Rand through a Nietzsche filter

Janet is going nutzo over on SOLOP replying to posts here since she's used up her five today.

Ugh, I just spent a few minutes over yonder, at the SLOP trough, and got a good reminder of why I suggested the right image for this whack job is Medusa from Clash of the Titans. Try making sense of her shit and your head is liable to turn to stone. Along with the rest of you. If only there was some way to harness her power for good. Maybe get her a position in the Obama administration, they’d never get anything done again! To defeat the Kraken, desperate measures must be taken!

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read years ago after Foucault's death that he went to Mexico for sex with boys knowing he had AIDS. Nietzschean?

Brant,

Do you have a source for that?

I started to Google it and see you mentioned it to this same poster in almost the same words back in September of last year on SLOP.

I'm not interested enough in Foucault to devote much time to digging, but if you have a source, I would be interested in looking at the controversy.

Michael

It was over 20 years ago. Maybe 15. Primitive Internet. You can Google him and get all sorts of supportive material, but so far I can't find that again. I'll keep looking, but I won't be buying any bios.

--Brant

Janet is going nutzo over on SOLOP replying to posts here since she's used up her five today.

Brant,

Why use the Garbage Pile here, where I have to take the garbage out, when there is one readily available there where I have to do nothing?

:smile:

Come on...

You knew that was coming, din'cha?

:smile:

Michael

Not really. But I have to agree with your PM. It's actually quite sad.

--Brant

For the reader's benefit, that PM was a very short answer. I said, "I think this lady is nuts for real." (Exact quote.)

With each passing day, that thought gets stronger.

Michael

If that's the truth, should it be spoke or just inferred?

--Brant

I read years ago after Foucault's death that he went to Mexico for sex with boys knowing he had AIDS. Nietzschean?
Do you have a source for that?

I started to Google it and see you mentioned it to this same poster in almost the same words back in September of last year on SLOP.

I'm not interested enough in Foucault to devote much time to digging, but if you have a source, I would be interested in looking at the controversy.

It was over 20 years ago. Maybe 15. Primitive Internet. You can Google him and get all sorts of supportive material, but so far I can't find that again. I'll keep looking, but I won't be buying any bios.

Foucault died in June 1984. AIDS was IDed by the CDC in 1982. It was tied to HIV first in 1983, and the first bathhouse closures were ordered in San Francisco in 1984. The first antibody test came in 1985.

Foucault's death was not attributed to AIDs or complications from AIDS in initial death announcements, but rumours attended his death (emerging from the Gay community and subcommunities). Rumours coalesced around practices assumed to be habitual with Foucault: bath house cruising, unprotected sex.

These rumours were confronted in a biographical terms in a roman faux, and in a biography, 'The Passion of Michel Foucault,' by James Miller.

Of all the rumours, the notion of him deliberately infecting Mexican boys is new to me. I can find no reference to Mexican boys and Foucault except here on OL. The only Mexican boys reference I can dig up is the final denouement in the film Suddenly Last Summer, where the Sebastian character -- who trolled the Mexican beaches for sex with boys -- was cannibalized by those he had used ...

Edited by william.scherk

Ugh, I just spent a few minutes over yonder, at the SLOP trough, and got a good reminder of why I suggested the right image for this whack job is Medusa from Clash of the Titans. Try making sense of her shit and your head is liable to turn to stone. Along with the rest of you. If only there was some way to harness her power for good. Maybe get her a position in the Obama administration, they’d never get anything done again! To defeat the Kraken, desperate measures must be taken!

Ninth Doctor:

As the legal representatives of Medusa, we demand that you cease and desist harassing and slandering her with whack job designations, falsely associating her with a mortal of whom she has never heard, which have caused her dire harm and damage to reputation and loss of income. The federal authorities have been informed. We expect your grovelling apology and full restitution within 24 hours, in the absence of which you will be arrested at 3:00 am of the following night by a full SWAT team and never seen again.

Maurice Gord Snowe LLB, QC

Snowe & Snowe.

Olympus, Mo.

Janet is getting testy. In response to my post, in which I called her "a nut," she replied:

Better not go there. You know how hot the feds are about prosecuting people who harass others on the internet and cause dire harm to them. The feds are not libertarians, hon. Calling people crazy as MSK and now you are doing is getting a tad dangerous for you. You want to be careful about using slanderous terms like that.

