The Torch WSS new avatar

caroljane

This just past year is a hard one to remember. For Canadians like me, the loss of our gallant Jack, the tragedies to Our Game in the deaths of the beautiful Boys of Winter and the blighting of our best brains, the sorrows of the world outside which we must know of, will be always with us as they always are.

To one of my age there is always a special depth, of course. When I saw the flag-draped coffin of Layton I saw that of my father, their essential loud and quiet heroism fused in my mind. When I saw the hope and then the desperate courage and maryrdom of the Syrians, I saw the Holocaust again, my first gradual knowledge of what human beings can do to each other, and my first wondering of what it is to be human.

But I do not see only those things. I see the young new voters in my district. I see my sons, so like the grandfather they never knew, believing the things he believed. I see the Syrian emigres I know, gaunt with grief and anxiety, steadfast unto death.

I see here and now those who can bear to know the unbearable, and keep watch and keep faith and do everything in their power that the torch be not dropped, that neither the scarlet beauty nor the larks' melody ever be forgotten.

They grow not old.

When I saw the hope and then the desperate courage and maryrdom of the Syrians, I saw the Holocaust again, my first gradual knowledge of what human beings can do to each other, and my first wondering of what it is to be human.

You saw what??? Those Syrians you weep for would not hesitate to kill any Jew they could get their hands on.

Ba'al Chatzaf

When I saw the hope and then the desperate courage and maryrdom of the Syrians, I saw the Holocaust again, my first gradual knowledge of what human beings can do to each other, and my first wondering of what it is to be human.
You saw what??? Those Syrians you weep for would not hesitate to kill any Jew they could get their hands on. Ba'al Chatzaf

Slightly paraphrasing your comment on another topic:

How do you know what they'd do? Can you tap into their brain activity?

You saw what??? Those Syrians you weep for would not hesitate to kill any Jew they could get their hands on. Ba'al Chatzaf

Empirical induction from prior incidents. Plus the large crowds of Syrians at kill Israel rallies.

But you are right. There might be three Syrians in Syria of adult age who do not want to kill Jews.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Empirical induction from prior incidents. Plus the large crowds of Syrians at kill Israel rallies.

But you are right. There might be three Syrians in Syria of adult age who do not want to kill Jews.

Ba'al Chatzaf

In the large crowds at prior "long live our Dear Leader Assad" rallies, there might have been three Syrians who did not actually long for him to live and rule forever.