Keys to Success

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pants and a tractor!?

How else are we supposed to harvest the potatoes, b'y?

-Bud the Spud

Now that is gay!

> If you have additional comments about the problem of induction, you might wish to revive one of those old threads, say, the one on Harriman. [GHS] I wouldn't want to do what would end up being extensive for two reasons: (1) This certainly isn't the venue I would choose to unveil original work I think important. (2) Even less would I want what would end up as socratic point-counterpoint on such a subject largely with someone who has attacked my honesty or character.

I made a simple suggestion, that's all,

What makes you think I would even be interested in engaging you in a "Socratic point-counterpoint" on induction? As far as I can tell so far, you know zilch about the subject.

Oh, but I may have forgotten about your profoundly original theory. I think it would be best if you never revealed your profoundly original theories, in whatever fields, to anyone at any time -- ever. That way you can retain your pleasant illusion of originality and die with the smug conviction that you were an unappreciated genius.

Ghs

Brant -- How's that go? -- "But enough about me. Let's talk about you."? Our northern songbird Anne Murray put out this primitive video in oops1968 1973 or so. The direst production but less whiny than your pop song, no?

[videos deleted]

One effect of posting on OL is that I end up watching videos that I would otherwise never watch -- never, ever, under any circumstances, except maybe on pain of death.

I feel like I just ate an entire Devil's Food Cake stuffed with fudge.

Was John Denver related to Anne Murray? Just a thought.

Ghs

Pants and a tractor!?

How else are we supposed to harvest the potatoes, b'y?

-Bud the Spud

Now that is gay!

Adam, you want gay Maritimer, it is Ashley MacIsaac, kilted, roaring with talent, sometimes brawling, drunken and irate (and still yet a beautiful, inspiring musician). See also this item from the Cape Breton Post -- they got to talk to his mom!

Gay as a boot and all man, baby, here givin' 'er at the Olympic opener in Vancouver in 2010.

olympics4-copy-300x193.jpg

Carol's reference to Bud the Spud is to Stompin' Tom Connor, another Maritimer who is definitely macho A-one straight, but no less odd than dear Ashley, and certainly not gay.

We love these kinds of people, nevertheless, Adam, our KDs and our Not-A-Lesbian Anne, and Ashley and Tom and on and on. We even love Ginette Reno.

One effect of posting on OL is that I end up watching videos that I would otherwise never watch -- never, ever, under any circumstances, except maybe on pain of death.

George, behind this door, Death. Maybe Elvis and Anne singing Christmas Bells (just like a shot to the head, a guillotine, you are down and over it and done in a snap) or maybe something more awful and compelling, the slow torture of death by Ginette Reno (if she does not kill you, perhaps some Rita McNeil. Now that we know your weak spot. But we want you alive, so do not look. If you must look, do not press play. We need you still.).

Folks:

Your talking to a NY City boy here who ran for Councilman at Large the year of the baths fire. Eighty percent of my petition gathering team was from the gay community in Manhattan.

I remember a benefit at a bar called the Crow's Nest in Astoria that year. As we got to the door, there was a Catholic priest, with collar, from the Brooklyn Arch Diocese taking tickets. I laughed and said, "Father, does the diocese know about you?" He chuckled and explained that he would be leaving the priesthood that year.

The bar was owned by a 6'3" gay marine about 260 pounds with a 1950's flattop haircut. Of course we had the traditional Judy Garland impersonator singing in the back room. Great little bar.

As I was "pressing the flesh," so to speak, I noticed a very attractive blond dancing on the dance floor, so I asked my guides if it would be "improper" to dance with her because she certainly was giving me every indication that it would be fine.

My guides said that she wouldn't mind, but look in the corner. As I did, I saw a glaring large bull dyke who was basically sending me the message that she would kill me if I did! Lol.

Got a lot of signatures that night including that couple.

Adam

George, behind this door, Death. Maybe Elvis and Anne singing Christmas Bells (just like a shot to the head, a guillotine, you are down and over it and done in a snap) or maybe something more awful and compelling, the slow torture of death by Ginette Reno (if she does not kill you, perhaps some Rita McNeil. Now that we know your weak spot. But we want you alive, so do not look).

Earth hath not anything to show more fair!

It's true, George, we love these performers, all of us from all walks of livelihood love them. We don't mind cringing once in a while. My idea of heaven is the National Anthem opening the Stanley Cup sung by the quartet of Measha Bruegergossman, Stompin Tom, KD Lang and of course the late, great Roger Doucet.