I replied, in part:

In case you would like more ammunition for the Feds, I will happily oblige:

You are a nut, a crackpot, a loon, a crank, a cuckoo, a ding-a-ling, a screwball, a dingbat.....

Of course, this is just my Foucauldian Reading..

See: http://www.solopassion.com/node/8924

Ghs

AIDS invaded gay consciousness around 1980. "The gay disease." By 1983 it was generally recognized and associated with promiscuous sex. However, all a non-promiscuous homosexual needed was one contact with another non-promiscuous who had had contact with some one who had hundreds of sexual relations. Some flight attendant was IDed as the primary infector and coming out of Haiti was also mentioned. By 1981 gays were scared shitless. Poppers were suggested as the cause. To this day I wonder if it is a virus or misuse of rec. drugs. There was an anti-viral, AZT I think, that was first used to combat this thing, whatever it was, and it was implicated as a possible instigator of AIDS diseases. Then came the cocktail and people like that basketball player are now living for decades with the damn thing. I wonder if it's the cocktail or if AZT use is less in that cocktail than when it was used in a higher dose solo. The settled "science" is that a virus is the cause of AIDS. Don't bet on it. It may not be or it may even be another one. Someone asked me almost 30 years ago, about a cure for AIDS, assuming a virus. I said, well, there are 40, 50 maybe 250 different viruses that cause the common cold. No "cure" there. I suspect that in 20-30 years there will be no cure for AIDS but that people with AIDS will be living a lot longer. Bulls eye!

--Brant

AIDS invaded gay consciousness around 1980.

Brant, what you say is not true. The name AIDS was first put up publicly in September 1982'

"The gay disease."

The 4-H disease, or GRID, "gay related immune deficiency.

By 1983 it was generally recognized and associated with promiscuous sex. However, all a non-promiscuous homosexual needed was one contact with another non-promiscuous who had had contact with some one who had hundreds of sexual relations. Some flight attendant was IDed as the primary infector and coming out of Haiti was also mentioned.

Brant, you are all over the map with this. Some is wrong, some is out-of-sequence, some is debatable at least. If you cannot be bothered to check your assumptions, why should we give your remembrances the ring of truth?

By 1981 gays were scared shitless. Poppers were suggested as the cause. To this day I wonder if it is a virus or misuse of rec. drugs.

Wondering is fine -- if you cannot or will not read and understand the virology, and if you do not look at the evidence, you can believe what you feel like. The 'misuse of recreational drugs' was put forward by the AIDS denialist Duesberg. His contentions have never recieved a bit of support. No one has been able to demonstrate his muffly theorized epidemiology.

Why oh why do Objectivish folks get so gullibilized on the issue of AIDS?

There was an anti-viral, AZT I think, that was first used to combat this thing, whatever it was, and it was implicated as a possible instigator of AIDS diseases.

It was again the outlier Duesberg who put forward this assertion. It has not borne out in any way ...It was never "implicated" as a cause or instigator of immune deficiency. Duesberg's assertions have been disproved, Brant. AZT retards the infections like PCP and Kaposi's sarcoma that are the hallmark of AIDS infection. AZT saved lives as the very first of the useful protease inhibitors anti-viral agents, preventing development of opportunistic infections

Then came the cocktail and people like that basketball player are now living for decades with the damn thing. I wonder if it's the cocktail or if AZT use is less in that cocktail than when it was used in a higher dose solo.

I think it would help your sense of wonder if you understood the retrovirus a bit more, and if you understood what a protease inhibitor is designed to do. The 'cocktail' today (or rather cocktails) are an attempt to prevent the retrovirus from replicating and overloading the immune system. The problem with this particular virus (and other retroviruses) is that they have no 'corrective' in their replication; they mutate widely and wildly, and become 'resistant.' As with hospital-brooded multiply-resistent strains of pneumococci (and others) and staphylococci (and others), the cocktail is designed to head off replication by closing multiple doors in its complicated machinery.

I do not mean to be rude or abrasive unduly, Brant, but your knowledge banks need tending, brother. You have missed some important information.

