• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carol

Spice Girl

"Old Spice"?

J

"If you want to be my lover, you'll have to change my depends..."

Durn it, it won't embed when you specify the timing for the clip to start at.

The third circle would be Magic Perfect Cavemen Food.

Now, where the three overlap is what torments Dr Mrs Doctor. Not me. We are rat-like omnivores who can and will eat anything at all ... from insects and worms and crawly things to pressed wheatgrass and turnips.

Speaking of omnivores who will eat anything, which do you think is more likely: that paleolithic man regularly ate pan-seared mammoth and venison with shallots, or that the bulk of his daily diet consisted of bugs, mice, newts and minnows?

Perhaps calling it the Magic Perfect Pretend Caveman Diet would be more accurate.

It would be sad if it weren't so damnably predictible. It would be funny if it were not so tragic (in the sense of promise destroyed by hubris).

No, it's funny.

J

The third circle would be Magic Perfect Cavemen Food.

Now, where the three overlap is what torments Dr Mrs Doctor. Not me. We are rat-like omnivores who can and will eat anything at all ... from insects and worms and crawly things to pressed wheatgrass and turnips.

Speaking of omnivores who will eat anything, which do you think is more likely: that paleolithic man regularly ate pan-seared mammoth and venison with shallots, or that the bulk of his daily diet consisted of bugs, mice, newts and minnows

I'd sooner eat a newt or a minnow than a turnip.

Carol

Spice Girl

"Old Spice"?

J

"If you want to be my lover, you'll have to change my depends..."

Durn it, it won't embed when you specify the timing for the clip to start at.

In case this is a subtle signal from the Tardis, if you want to be mine you'll have to change your politics,

I would too. I hate turnips. I once swallowed a minnow whole on a dare during a drunken fishing trip. It wasn't bad at all. Much better than a turnip.

J

I guaran-damn-tee that our paleo ancestors didn't use a "sous vide" either.

I hear the Cave Man diet is a good way to lose 10 pounds, however.

Me, I just go work in a rock quarry for the summer when I need to shed a few.

I would too. I hate turnips. I once swallowed a minnow whole on a dare during a drunken fishing trip. It wasn't bad at all. Much better than a turnip.

J

I guaran-damn-tee that our paleo ancestors didn't use a "sous vide" either.

I hear the Cave Man diet is a good way to lose 10 pounds, however.

Me, I just go work in a rock quarry for the summer when I need to shed a few.

Lose weight, ha. You just go there to meet women, but we won't tell your wife.

PDS, thanks for the reminder of Poetry Man. I cannot remember his name either. I am a secret connoisseur of SOLO, of course, and am sometimes tempted to jump in there. But life is short.

I actually made up a Venn at this excellent site -- http://creately.com/Draw-Venn-Diagrams-Online -- but doing so froze up the old laptop.

I agree with a very short criticism of Magic Perfect Pretend Caveman Diet I read at a skeptic site. It was so dang reasonable ... aside from a-historical nonsense/principles, the critique noted that the rough contours of a Paleo diet are not harmful.

For me, it is the faddism and cultishness that is funny/sad/typical.

Re: the vileness of turnips, you guys are forgetting PARSNIPS, no? I eat turnips Lebanese-style: they are soaked in a beetroot brine and garnish those platters of Sharwarma that surely tempt Dr Mrs Doctor.

I eat turnips Lebanese-style: they are soaked in a beetroot brine and garnish those platters of Sharwarma that surely tempt Dr Mrs Doctor.

I suppose she could come up with a caveman shawarma recipe. Substitute minced newts and mice for the chicken or lamb, wild cabbage leaves for the pita, and squeezed caterpillar guts for the garlic yogurt sauce? Yum.

J

I eat turnips Lebanese-style: they are soaked in a beetroot brine and garnish those platters of Sharwarma that surely tempt Dr Mrs Doctor.

I suppose she could come up with a caveman shawarma recipe. Substitute minced newts and mice for the chicken or lamb, wild cabbage leaves for the pita, and squeezed caterpillar guts for the garlic yogurt sauce? Yum.

I had had a bone to pick with turnips for many years until I moved to Montreal. Turnips were dense and sour and peaty and seemed like my nana was punishing me. Mixed with parsnips they were torture. I had to eat every foul sulfurous bog-people fork of them.

In Montreal was the first sharwarma for me. and the garnishes were superb. How could that sulfurous turnip ever be made tasty? By administering the detoxifier vinegar and sugar and salt and turning it purple and leaching out all the evil for a month, as a pickle, I learned.

Anyhow, I think turnips are actually on the 'dodgy if not evul' stodgy tuber ledger as wrong hydrocarbons for the Magic Caveman eater. But this is the thing. I noted the Doctoressa's lengthy struggle to define the important principles of the circle of goodness foods, and its built-in madness ... they don't even know the answer to Is Turnip Bad or just Less-than-Optimal?

Sadly, in truth, Doctoressa could eat only parts of my Shawarma platter. Chickpeas are suspect, so no hummus, turnips are out, cracked wheat tabouleh is out -- too gluten-poisoned -- and of course no pita ... this plan is so grim.

Which leaves the wonderful glistening chicken (or lamb or beef) roasted and sliced, all alone on the styrofoam.

OcVc.jpeg

I am actually eating the chicken now, snap.

I will believe you that turnips can be made palatable, although nothing can convince me about squash.

My husband as a Scot loved turnip but he only got it once a year when his mother in law would come for Christmas and cook it for him.

You guys are digging up memories of books read past.

Do you know the turnip scene from Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell? Jeeter Lester and family conspire to steal a sack of them from Jeeter's son-in-law, which doesn't sound like much, but it is absolutely hilarious.

(Throughout the entire book, they also do a Homeric job of trashing a car, little by little, which is a hoot, too. :smile: )

Michael

It would be sad if it weren't so damnably predictible. It would be funny if it were not so tragic (in the sense of promise destroyed by hubris).

No, it's funny.

J

What I should have said: It's too funny to be sad.

I always liked this Stevenson quote that is also attributed to Lincoln...

quote-open.jpg

He said that he felt like the boy that stumped his toe,it hurt too bad to laugh, and he was too big to cry.
quote-close.jpg
Lincoln, Abraham

Source: Attributed to ABRAHAM LINCOLN by John T. Morse, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, vol. 1, p. 149 , referring to Lincolns defeat by Senator Stephen Douglas in the 1858 senatorial campaign in Illinois.Frank Leslies Illustrated Newspaper, November 22, 1862, p. 131, attributed this reply to President Lincoln, when asked how he felt about the result of the New York election [where the Democratic candidate won the governorship]: Somewhat like that boy in Kentucky, who stubbed his toe while running to see his sweetheart. The boy said he was too big to cry, and far too badly hurt to laugh.Adlai Stevenson told this story in his nationally-televised concession speech after the 1952 presidential election: Someone asked me, as I came in, down on the street, how I felt, and I was reminded of a story that a fellow-townsman of ours used to tell Abraham Lincoln. They asked him how he felt once after an unsuccessful election. He said that he was too old to cry, but it hurt too much to laugh.The Papers of Adlai E. Stevenson, ed. Walter Johnson, vol. 4, p. 188 . The speech was delivered at the Leland Hotel, Springfield, Illinois, in the early hours of November 5, 1952. ·

Wonderful quote Adam, thanks. Glad your toe is better and you can laugh again.

The question is whether it is demonic laughter...

bth_JawaEvilLaugh.gif