It's true, George, we love these performers, all of us from all walks of livelihood love them. We don't mind cringing once in a while. My idea of heaven is the National Anthem opening the Stanley Cup sung by the quartet of Measha Bruegergossman, Stompin Tom, KD Lang and of course the late, great Roger Doucet.

I know George can get over the death throes induced by so much sweetness, Carol, and I don't think he knows we are secretly pitching all these songs of high sucrose quotient to Phil, the newly born Holiday Child. We must keep him alive, even if it temporarily kills George! Here is the final feeding of the night, again in French so Phil can savour it. This is the fabulous Fais-Moi La Tendresse, which seems a nice Coatesian lament, with Ginette accompanied by the large-calibre Marc Hervieux, whose XXL voice butts up against her XXL voice to thrilling returns at the box office (Hervieux is a Huge Voiced singer with Opera de Montreal and other folks).

Fais-moi la tendresse, indeed. Isn't this what the wee boneless lovely needs, more than anything?

George, again, step aside. This is full-on Amour = A No Strings Spared French Canadian Over The Top Schmaltz With Extra Fudge. Your entire circulatory system will explode. Neighbours might be injured. Please do not watch to the climax. WARNING.

Your last chance, George. There is one dubious antidote. It is knowing what is coming at you, so you can clench and resist. So I will let you know what happens.

He, the big opera guy, stalks from the sidelines, takes a huge breath, hunches over and gets to howling in her face, and the she, the extra large lady with another tower-toppling voice of Jericho, howls back in his face in return. Then they begin to touch and make French Canadian Showbiz Love to each other. They both wind each other's schtick up into a crescendo of mutual howling highstrung madness and showbiz magic . It is even more potent than the bowel-liquefying schmaltz of Dion/Reno above. Do not watch the performance, look off to the side at the people looking on, the stupefied audience wrung out like a rag, the cash registers chirping. Let us give this nuclear-enriched sweetness to Phil -- who was neglected as a child -- or he may die on us. It is an emergency, and we need strong medicine.

NB. Carol sez it. We do not mind cringing once in a while, in service of our evul Canadian goals of getting along peaceably and making shitloads of money. WHERE oh where is Joel, who comes from Arabophiliac Cape Breton Jewish stock, and who understands the Canucki madness for the hurt and downtrodden and odd that so baffles some Yank observes. Wait until the final moments of the Holiday Child's life. I will, with Carol's assistance, wheel out the electric Rita McNeil Singing At BC Place. This is schmaltz poised so exquisitely over the edge of awful that you think, like George, that you will surely die choking and suffocated, and then you see that all the other 60,000 people are secretly choked up a bit too, and everyone lives after all.

Rita McNeil was a stomped on and abandoned single mom with cleft-palate and self-esteem issues who put her big and (conventionally) ugly self alongside her songs.

This sounds Democratic Party enough for all OLers to die dead right now, but bear with me for a sec. You see, she was even more bizarrely consocial and demonically altruistic. She wrote a song for a group of singing coal miners (oh, yes, don't think the Maritimers are finished with us yet, oh no) and was put in a large toolshed of a dress with said miners on TV and hundreds of thousands got choked up and talked about it at Dunkin Donuts the next day and a star was born. Seriously. Canadians are crazier than you Americans and you didn't even know it.

Edited by william.scherk

Brant -- How's that go? -- "But enough about me. Let's talk about you."?

Our northern songbird Anne Murray put out this primitive video in oops1968 1973 or so. The direst production but less whiny than your pop song, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MinPKn-lwoo

Here, a live version, with the oddest pair of Raggedy Andy overalls a non-lesbian performer has ever worn. Anne shows off her glorious contralto. If you don't stop kissing each other I will post an Elvis/Anne duet and you will all be stuck fast in sentimental amber.

(She was Elvis's favourite female singer. She is what killed him, her sunniness. She has never even had a vitamin, she is that healthy. Struck him dead on the toilet one day, she did.)

That's a great voice. Note, though, the real difference in the two songs. She sings "about me" but her "about me" is "to you."

