GOP delays caucus count from Ron Paul Maine stronghold!

GALTGULCH8

You know that there are two (2) styles of risotto, right? There is the yellow saffron type which is my family's favorite and the "white" more moist style which is served on most restaurant menus. But I love both.

Actually I did not know that. I've only ever been exposed to the white type of risotto, unfortunately! Thanks for the information.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Saffron-Risotto-238643

238643.jpg

(photo by: Ann Stratton)

We will add crumbled beef, or chicken, or other meat. Even tofu and place it in a baking pan and serve it as a casserole...yummy!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam,

Santorum voted five times to increase the debt limit. He is a statist. He said that his brand of conservatism enables the government to enter your bedroom. He opposes the libertarian view of government.

Romney is a chameleon who changes his position to accommodate his audience and is a statist to boot. He has no idea what the Constitution is about.

Gingrich is unprincipled, if he cannot keep his word to his marriage contract what makes anyone think he will abide by his oath of office?

Only Ron Paul will keep his word, keep his oath of office to uphold the Constitution, restore limited government, abolish the income tax, the IRS and other unconstitutional agencies, cut the budget, restore sound money, abolish the Fed, bring home enough of the troops to save a trillion dollars a year, not go to war unless the Congress declares war.

Ron Paul versus Obama would be a contrast in philosophy of government.

gulch

Gulch:

"He said that his brand of conservatism enables the government to enter your bedroom." <<<This is you prevaricating. Give me an exact quote that states that he said that specifically.

I know about his record.

I know about Gingrich.

I could not be any clearer about Romney.

So, tell me why you support Dr. Paul who advocates the state entering a woman's womb again and why you fail to mention that fact which I have mentioned to you consistently?

Adam

Gulch:

"He said that his brand of conservatism enables the government to enter your bedroom." <<<This is you prevaricating. Give me an exact quote that states that he said that specifically.

Listen to all of Santorum's quotes on libertarianism, on his interpretation of the Founding Fathers, and also Santorum's statements about contraception (see here: http://reason.com/blog/2012/02/15/president-santorum-would-talk-about-the )

Santorum is a virulent anti-libertarian and a fascistic monster. He's also against online gambling.

Adam, given your personal tastes in intimacy, the LAST thing you should want is President Santorum!

So, tell me why you support Dr. Paul who advocates the state entering a woman's womb again and why you fail to mention that fact which I have mentioned to you consistently?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, however Dr. Paul is a clear case of "least worst" out of the remaining candidates. He's good on economics, good on foreign policy, mixed on social issues (good on drugs and PATRIOT act/executive overreach/due process, bad on immigration and abortion, bad on same-sex-marriage, but on those last two issues his committment to federalism (assuming its sincere) may mitigate the worst).

Gulch:

Listen to all of Santorum's quotes on libertarianism, on his interpretation of the Founding Fathers, and also Santorum's statements about contraception (see here: http://reason.com/bl...-talk-about-the )

Santorum is a virulent anti-libertarian and a fascistic monster. He's also against online gambling.

Adam, given your personal tastes in intimacy, the LAST thing you should want is President Santorum!

I can't speak for anyone but myself, however Dr. Paul is a clear case of "least worst" out of the remaining candidates. He's good on economics, good on foreign policy, mixed on social issues (good on drugs and PATRIOT act/executive overreach/due process, bad on immigration and abortion, bad on same-sex-marriage, but on those last two issues his committment to federalism (assuming its sincere) may mitigate the worst).

Andrew:

Understand that I am speaking from my practical political voice in the year 2012 in the US.

When someone like Gulch prevaricates about candidate's actual statement, I am going to call him on it.

If Santorum were to become President, the last item I am going to worry about is his personal stance on contraception.

The social issues cheap shot by Gulch who preaches the economic issues, the debt, the fed, etc. is extremely weak and a pure fear appeal and frankly, not worthy of discussion.

I agree with you that Dr. Paul is clearly the most libertarian, decentralist, Constitutionalist candidate in the race. He and I even agree on the abortion issue. I have reservations about his foreign policy positions, but not as many as before.

However, he does not have a chance to win the nomination, unless there is a hung convention. That is possible and frankly getting more probable by the week.