The settled "science" is that a virus is the cause of AIDS. Don't bet on it.

You have got to be kidding. Just because you haven't understood AIDS does not mean that other rational inquirers do not. You seem to be throwing over an entire multivalent, multiyear, multicentre approach to understanding AIDS. This is not 'alarmist' variations on the wobble edge of science. Look a little, brother. Don't be satisfied with half-baked notions and wonderment and suspicion. Retroviral theory is necessarily complicated, but it is not beyond us.

I suspect that in 20-30 years there will be no cure for AIDS but that people with AIDS will be living a lot longer.

That is the situation today; AIDS is no longer a death sentence, as it was for Michel Foucault and many of my friends from 1983 onward.

If you like, I can direct you to some resources for understanding AIDS. It will help you discard the woolier of the debunked Duesberg-style errors.

[Edited to correct line about AZT /ht Boydstun]

Edited by william.scherk

Well, I attempted to relate the chronology as I experienced it in real time. At least. The only man I ever knew who died while having AIDS died of a heart attack at 76 three years ago. He did go out and try for sexual congresses with AIDS having known he had AIDS. He really was a dirty old man. As for the cause, prove away--good luck with that. I admit, though, my info is at least 15 yo. About when it disappeared from the popular media.

--Brant

I once knew the owner of a gay bar, Nyack, NY--where my Dad married my Mom, BTW, in 1934--who sold it to Lesbians: "200 of my customers are dead."

If you like, I can direct you to some resources for understanding AIDS. It will help you discard the woolier of the debunked Duesberg-style errors.

As for the cause, prove away--good luck with that.

So, I take this for a large NO to understanding more about AIDS and HIV.

Brant,

My concern is not with that poster, but instead with OL.

Should truth on OL be spoken or just inferred?

Think about it.

I don't mind teasing readers to jazz up a payoff for them, but I don't like teasing readers with BS. So I just blurt it out when a tease like that starts.

Michael

Brant,

My concern is not with that poster, but instead with OL.

Should truth on OL be spoken or just inferred?

Think about it.

I don't mind teasing readers to jazz up a payoff for them, but I don't like teasing readers with BS. So I just blurt it out when a tease like that starts.

Michael

She sure hit SOLP like a blunderbuss. She's really scattered, replying to posts I didn't make as if I did. After seeing that, maybe you should have restricted her to three a day. I couldn't do what you do in running this place even if I had the time. I'm actually less tolerant.

--Brant

As for the cause, prove away--good luck with that.

So, I take this for a large NO to understanding more about AIDS and HIV.

No, but I've no time to proceed.

--Brant

As the legal representatives of Medusa, we demand that you cease and desist harassing and slandering her with whack job designations, falsely associating her with a mortal of whom she has never heard, which have caused her dire harm and damage to reputation and loss of income.

My intent was not to say that Medusa herself was a whack job, merely to liken a certain confirmed whack job to her by reference to Medusa’s defining ability, her “super-power” if you will. I suppose GHS had better go into hiding, being now subject to pursuit by the various societies against defamation of nuts, crackpots, loons, cranks, cuckoos, ding-a-lings, screwballs, and dingbats. Nuts in particular, as nutritionists agree that they are a proper part of a healthy diet.

One correction to your corrections in #212, William: AZT is not a protease inhibitor.

When AZT was mono-therapy, in the late 80's and early 90's, it could extend your life about six months to a year. At least that is the way it seemed with my friends, and with my lover, who died in 1990. At the time of his death, my immune system had become sufficiently low that I began AZT. But I was totally unable to tolerate it. It made happen something horrible, but hard to describe, inside my skull. In the early 90's, I may have gotten some temporary decelerations in my decline on account of some other mono-therapies that were becoming available (at least through clinical trials). At any rate, in around '94-95 my T-cells had been below 200 several months, my doctor had me on inhaled pentamidine against the pneumonia, and I was so awfully sick. Then Epivir was introduced, and for some reason, I was able to tolerate AZT in combination with that, and we raised my T-cell level modestly. It was around a year later that the first protease inhibitors became available, and the combination-therapies with them as a component would save some of us.

One correction to your corrections in #212, William: AZT is not a protease inhibitor.