--Brant

oh, you already got that

Subject: I LIKE SCHMALTZ . . . AND PROUD OF IT

It's midnight here on the East Coast and my willpower against OL videos is all worn down for the day so I listened to it:

"He, the big opera guy, gets to howling in her face, and she, the extra large lady with the tower-smashing voice of Jericho, howls back in his face. They both wind each other's schtick up into a crescendo of mutual howling. It is more potent than the bowel-liquefying schmaltz of Dion/Reno above."

I love it. Woosjerk, how did you know I'd like this kind of music? I have seldom met a corny, schmaltzy, syrupy, heart-on-its-sleeve piece of music that I -didn't- like.

I really enjoyed this. (Staying French Canadian, you mentioned Celine Dion - I like a number of her songs. Sometimes she's a bit too much, but not always.) By the way, staying with the sentimentality theme, I also like The Carpenters, Neil Diamond, Vikki Carr, Air Supply.

And don't forget Barry Manilow. And, no, I'm not gay, but I like early Barbra Streisand.

This is known to be fatal to all but Canadians, George, instantly, unless by chance you have the rare sport of genetics that can spare you a grim expiration.

This is the 4XL lady singing with the coal miners. It does not get any more psychotic Canucki Maritimer schmaltz than this. If Phil can take this, he can take anything, he would be invincible.

> This is known to be fatal to all but Canadians, George...

Is George your new arbiter of all taste including musical, Woos?

WSS is indeed a very multifaceted, creative thinker.

Let the man speak for himself, I say...

... I think I am becoming demented myself.

:smile:

Michael

Oops. Hmm, now how can I 'rationally' integrate that into my above quote?

I think I've found something: l'll say that this only shows how high the standards are that creative thinkers have established for themselves. :smile:

Bill is even an expert on makeup.

Ghs

Can't see the video (yet). We've got a new PC and the Adobe Flash Player plug-in is not installed. As I clicked to get it installed, a chart showed up where I was sternly asked: "Do you permit that the following program makes alterations on this computer?"

My family members are currently not at home, and computer analphabet that I am, I don't dare to 'permit' anything here. I don't want to be the one who might foul something up. :smile:

Thanks, Michael. I now have the options of Delete and even Edit for all threads in my corner. I also have an Unapprove option. What does that do? Ban someone from the thread, or something less drastic?

How about an experiment?

http://www.objectivi...ndpost&p=152994

I did a dirty deed on your experimental post, but not the one you asked for.

Ghs

The main problem is that there’s no “Edit by” stamp, so people can’t tell that you edited the post. Thus, you can put whatever words into people’s mouths that you want and even delete their subsequent corrections/protests. I assume you can only do it within 24 hours of the original post, is that right? That was why I posted what I did, figuring you’d need a new post to monkey with. Otherwise, oh brother!

OTOH, I’m confident you won’t commit such abuses, being so well informed on what has happened, historically, to those who abuse their power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFWZ925zK0A

ND,

Has anyone mentioned that you are patently a very visual person?

btw, that "old whines in new bottles" did not go unnoticed.

:cool: I tip my beret to you.

Thanks, wow, I like compliments. Actually I think I'm more sound than visually oriented, but on a forum it's a matter of using what's available. In person I'll often mimic movie lines in conversation (I do a pretty mean Yoda, for instance), here I can just post the clip. One other thing, I couldn't decide between "hurling old whines in new bottles" and what I used, which was "flood the site with old whines in new bottles", it's the kind of thing Flaubert might have spent a week on.

The main problem is that there’s no “Edit by” stamp, so people can’t tell that you edited the post. Thus, you can put whatever words into people’s mouths that you want and even delete their subsequent corrections/protests. I assume you can only do it within 24 hours of the original post, is that right? That was why I posted what I did, figuring you’d need a new post to monkey with. Otherwise, oh brother!

Dennis,

You begin to see...

And no, George's superpowers do not come with the 24 hour limit. It's his corner and he rules supreme.

Muahahahahahahahaha...

:)

Michael

You begin to see...

And no, George's superpowers do not come with the 24 hour limit. It's his corner and he rules supreme.

As Iago would say, I like not that! There ought to at least be an edit stamp.

You begin to see...

I believe there is for the editor, but it's optional.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

> The main problem is that there’s no “Edit by” stamp, so people can’t tell that you edited the post.

