Diana Mertz Hsieh Meets The Wall of Hypocrisy

So, are hash browns still immoral, or not?

Honestly, I don't have a clue. The entire industry of Modern Paleo is riddled with hooey. It is as dire as any Magic Perfect Diet peddled anywhere. As Diana (wrongly) points out, nutrition sciences are in their infancy. While this child-science soils its pants and wobbles on its pins (according to Diana), the newborn Paleo congregation get to construct an entirely fresh Cult of Food Fancies ... outside the purview of what is actually known. I find it sad that she is struggling to make a body of law, the Rules of the Gut, on such specious flummery.

One potato, two potato, three potato, four ...

Well, under the general theory that beer has not yet been deemed immoral (imagine our Paleo ancestors half in the bag on their various grogs, and one appreciates our present life a tad more), and because I have worked 12+ hours today, I am going to leave work and have a pint.

No hash browns, however...

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was truly unkind, I would call the Paleo extremists the Food Salafis ... all would be perfect if we just did what we did in The Old Days.

Enjoy that beer, Trog.

trog-pepsi.jpg

Edited by william.scherk

So, are hash browns still immoral, or not?

Honestly, I don't have a clue. The entire industry of Modern Paleo is riddled with hooey. It is as dire as any Magic Perfect Diet peddled anywhere. As Diana (wrongly) points out, nutrition sciences are in their infancy. While this child-science soils its pants and wobbles on its pins (according to Diana), the newborn Paleo congregation get to construct an entirely fresh Cult of Food Fancies ... outside the purview of what is actually known. I find it sad that she is struggling to make a body of law, the Rules of the Gut, on such specious flummery.

One potato, two potato, three potato, four ...

Like most Magic Perfect Diet kooks, Hsieh gives me the impression of panic and the need to believe. Fantasy meeting reality, not liking it, rejecting it, and digging in deeper. Fear. Somatoform disorder.

J

Instead of copying the caveman and eating what the caveman ate, look at what modern man eats. That is how to know what to eat. The caveman ate to survive. Modern man eats for pleasure. What matters is not nutritional or health merits and demerits but taste. Only taste, nothing else. Anyone who thinks otherwise is anti-pleasure and anti-technology and anti-life and anti-reason.

Instead of copying the caveman and eating what the caveman ate, look at what modern man eats. That is how to know what to eat. The caveman ate to survive. Modern man eats for pleasure. What matters is not nutritional or health merits and demerits but taste. Only taste, nothing else. Anyone who thinks otherwise is anti-pleasure and anti-technology and anti-life and anti-reason.

This post is warmed-over, waiter. Not much flavour. Take it back, please.

In a devastating blow, leading Objectivist thinker Dog the Booty Hunter Bandler has issued a statement that Diana Mertz Hsieh is a Leftist Hippie Objectivist Fool,

I fear that this one will break her.

Fortified by her Caveman Diet and her leagues of radio-podcast subscribers, she will resist. She will not fall!

The guy Droug is one of the best things to happen to SOLO in a long time. Hates women, hates blacks, hates Hispanics, hates dissent, wants to deport (from the USA) any and all Mooslims, derides Objectivists large and small, would like to use bombs against civilians not on his 'keep' list ... a perfect reduction of all that is foul and extreme and beyond reason.

Another fun feature of SOLO is the endless fooferaw over Christianity, Evolution, Gawd. Really tickles the fancy of folks whose lives are potentially ruled by reason.

Not.

And the audience dwindles ...

In a devastating blow, leading Objectivist thinker Dog the Booty Hunter Bandler has issued a statement that Diana Mertz Hsieh is a Leftist Hippie Objectivist Fool,

Fortified by her Caveman Diet and her leagues of radio-podcast subscribers, she will resist. She will not fall!

The guy Droug is one of the best things to happen to SOLO in a long time. Hates women, hates blacks, hates Hispanics, hates dissent, wants to deport (from the USA) any and all Mooslims, derides Objectivists large and small, would like to use bombs against civilians not on his 'keep' list ... a perfect reduction of all that is foul and extreme and beyond reason.

Really, we should feel some pity for the poor terrified creature. Just because he is paranoid does not mean nobody is out to get him. He knows, for sure, that every single female on earth wants to destroy him because he is male, that every single Muslim wants to destroy him because he is non=Muslim, and of course that every single non Objectivist wants to destroy him because he loves liberty. That leaves the remainder of the Earth's population, which wants to destroy him because he is such an unbelievable jerk

The guy Droug .... wants to deport (from the USA) any and all Mooslims....

Does he even live in the USA?

