Rick Santorum for President

Peter

I'm being really lazy here in asking so bluntly (I'm not in the mood to traverse the posts in the election related forums) but:

which presidential candidate/ candidates does the Objectivist community sympathize and support most?

(a little brief explanation as to why would also be appreciated :smile: )

Jacob:

Predominantly Dr. Ron Paul would be my best guess.

His positions on:

1) cutting Federal spending to balance the budget and roll back the destructive debt disaster;

2) ending the Federal Reserve;

3) ending the wars and returning the troops to the US;

4) eliminating Federal Agencies and Departments;

5) ending regulations;

6) strict adherence to Constitutional protections of individuals rights;

7) strict enforcement of all Constitutional clauses; and

8) a return to the gold standard;

These are basically the positions that I am aware of. There are others of course.

Adam

Wow: he sounds like the key to a laissez faire America. I hope y'all vote for him! :tongue:

Iv been having a little look at some of the candidate debates and such... Ron Paul definitely seems to be the most competent.

Rick Santorum looks like a fun character though! :laugh:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm being really lazy here in asking so bluntly (I'm not in the mood to traverse the posts in the election related forums) but:

which presidential candidate/ candidates does the Objectivist community sympathize and support most?

(a little brief explanation as to why would also be appreciated :smile: )

Jacob:

Predominantly Dr. Ron Paul would be my best guess.

His positions on:

1) cutting Federal spending to balance the budget and roll back the destructive debt disaster;

2) ending the Federal Reserve;

3) ending the wars and returning the troops to the US;

4) eliminating Federal Agencies and Departments;

5) ending regulations;

6) strict adherence to Constitutional protections of individuals rights;

7) strict enforcement of all Constitutional clauses; and

8) a return to the gold standard;

These are basically the positions that I am aware of. There are others of course.

Adam

Wow: he sounds like the key to a laissez faire America. I hope y'all vote for him! :tongue:

Iv been having a little look at some of the candidate debates and such... Ron Paul definitely seems to be the most competent.

Rick Santorum looks like a fun character though! :laugh:

Dr. Paul has no chance of getting the nomination. However, he can be instrumental in moving the despicable Republican Blue Blood, RINO [Republican In Name Only], country club, effete elitist, crony capitalist swine from getting their financial hands out of the citizens asses and pocket books.

I think Santorum is a decent human being and he is saying the right words in terms of freedom and capitalism. However, his Catholic streak is not one of his more endearing qualities to Objectivists. it plays well with the Reagan democrats, the evangelicals and the citizen heart of the American citizenry which is conservative.

Adam

The supporters of Ron Paul continue to send money to his campaign. They are aware that there is no second choice, no one else has the character, the knowledge, the integrity, the understanding of the founder's vision, and the solutions to the profound problems facing our country.

They are aware that the actual delegates who will go to Tampa will be chosen at certain meetings of the GOP in each state after the primaries and caucuses are done in those states. Only registered Republicans will be able to run to become a delegate at those meetings and only registered Republicans will be allowed to vote and to nominate those to be chosen as delegates.

There is no certainty that enough Ron Paul supporters have taken the trouble to register as Republicans, as I have, or that they will actually show up in sufficient, overwhelming numbers. But they might and if they do and succeed in becoming bound or unbound delegates in spite of the GOP elite or establishment objections and shenanigans the Ron Paul will have a chance to be chosen on the second ballot in Tampa.

Reality will show!

But don't keep repeating that he has no chance of getting the nomination because that is not true!

gulch

The supporters of Ron Paul continue to send money to his campaign. They are aware that there is no second choice, no one else has the character, the knowledge, the integrity, the understanding of the founder's vision, and the solutions to the profound problems facing our country.

They are aware that the actual delegates who will go to Tampa will be chosen at certain meetings of the GOP in each state after the primaries and caucuses are done in those states. Only registered Republicans will be able to run to become a delegate at those meetings and only registered Republicans will be allowed to vote and to nominate those to be chosen as delegates.

There is no certainty that enough Ron Paul supporters have taken the trouble to register as Republicans, as I have, or that they will actually show up in sufficient, overwhelming numbers. But they might and if they do and succeed in becoming bound or unbound delegates in spite of the GOP elite or establishment objections and shenanigans the Ron Paul will have a chance to be chosen on the second ballot in Tampa.

Reality will show!

But don't keep repeating that he has no chance of getting the nomination because that is not true!

gulch

Gulch:

I admire your blind faith, but that is all it is.

Secondly, his campaign is operating close to a deficit as of the end of this month.

