sbeaulieu

Ok... one reason.

Judge rejects GOP candidates' request to be added to Virginia ballot

I learn something new every day. Let's hope that Gingrich, Huntsman, Perry and Santorum didn't spend a ton of cash in Virginia. If they did, oops! Assuming they can get back on the ballot, it's going to be an interesting Primary in that state if they don't... Haha!!

~ Shane

Interesting decision.

Gibney said that if the challenge had been filed earlier, he would have ordered the signature requirement be thrown out.

This statement should have carried the day, but the "sore loser" position seems to have prevailed. The you played the game and lost routine is not compelling to me.

If they had filed in August, I could see the Court ruling:

1) that they had no standing;

2) that they had no injury; or

3) that the suit was not "ripe" yet.

The last reason would have held the ruling until they failed to reach the 10,000 signatures and then would have triggered the decision.

I used the "ripeness" issue in a Florida federal removal petition for a client which stunned the local county DA because the Federal Judge ruled that we had a valid argument under HIPAA and the 5th Amendment. He ruled that it was not "ripe" yet, but would be the moment the DA subpoenaed the medical records.

The DA realized that I had him hamstrung and basically went away.

Perry should appeal the decision.

Adam

Well, I watched some of the debate last night, and most of the candidates were up there, minus Huntsman who dropped out. If they aren't on the ballot (presumption at this point), would they still use their time/money to debate for the benefit of other voters outside of SC?

~ Shane

Shane:

I did not see, or hear the debate, but from what I am hearing from Rush is that Mr. Newt, basically hit for the cycle and the home run was a grand slam.

His answer to Ron Williams was perfect and received a standing ovation.

Based on what you saw, was it as good as it sounded?

Adam

I only got to see about 20 mins of it. Most of that was focused on what Romney and Gingrich were speaking about. They seemed to have gotten the lion's share of the questions. I did see at a few points where Romney and Paul were both cheered and heckled. I did listen intently on the "killing" of our enemies, those that are enemies and targeting Americans. Ron Paul got booed on the prospect of capturing Osama vs. putting a bullet in his head. His counter arguement was that we captured Sadam, and he was tried. The same should have happened Osama, in my opinion. While I don't lose sleep over his death, a lot could have been learned from him. However, I strongly agreed with Gingrich's point that it was absurd to swallow Pakistan's assertion they didn't know Osama was a neighbor within a mile of their National Defense Academy. They had some good points, but the conservatives are real keen about putting bullets in people. To do that, they are putting soldiers, not themselves, in harm's way to accomplish that ideology.

~ Shane