Objectivist Living: An Oxymoron?

cortes

Ok, just wanted to tweak you a bit.

But, seriously, I have noticed that Objectivists tend to lean heavily toward the cerebral side. While it is certainly possible to find Objectivists who have accomplished heroic things, most seem content merely to espouse an ideology without really living it. Is that unfair?

So let me pose the question: How has Objectivism changed how you live your life? What big choices have you made as an Objectivist that you would have chosen differently before you read Ayn Rand (making an honest allowance for the natural maturation process)?

Can anyone honestly say that they have unleashed their inner Rearden?

I opened the thread.

I'm normally not this hamhanded, but this guy irritated me.

I went to the website in his profile and I still can't say for sure if he's using a pseudonym. At least he has a web presence where he sells books on Amazon. (But he's somewhere around Emeryville, California and Amazon suspended its affiliate program in CA, so there that is.)

He really rubbed me the wrong way. It's like a stranger came into my house unexpectedly, spit on the floor, then said, "I wonder if you people are hygenic." Then, pointing to the spittle, "So what are you going to do about that? Clean it up or just leave it there?"

I'm still irritated and this turkey's person's posts are still under review, but that's no reason to keep OL members from posting.

Sorry folks. The thread's now open. I just didn't want to let a sanctimonious stranger goad people into giving him the attention he seeks so he can get his jollies at our expense. This is a discussion forum, not a troll den.

Michael

> But, seriously, I have noticed that Objectivists tend to lean heavily toward the cerebral side. While it is certainly possible to find Objectivists who have accomplished heroic things, most seem content merely to espouse an ideology without really living it. Is that unfair? [Cortes]

You're really making two separate points. Yes, Oists like those drawn to any philosophical-intellectual system are cerebral, often too focused on thinking rather than acting in general. The second point about living one's values, ideas, ideology is a common -human- problem. Not restricted to OIsts or even to 'eggheads'.