When AZT was mono-therapy, in the late 80's and early 90's, it could extend your life about six months to a year. At least that is the way it seemed with my friends, and with my lover, who died in 1990. At the time of his death, my immune system had become sufficiently low that I began AZT. But I was totally unable to tolerate it. It made happen something horrible, but hard to describe, inside my skull. In the early 90's, I may have gotten some temporary decelerations in my decline on account of some other mono-therapies that were becoming available (at least through clinical trials). At any rate, in around '94-95 my T-cells had been below 200 several months, my doctor had me on inhaled pentamidine against the pneumonia, and I was so awfully sick. Then Epivir was introduced, and for some reason, I was able to tolerate AZT in combination with that, and we raised my T-cell level modestly. It was around a year later that the first protease inhibitors became available, and the combination-therapies with them as a component would save some of us.

Thanks, Stephen. You are quite right. AZT is a nucleoside analog reverse-transcriptase inhibitor.

I appreciate the correction -- and the experience of someone who has battled both AZT and illness. Glad we had AZT and the combination therapies, and that we still have you to kick around.

It disturbs me that Brant is such a Know-Nothing about HIV/AIDS, or is so resistant to correction, or is just not in the mood to have his knowledge updated. But I am glad we have him to kick around too ...

Thanks, Stephen. You are quite right. AZT is a nucleoside analog reverse-transcriptase inhibitor.

I appreciate the correction -- and the experience of someone who has battled both AZT and illness. Glad we had AZT and the combination therapies, and that we still have you to kick around.

It disturbs me that Brant is such a Know-Nothing about HIV/AIDS, or is so resistant to correction, or is just not in the mood to have his knowledge updated. But I am glad we have him to kick around too ...

Bill, I'm not at risk for HIV. My life is terribly complicated right now and I live under a lot of pressure. I don't have the luxury of investigation. I'm trying to find time to start an interesting thread written off the top of my head, as opposed to research, on another subject.

--Brant

it's time, not mental

one reason I tend to one-liner posts

I just took a look on SLOP and saw Seymourblogger complain that I had not "given" her 5 posts for the day.

Here we go again.

The software program does this automatically. In the program:

1 "day" = 24 hours

In other words, if a poster with this restriction made 5 posts at 11:00 PM on Tuesday, she would not be able to make another until 11:00 PM on Wednesday. She could not make one at 8:00 AM on Wednesday--not even at 10:59 PM on Wednesday.

Twenty-four hours have to pass.

The thing is, it works like clockwork, even when people don't understand it.

Michael

I just took a look on SLOP and saw Seymourblogger complain that I had not "given" her 5 posts for the day.

Here we go again.

1 "day" = 24 hours

In other words, if a poster with this restriction made 5 posts at 11:00 PM on Tuesday, she would not be able to make another until 11:00 PM on Wednesday. She could not make one at 8:00 AM on Wednesday--not even at 10:59 PM on Wednesday.

Michael

Maybe Ms, Xray, Angela could give a tutorial. She had the same difficulty understanding the "24 hour paradigm."

Good fun on Solo just now. I don't mind giving it the hits as I read it at least weekly anyway, and there are some intelligent, articulate posters there. The visits of Ghs, Brant and Xray have greatly increased my enjoyment there this week and I would like to thank them. Sometimes that beat is an awful chore.

I have a question about hits -does it mean just one reading by a particular browser, or the total number of readings irrespective of who reads? If the latter I am going to go back over my own favourite underappreciated deathless prose and read it to death.

Here we go again.

1 "day" = 24 hours

Michael

Maybe Ms, Xray, Angela could give a tutorial. She had the same difficulty understanding the "24 hour paradigm."

"Five posts a day" can be misunderstood as being those of a calendar day. I recall being been listed in the "Today's top posters" section (which OL had back then) with e. g. "3 posts", so I thought I had 2 more, but when I tried to get # 4 through, I got the message "You have already used up your 5 posts"; I thought there must be some glitch in the software, or it that it has to do with the time zone difference. But the 24 hours just run through independent of any calendar day or time zone limits.

The 5th post I recall not being able to edit, for the program closed after posting, so that last post often stood there with all the unweeded typos. :o