If it were a hung convention, he would have to be ready to make deals. Significant deals. I do not think he 1) wants to make deals and 2) if he did, it would co-opt him.

Therefore, Andrew, don't assume that I do not see the reality of the pitiful choices that we have before us this cycle.

My position is anyone but Romney. If Romney, anyone but O'biwan. I have to say though, I will be hard pressed not to go to minor parties if it is Romney.

Adam

Therefore, Andrew, don't assume that I do not see the reality of the pitiful choices that we have before us this cycle.

I apologize if I came off as patronizing; I did not intend that.

My position is anyone but Romney. If Romney, anyone but O'biwan.

I understand your position. But the problem is that Santorum is, philosophically and practical-policy-wise, worse than Romney from a libertarian perspective (I'd even go as far as to say Santorum would be, on balance, as bad as Obama (potentially better in some areas but definetly worse in others)). This isn't to say Romney is even remotely good, of course.

Also, if your end goal is to kick Obama out, then Santorum is less electable than Romney.

I have to say though, I will be hard pressed not to go to minor parties if it is Romney.

I understand your position.

You're right that it is highly unlikely that Paul will win the nomination.

Also, if your end goal is to kick Obama out, then Santorum is less electable than Romney.

Andrew:

Lol. It's a political discussion...no apology is warranted. If my skin was that thin, I would be a left winger.

As to electability, that is not at all clear. He would galvanize the conservative/evangelical/home school base. O'biwan's base voting is very suspect this time. Additionally, he will pull the rust belt Reagan democratic blue collar base. Ohio, Pennsylvania more into the Republican column cleanly. Michigan moves into it also. The south solid, including the edge, or border states of N.C., Virginia, W. Virginia, Tenn. Kentucky. The mid far west will be the only battleground along with N.H., N.J. and a few other states.

He may actually be a much stronger candidate than you think. Additionally, he comes across as comfortable in his belief system, so even if you do not agree with him, you respect him. His family story is stunning.

For this election, do not underestimate the power of a sincere, humble man with a great family. This country is crying for some sincerity, truthfulness and humility in a candidate.

Dr. Paul also has these qualities. If somehow a Santorum-Paul ticket could be welded together, I think it might be unbeatable.

It would be Republican 305 to Democratic 233.

Of course that would require a very high temperature welding machine!

Adam

Andrew:

Lol. It's a political discussion...no apology is warranted. If my skin was that thin, I would be a left winger.

Come on Adam, you know us left wingers are no touchier than you heartless greedy Grinders of the Faces of the Poor.

Or maybe you were thinking of Alex Frolov.

Come on Adam, you know us left wingers are no touchier than you heartless greedy Grinders of the Faces of the Poor.

Or maybe you were thinking of Alex Frolov.

Nothing but sexual references and hockey references! Nice touch. That image of "grinding" was a little lower on the body politic when I was growing up!

However, he does not have a chance to win the nomination, unless there is a hung convention. That is possible and frankly getting more probable by the week.

If it were a hung convention, he would have to be ready to make deals. Significant deals. I do not think he 1) wants to make deals and 2) if he did, it would co-opt him.

Now here is some promising news:

Sarah Palin believes the wild GOP nominating race could be headed to a
brokered
convention — and she wouldn’t rule out throwing her name in the ring.
Palin noted a lack of “enthusiasm” for any one Republican candidate and suggested that when the party bosses meet in Tampa in late August, the GOP may not yet have settled on a nominee.
“I think that months from now, if that is the case, all bets are off as to who it will be,” Palin told FOX Business Network.

Oh please...make my day!

I would even reduce my consulting fees to work her campaign in any state she needed me in.

Adam

For this election, do not underestimate the power of a sincere, humble man with a great family. This country is crying for some sincerity, truthfulness and humility in a candidate.

America's unfortunate tendency to elect Presidents on the basis of a photogenic, positive image of Warm And Fuzzy Things is precisely what gets people like Obama elected. Judging candidates not on political program or philosophy but rather how much they remind one of Norman Rockwell paintings is a recipie for disaster.

Dr. Paul also has these qualities. If somehow a Santorum-Paul ticket could be welded together, I think it might be unbeatable.

Of course that would require a very high temperature welding machine!

