

A...

Of course not. She's a woman. (See Moralist.)

--Brant

A natural extension of being responsible for yourself is being responsible for your children. For they are literally a part of yourself, are they not?

If you love someone, let them go- if they don't come back, you've done a fine job.

(ha)

If you love someone, let them go- if they don't come back, you've done a fine job.

(ha)

Does that apply to 4 year olds? :wink:

Yeah-but seriously-not beyond 'volition'. If volition is such a central concept to my life, could I ever deny it to anyone else, specially my daughter?

You are insistent on self-responsibility, and well and good. However, when you claim responsibility for others, (I assume, taking the blame as well as the kudos) you self-contradict.

How can they learn moral choice or self-responsibility if not for themselves- and if you are the causal agent of their doings and character? How did you come by that undoubted virtue?

There is a point in a child's life when they grow sufficiently to become fully responsible to assume the just and deserved consequences of their own moral choices. Until that time comes, it is the responsibility of their parents to make their choices for them in their own best interest.

There is a point in a child's life when they grow sufficiently to become fully responsible to assume the just and deserved consequences of their own moral choices. Until that time comes, it is the responsibility of their parents to make their choices for them in their own best interest.

Some choices, not "choices."

--Brant

Some choices, not "choices."

--Brant

There's always a choice.

Without choice there could be no good,

because good can only be chosen.

(ha)

Gosh. You must consider me a brute! An Objectivist's child can't be equipped for self-determination before at minimum nine y.o.

Gosh. You must consider me a brute! An Objectivist's child can't be equipped for self-determination before at minimum nine y.o.

John Galt left home at the age of two.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Wrong. It was 12 (AS, 725)

Excellent, I was biting my typing fingers not to jump on that one lol.

... reminds me of another early bloomer: Jesus as 12-year-old already lecturing in the Temple. :smile:

A few start preaching much younger than 12 (link).

I knew that. He invented is static electricity to current electricity machine when he was two.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Angela:

A...

I merely asked Moralist a question. The answer I got ("I don't raise scum") shows a very emotional reaction.

The realistic assessment of debates dealing with this highly controversial topic: strong emotions will weigh in by the participants on both sides, which can make it very difficult to have a rational discussion.

Ba'al Chatzaf

AS aka 'The Toddler's Progress'? :D

Wrong. It was 12. (AS, 725)

... reminds me of another early bloomer: Jesus as 12-year-old already lecturing in the Temple. :smile:

Angela:

I understand the smile. However, is this what you were taught in that Catholic school that you attended?

A...

Allegedly...seems like that has some mythological foundation, rather than historical.