Government, Industry, Venn Diagrams

jts

Here is how government regulates cooperates with industry. Or how industry regulates government. Or whatever the 773H is happening. Isn't there supposed to be total separation between government and industry?

Government vs and Industry

Click on the picture to make it larger.

http://i.imgur.com/PVpFY.jpg

Everything King Midas touched turned into gold.

Everything government touches turns into shit.

Thanks, jts! Nice of you to provide that.

It is famous that Enron's Kenneth Lay was undersecretary of Department of the Interior in the Nixon administration.

I think that the best explanation is found in The Invention of Enterprise (Landes and Mokyr, editors). In any time and place, active and ambitious people will use whatever institutions are available. In Rome (as in our time - though not exclusively), that was conquest, rent-farming, and slavery. When it happened that a man made money by trade, he adopted the lifestyle of a landed noble and turned his business over to his slaves for management.

As for our time, it is significant that these intersecting sets are not growth industries or innovative enterprises, but retreating and moribund. Vanity Fair is a pretty magazine and has published many informative investigations over the years. But the future is with Twitter. The Encyclopedia Britannica announced on March 13, 2012, that it will stop publishing via print.

Obviously there are persons in government positions of power that do unethical things and play favorites, but I don't believe there shouldn't be such Venn diagrams. Do you want a regulator who is ignorant about what he/she regulates?

There it is: Crony Capitalism. The aristocracy of pull.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Also, The Power Elite.

C. Wright Mills' schema had a certain leftist tint to it, but he was spot on accurate.

"
Charles Wright Mills
(August 28, 1916 – March 20, 1962) was an
American
sociologist
. His writings addressed the responsibilities of intellectuals in post-
World War II
society and advocated relevance and engagement over disinterested academic observation. Influenced by
Marxist
ideas and the theories of
Max Weber
, Mills was highly critical of capitalism,
bureaucracies
, and elite
social classes
, particularly in the United States."
http://www.newworlde...C._Wright_Mills

Mills had a very combative outlook regarding and towards many parts of his life, the people in it, and his works. In this way, he was a self-proclaimed outsider, explaining that: [Wiki]

I am an outlander, not only regionally, but deep down and for good.[10]

The Power Elite (1956) described the relationship between the political, military, and economic elite in America. Mills noted that these people share a common worldview:

1. the "military metaphysic": a military definition of reality

2. possess "class identity": recognizing themselves separate and superior to the rest of society

3. have interchangeability: i.e. the ability to move within and between the three institutional structures and hold interlocking directorates

4. co-optation: socialization of prospective new members is done based on how well they "clone" themselves socially after such elites.

These elites in the "big three" institutional orders have an alliance based upon their "community of interests" driven by the military metaphysic, which has transformed the economy into a "permanent war economy."
Dwight Eisenhower
’s election as
president
gave a clear image of the entwinement of these bases of power in the military-industrial complex. This book is particularly relevant in consideration of America's post-9/11 "War on Terror."
http://www.newworlde...C._Wright_Mills

Public choice theory also addresses how people in government behave.

I still await any argument favoring a non-overlapping Venn diagram, i.e. regulators regulating something they know little or nothing about. I submit that the best-informed candidates are going to have work experience in the relevant field.

I still await any argument favoring a non-overlapping Venn diagram, i.e. regulators regulating something they know little or nothing about. I submit that the best-informed candidates are going to have work experience in the relevant field.

You mean aside from the more basic question of what should be regulated.... and how...

I submit that as "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press... " you would have to show more than that senators give opinions on television. The editors of the New York Times carry the opinions of Paul Krugman because they know that is what their readers want. If they carried Mark Perry or Peter Klein or Michael Rizzo instead, readership would fall and so would advertising revenue.

I tell this story often: At university in 2010, my professor for multinational enterprises was a Marxist. After a lecture on the evils of extractive industries, he was dismayed at the papers he got back on the good things these MNCs do. My classmates were generally liberal centerists. Only one was a strong advocate of interventionism. But there it is: you cannot open other people's heads and pour ideas into them. Attitude formation is complex. Before that, in 2005, at the community college, coming down a stairwell after a class in sociology, one girl was complaining to another, "America sucks. America sucks. Week after week it's the same stuff..." She was not buiying what the instructor was selling.

As for regulators, whether and to what extent they need to be informed about the objects they regulate is an interesting question. The Civil Service examination is very general. And you get extra points for race, gender, physical handicap, and military service, all of which are independent of the desk you occupy. You would have to show that who serves as assistant secretary of this or that for two or three years makes a difference in the enforcement of regulations or the enactment of policies.

While the Venn Diagrams do lean heavily on the left, I point out also, that Miichael Milken and Martha Stewart were both prosecuted during Republican administrations.

The editors of the New York Times carry the opinions of Paul Krugman because they know that is what their readers want. If they carried Mark Perry or Peter Klein or Michael Rizzo instead, readership would fall and so would advertising revenue.

Really?

The New York Times newspaper just took a big hit, a hit worth $40 million in the year 2011. Although the shift from print to online publishing in journalism no doubt contributed to the loss of millions, it doesn't help that NYT's writers produce work from a Leftist perspective Americans just aren't interested in reading.

The New York Times Company suffered a net loss of almost $40million in 2011, with its fourth quarter profits falling by 12.2 per cent compared to the same period in 2010.

The company is grappling with sinking advertising revenue and a recent change in the top management after losing CEO Janet Robinson, who received a multimillion dollar severance package.