Caged Animals: Civilization and Human Nature

studiodekadent

You obviously don't think it's that big of a risk, though. Consider if it was, and you did end up blind and wanted a book recorded... and got turned down. What were you depending on?

I'm also assuming you really don't mind performing the task that much, but consider if you did.

The reality of your situation is that it's such a small risk and a small chore (small, as in, you find some joy in it) that you haven't really put any thought into what it would be like if it didn't turn out the way you hoped (not that you'd hope to go blind).

The fact that you would not be ashamed to ask for the service if you ever needed it doesn't really help if you did get turned down, though. Actually, it makes it worse. If you asked for charity, and didn't get it, oh well, but if you ask for what you're owed (though, not contractually, in any sense) and don't get it...

I don't really believe you are a trading man in this scenario. I think you're being charitable, but also doing something you somewhat enjoy. I don't think a business man would do favors based on an informal, unspoken kind of insurance. Are you depending on those you do the favor for? Well, you depend on their gratitude, I'm sure. And in this particular case I'd bet that's enough repayment for you.

You obviously don't think it's that big of a risk, though. Consider if it was, and you did end up blind and wanted a book recorded... and got turned down. What were you depending on?

I hope for and expect a modicum of decency from others. Depend? I suppose. So far it has worked out. The organization I do volunteer work for will extend its services to me if I should ever need them. I have no doubt about that.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The lesson of self-sacrifice is a lesson of self-importance. Irrationality is rooted in the idea that you are not important, and yet you keep living.

We get a blatant contradiction from our parents: "You are the most important thing in the world to me, but others come first."

The reason it's so dangerous to believe you are not important is because it entails that it doesn't matter what you do. - that idea must be the essence of amorality

Everyone looking for something, unable to name what it is they want, is looking for that self-importance they had when they were younger.

How's that?