So please, let's not manipulate the facts like the other campaigns.

It is better to go the distance honestly.

Adam

Adam,

So now "reason to believe" means "blind faith" according to you.

Reality will show.

gulch

I withdraw the satirical statement.

Adam,

Too late. The damage is done.

gulch

Ok, then I reinstate it.

Adam,

Seriously please take note of the endorsement of Ron Paul by the author of The Black Swan by Nassim Tabel which you can find here:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ron-paul-more-electable-than-mitt-romney-in-latest-poll-2012-03-22

Evidently Professor Taleb will participate in a fund raiser for Ron Paul May 1st in California:

If you google Nassim Taleb Ron Paul you will find many links to articles 234,000 about the two.

Also note the latest recent PPP poll:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ron-paul-more-electable-than-mitt-romney-in-latest-poll-2012-03-22

Regarding your restatement. Amusing. I believe Ayn Rand once commented on repeating negative statements which are untrue as a thing not to do as a matter of policy. I think it had to do with negative comments about Objectivism and that repeating them even to criticize them only helps to spread the untruths.

Now that Santorum has embarked on a mission to collect delegates of his own in his crusade to unseat Mitt Romney I expect that his forces will turn out in droves at the upcoming meetings at which such delegates will be elected to go to Tampa. I am eager to attend the meeting in my district which is going to be on the last Saturday in April. I expect that Ron Paul supporters who are registered Republican will be motivated to overwhelm the meetings as Ron Paul crowds have been growing and outperform those at Santorum or Romney rallies.

gulch

gulch

Gulch:

A word of caution on PPP polls. They are, self admitted, primarily a Democratic polling organization, and, they consistently have played agenda politics with their samples that they poll and the weighting of their statistical analysis.

http://www.publicpol...e_US_032212.pdf <<<<here you have the seventeen (17) pages of cross tabs which are basically the internals of the 900 "registered" voters. They do use the automated telephone polling methodology which has more advantages than disadvantages in terms of getting the more "honest" answers to the questions.

There is no information that I could find in the cross tabs as to whether these "registered" voters were "prime voters" [voters who always vote in all elections, including primaries where held].

Nor, could I find out whether they included cell phones in their sample which could indicate another severe bias in sampling. I may have missed the statement on cell phones in my cursory reading of these seventeen (17) pages, or, perhaps, it is on their home page. Just did not have the time to inquire today.

On page three (3) of the cross tabs, we will find the important information as to the internal sampling weights, e.g., the following two (2) questions indicate a slight bias in female respondents and a more serious bias in self identified Democrats by four (4) percent. This last weighting is significant in this particular election.

My conclusion is that this sampling bias favors the Democratic President O'bama. However, it may indicate a better performance for your man, Dr. Paul, so you should be buoyed by the results.

Q13 If you are a woman, press 1. If a man, press 2.

Woman ........................................................... 51%

Man................................................................. 49%

Q14 If you are a Democrat, press 1. If a Republican,

press 2. If you are an independent or identify

with another party, press 3.

Democrat ........................................................ 41%

Republican...................................................... 37%

Independent/Other.......................................... 22%

The following was extremely interesting to me, as a political analyst. The following appears on page one (1) of the cross tabs, third (3rd) paragraph from the bottom of the page:

Democrats are, at this point, more united than the GOP is, and Libertarian Gary Johnson’s candidacy

is earning 7% of the vote, helping Obama to a wider 46-39 edge over Romney in a three-way battle.

Johnson does not weaken the president at all with Democrats, but pulls Romney from 78% to 71% of

his party.

This is extremely interesting and depending on where that seven percent (7%) is distributed, could push the election to O'bama.

Adam

It would be really nice if Mr. Etch a Sketch took this path in his media effort and stopped savaging his fellow candidates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DApjHZq9o7M&feature=player_embedded

This is an intriguing video...it starts with a haunting subliminal effect of Crows who are viewed as a bad omen, often foretelling death.

"If you see a crow flapping its wings, beware: A big accident is about to happen.

In Irish mythology, crows are associated with Morrigan, the goddess of war and death.[30]

In Greece, the crow was an unlucky sign.

Mixed image attack on O'biwan is quite sharp. Includes a quick shot of a consumer at a gas station with a gas nozzle pointing to his head like a gun!

Adam

This is why I respect Rick Santorum...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57404222-503544/santorum-romney-worst-republican-to-face-obama/

Watch the video as he confronts the NY Times reporter. You do not teleprompter this type of clarity.

Adam

Watch his eyes during the "confrontation"