Fortified by her Caveman Diet...

Did cavemen eat inoculated and carefully selected genetic lines of Yorkshire, Hampshire and Landrace pork, or did they hunt wild boars?

J

The Jewish cavemen hunted the wild boars and the Objectivist hippie fool cavemen et the pork.

Another fun feature of SOLO is the endless fooferaw over Christianity, Evolution, Gawd. Really tickles the fancy of folks whose lives are potentially ruled by reason.

Not.

All our joking aside Bill, and I hope our joking never dies, the nature of Solo is of interest to me, and you have known it longer than I have, I would be interested to hear any of your thoughts on how it has changed since you have known it, serious question. I only know one thing on this general topic, naturally OL has improved slightly since I have joined it.
Oblige me please with your comments.

Fortified by her Caveman Diet...

Did cavemen eat inoculated and carefully selected genetic lines of Yorkshire, Hampshire and Landrace pork, or did they hunt wild boars?

Good question. If I had another lifetime ahead of me, I might dig deeper into the morass of Magic Perfect Diet 'findings' and 'theories' -- but I am scheduled to die in the next forty years ...

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a Venn Diagram. One circle would be what Dr Mrs Doctor thinks of as "Standard American Diet" which would contain excessive 'bad' fat, lots of processed items (milled, fortified, yadda) and the all-important 'bad/evil' grains, legumes and potatoes, as well as rice.

The second cericle would contain a 'balanced' diet without excessive salt, sugar, fat ... and a high percentage of fresh vegetables and fruit.

The third circle would be Magic Perfect Cavemen Food.

Now, where the three overlap is what torments Dr Mrs Doctor. Not me. We are rat-like omnivores who can and will eat anything at all ... from insects and worms and crawly things to pressed wheatgrass and turnips.

Not.

All our joking aside Bill, and I hope our joking never dies, the nature of Solo is of interest to me, and you have known it longer than I have, I would be interested to hear any of your thoughts on how it has changed since you have known it, serious question.

This would need a month's worth of thought and research to do it justice, but maybe I can reduce it to a few observations of the defects built-in to SOLO. I believe the defects built-in doomed it from the beginning.

In the beginning was a SOLO (known now as Rebirth of Reason) with a dual-monarchy. This split up, as Perigo and the other monarch decided to divorce and de-couple the Kingdom.

Perigo got to keep the name.

At the new SOLO, it began as a redoubt of the Lindsay-lovers who were as outraged as he was at his maltreatment by the monarch of the old SOLO. (to do this justice, you would have to understand the reasons for the split: in a nutshell, the irrational, hateful conduct of Perigo toward dissent -- rage and stupidity and loyalty demands)

So, the new SOLO was handicapped from the beginning by being reactionary -- in opposition to its 'enemies' (who were many). Most of the folks who enjoyed the out-of-control Perigo and his hateful conduct went over en masse. Some of that hardcore remains.

Then began the alliances and the purges (sometimes at the same time). Diana Hsieh became a regular poster. James Valliant moved into the guest house.

The problem from the beginning was 'ticking off' the Perigo. Dissent was a personal thing to him, dissenting from his views and positions was betrayal.

So, just think and populate in your mind all the folks who might have and did disagree with Perigo large and small (and add it ecumenical folks like MEM and me and many many others). Make a list of them as active on SOLO, make the list long, populate it with some or many of the folks you know here; from Robert Campbell to Janet, from Michael Stuart Kelly to Stephen Boydstun, from Ted Keer to Phil Coates, from Ellen Stuttle to Kat and Michael themselves. Times that by twenty.

Of that list, almost all are now gone. Dissent was quashed by torrents of personal abuse, by denunciations, by banning and by shaming. Folks also dropped out and left without giving reason.

That is about it. Instead of actually accepting dissent, Perigo stifled it.

Now it is a rump, like a party with no seats in Parliament and a drunken autocratic maniac as leader, with dwindling coffers and no strategic plan.

It would be sad if it weren't so damnably predictible. It would be funny if it were not so tragic (in the sense of promise destroyed by hubris).

And Doug Bandlier is the sour cherry on top of the rancid mess of loons and nutters who are left (except for the very few ecumenicals like Fred Seddon).

Edited by william.scherk

WSS,

Thanks for the reply.

Sometimes I forget why I love you, but writing like this reminds me.

Why do you sometimes forget such things?

WSS himself managed to forget one of the more interesting cats on SOLO, i.e., an old codger who writes only in verse, and seems to have been one of the starring extras in Deliverance. Now I have forgotten his name...

That guy truly reminds us all that variety is the spice of life.