Given Santorum's previous statements about libertarian ideology, given his political philosophy, it simply could not happen without immense hypocrisy on the part of at least one of them.

If Paul teamed up with Santorum, that would be a monumental, intolerable, irreperable betrayal.

No, I know you aren't endorsing it. I'm simply ranting. It's good venting.

• 3 months later...

ELECTION 2012

GOP delegates sue to be free from Romney

123 Republicans and counting want to be 'unbound' at national convention
                    Published: 1 hour ago        
Drew-Zahn_avatar.jpgby Drew Zahn Email | Archive    
Drew Zahn is a former pastor who cut his editing teeth as a member of the award-winning staff of Leadership, Christianity Today's professional journal for church leaders. He is the editor of seven books, including Movie-Based Illustrations for Preaching & Teaching, which sparked his ongoing love affair with film and his weekly WND column, "Popcorn and a (world)view."    

romney_vvs_ap_605-340x184.jpg
Over 120 delegates to the Republican National Convention have joined a lawsuit against the GOP arguing they have been illegally coerced into choosing Mitt Romney for the party’s presidential nominee and demanding they be “unbound” to vote for another candidate instead.
The federal lawsuit, filed this week in U.S. District Court in California, demands the delegates be freed to “vote their conscience” for presidential nominee at the party’s August national convention in Tampa, Fla., rather than being “bound” to vote for a certain candidate, as many state party bylaws require, based on the primary elections and other delegate selection procedures.

Courthouse News Service reports at least another 40 additional national convention delegates have asked to join the lawsuit.

The delegates claim the party violated federal law by forcing them to sign loyalty affidavits, under threat of perjury, to vote for Mitt Romney, though he is not yet the official nominee.

“They don’t want to be bound to any candidate, or even be forced to vote for the nominee,” Richard Gilbert, of Gilbert & Marlowe, attorney for the delegates, told Courthouse News. “To have a real convention, the delegates must have free will so that when they meet, they can persuade each other and then decide who to vote for.”

The courts have typically allowed political parties leeway in the nomination of their candidates, but this case asks the court to consider the choice of presidential nominee a “federal election,” subject to laws that would free delegates from party procedures to vote their conscience.
Beyond merely asserting delegates’ “right” to vote their conscience, however, the lawsuit asserts the GOP has engaged in a racketeering-like scheme to push Romney as the candidate.

“The Republican National Committee and its chairman have been aiding the Governor Romney campaign for at least six months,” the lawsuit asserts. “The RNC and its chairman, defendant Reince Priebus, have … combined with a particular candidate with all of the aid the RNC can possibly, but improperly give … to obstruct, intimidate and harass delegates from voting their conscience.”

Specifically, the lawsuit charges Republican officials and operatives have used threats of violence, certified unlawful slates of delegates, demanded affidavits of loyalty to Romney under penalty of perjury and have even altered ballot results to make sure the national convention is stacked with delegates who will vote for Romney.

“Some campaigns act like organized crime syndicates – and I mean organized crime, no doubt about it,” Gilbert told Courthouse News. “In Arizona, the voting machines were rigged so that Ron Paul votes were counted as Mitt Romney votes. It was so intentional that a Romney delegate refused to certify the vote count, and for that he got thrown off the convention.”

The plaintiffs are asking the court to order the RNC to inform delegates they can vote for the nominee of their choice, to reinstate delegates who lost their seats at the convention because they refused to sign loyalty affidavits and to recount ballots by hand or hold another convention in areas “where the sanctity of the ballots are untrustworthy.”

Yet striking down party rules that bind candidates to vote in accordance with the primary process could suddenly open up the nomination to another campaign season, as presidential hopefuls could attempt to sway the elected delegates to their side, a potentiality Gilbert recognizes.

“If the judge rules in our favor, I won’t be surprised if three or four new candidates, say Sarah Palin, jump in and say they want to be considered,” Gilbert told Courthouse News. “It will be the most interesting national convention in my lifetime if the judge rules for us on this.”

A video created by allies of the lawsuit explaining its basics can be seen below:

Some sources report that Gilbert & Marlowe represent presidential hopeful Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, but the attorney’s office would not confirm with WND whether it has represented Paul previously nor whether the congressman has any connection to the current lawsuit.