Okay then, here is what I see happening if I were to post in the corner of certain reprobates who shall go unnamed (not necessarily George's corner) ==>

Phil's statement:

"I believe the Harriman and Joseph and Mill and Whewell account of induction at least partially is correct. Where H. goes wrong is oversimplifying the process and he gets a lot of mileage by over-generalizing from simple examples. On the other hand, the fact that causality underlies induction and the fact that causality can be established in certain cases are only a starting point. Further necessary steps have not been explained: For example, the application of the theory beyond physics is vital and would be of enormous value."

Phil statement "simplified" by reprobate:

"The Harriman account of induction..is correct. He gets a lot of mileage from simple examples. Causality underlies induction and causality can be established with certainty. The application of the theory beyond physics is of enormous value."

(If I recall correctly, this is one form of the style with which Diana Mertz Brickell Hsieh 'edited' or 'paraphrased' or 'essentialized' Chris Sciabarra's private emails several years ago. This is a bit of a caricature to make it obvious. Dropping or shifting context is seldom done this crudely. And she also did context-shifting with several posts of mine. And with David Kelley. And later on her blog with Ed Hudgins. )

I believe there is for the editor, but it's optional.

Indeed. But that doesn’t guard against dirty deeds arising from bad intentions. Someone could create the OL equivalent of the Ron Paul newsletters out of years old posts. BTW, on OO the edit stamp still gets added automatically, and you can’t disable it. On OL you can choose to add it, with the default being no stamp. I think the way it ought to be is, when someone other than the original poster edits something, there’s a stamp saying who and when.

You begin to see... And no, George's superpowers do not come with the 24 hour limit. It's his corner and he rules supreme.
I believe there is for the editor, but it's optional. --Brant

I can't find any edit stamp option. When I added my own comment to Ninth's post, I was prompted to give a reason for the edit, and I said "humor." I assumed this would show up somewhere in the edited post, but it didn't. I then thought that Ninth might receive a notification of my edit, along with the reason, but that doesn't seem to have occurred either.

Ghs

This is known to be fatal to all but Canadians, George, instantly, unless by chance you have the rare sport of genetics that can spare you a grim expiration. This is the 4XL lady singing with the coal miners. It does not get any more psychotic Canucki Maritimer schmaltz than this. If Phil can take this, he can take anything, he would be invincible.

I actually like this. But then I've always been a sucker for sing-alongs with coal miners.

My earlier comment about Anne Murray was a bit misleading. I like some of her music, such as "Snow Bird," but the posted tune did not appeal to me. I listen to my share of schmaltzy tunes on occasions, depending on my mood. In fact, I will sometime use music to elicit certain emotions. I will also use music to gauge what kind of mood I am in.

Ghs

This is known to be fatal to all but Canadians, George, instantly, unless by chance you have the rare sport of genetics that can spare you a grim expiration. This is the 4XL lady singing with the coal miners. It does not get any more psychotic Canucki Maritimer schmaltz than this. If Phil can take this, he can take anything, he would be invincible.

I actually like this. But then I've always been a sucker for sing-alongs with coal miners.

My earlier comment about Anne Murray was a bit misleading. I like some of her music, such as "Snow Bird," but the posted tune did not appeal to me. I listen to my share of schmaltzy tunes on occasions, depending on my mood. In fact, I will sometime use music to elicit certain emotions. I will also use music to gauge what kind of mood I am in.

Ghs

Ghs

Anne Murray was "discovered" by my dad, a quietly passionate but pessimistic patriot. He was watching the Black and White Review, the talent show of the University of New Brunswick, which was being broadcast on our local TV channel. He called me and Ma into the den, saying "Listen to this." It was Anne, then I guess 19 or 20 and a phys ed major (she planned on being a teacher). We had never heard a voice quite like that before. Dad shook his head and said, "What a voice on that girl. She ought to be a big star. Too bad she'll never get anywhere because she's Canadian."

Ghs

Ghs

Anne Murray was "discovered" by my dad, a quietly passionate but pessimistic patriot. He was watching the Black and White Review, the talent show of the University of New Brunswick, which was being broadcast on our local TV channel. He called me and Ma into the den, saying "Listen to this." It was Anne, then I guess 19 or 20 and a phys ed major (she planned on being a teacher). We had never heard a voice quite like that before. Dad shook his head and said, "What a voice on that girl. She ought to be a big star. Too bad she'll never get anywhere because she's Canadian."

Ghs

Ghs

Of her biggest hits I like Snowbird the least. It is just not bearable after the first million listenings. I like my schmaltz a little less whimsical, so my fave is "May I have this Dance"I and "You Needed Me" is OK too.