Two Trivial OL Questions

caroljane

TIA for any answers. The first is for Michael, and let me preface, as you all know I have been here and indeed on the internet for a little over a year. When I came on OL and first read piecemeal the history of Solo and the Demented Diva Down Under, I actually pictured that MSK was physically there, in New Zealand in an office somewhere with Lindsay P, and all the drama. I know that is silly but I didn't then realize how different but real the cyberworld was, and maybe I never really will. So my question is, did you ever meet in person, or talk on the phone even, with him, or was it all just email and online?

Second, very trivial, about Nathaniel B. He has been described as very handsome and charismatic, I picture him as short however, in fact shorter than Barbara B. How tall is the guy?

This last, may be distorted by my synaesthesia. eg WSS is a redhead (brick red actually)who resembles Paul Giammatti) but I know from seeiing his videos he is brown haired and looks a little like William Hurt.

Second, very trivial, about Nathaniel B. He has been described as very handsome and charismatic, I picture him as short however, in fact shorter than Barbara B. How tall is the guy?

He's average height. I'd say 5'10". I've met him a few times.

Carol,

Objectivist Liar and Hater Lindsay Perigo?

Email and online. But lots and lots of email.

I assure you that dude is a much worse gossip than I am, and I am terrible.

:)

As to NB, he's getting up there in years. I've met him a couple of times and his current wife Leigh. I am much closer to Barbara although it has been ages since we have communicated.

I expect our paths will align once again before too long.

Michael

[NB]'s average height.  I'd say 5'10".  I've met him a few times.

I'd say 5'10", too -- eleven years ago, last time I saw him in person. He was just about the same height as Larry, who's 5'10", but NB was going in the shrinking direction and might be shorter now. Barbara is definitely shorter than she was in NBI days, and when I saw Nathaniel (only three times) back then, he seemed taller than he seems to me today. I don't know if it was the commanding posture or if he really was taller then.

Ellen

Folks:

I used to be amused at NBI lectures to see Nathaniel behind the dais with what I called the "haughty" look.

Chin up and to the right, elevated and above it all, with that sub rosa smile/smirk.

Similar to the Obiwan look when he thinks that he is God.

I topped out at 6'3/4" and now it seems I'm only 6'1".

--Brant

but extremely good looking (take my word for it) :huh:

I'll take your word.

My earliest crushes were all on shortish French Canadians and exotic types, but they were not regularly returned, The ones who crushed on me seemed to be tall Brits (my English fiance was 6'5) and my husband was 6'1'.. Obviously Brandens sexual magnetism was a component of his success with Rand and with NBI. Still, he wasn;t Galt was he.

I topped out at 6'3/4" and now it seems I'm only 6'1".

--Brant

but extremely good looking (take my word for it) :huh:

I'll take your word.

My earliest crushes were all on shortish French Canadians and exotic types, but they were not regularly returned, The ones who crushed on me seemed to be tall Brits (my English fiance was 6'5) and my husband was 6'1'.. Obviously Brandens sexual magnetism was a component of his success with Rand and with NBI. Still, he wasn;t Galt was he.

Wait a minute. I'm the looker! For young man handsome physiognomy, I'd give Branden an 8 out of 10.

Apparently Rand thought he was Galt--"with a few flaws."

--Brant

Me?--7.5 gone to--never mind!

He's average height. I'd say 5'10". I've met him a few times.

He was beautiful and I imagine irresistible.

I liked Day of Judgement much better than BB's. The description of the first time he met Rand, entering her living room is excellent. His eye for aesthetic detail and his disappointment was the same as I would have had from someone who writes of aesthetics as well as Rand. Heller's (I think) last descriptions of Rand when she was old and the apartment was dusty, but you could just see how it had been from former descriptions. I don't know. Sad.

But no sadder than Nietzsche at his end. there are some moments in Branden's account which are perceptively wonderful. There were no moments for me in BB's. I read it when it came out and was rather contemptuous of it then. I have checked it since but not greatly as it makes me uncomfortable to read having admired her so excessively when I was young and to have read her here and at solo over the years to see that her thinking has not changed enough for me to even notice a change. All that has happened. Is she made of teflon. I guess this is what happens when you put someone on a pedestal and I certainly did.

I have seen Nathaniel Branden in person and talked to him numerous times. I would guess that he is roughly about ten feet tall.

Yeah, but he can't dunk, or go left!