HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It is 11:44 here and I am watching Fox with Trace Atkins singing but the guitar work has a Rolling Stones sound to it. My wife went to bed and we did not pop the cork on my expensive bottle of Champagne. We will both gladly save it for another day. Happy New Year to you!

Peter

Help! I just realized that my First Foot this year was indeed a tall dark man as specified. But he was preceded across the doorstep by his canine companion. Bodie is male but mostly white, and bulldogs are not tall.

Also, he did not bring any food and fuel, on the contrary he came to borrow money.

Och, what can this mean for my luck this year? I don't dare to look it up.

Help! I just realized that my First Foot this year was indeed a tall dark man as specified. But he was preceded across the doorstep by his canine companion. Bodie is male but mostly white, and bulldogs are not tall.

Also, he did not bring any food and fuel, on the contrary he came to borrow money.

Geez...you folks are weird!

First Foot:

In Scottish and Northern English folklore, the first-foot, also known in Manx Gaelic as quaaltagh or qualtagh, is the first person to cross the threshold of a home on New Year's Day and a bringer of good fortune for the coming year.[1][2]

Although it is acceptable in many places for the first-footer to be a resident of the house, they must not be in the house at the stroke of midnight in order to first-foot (thus going out of the house after midnight and then coming back in to the same house is not considered to be first-footing). The first-foot is traditionally a tall, dark-haired male; a female or fair-haired male are in some places regarded as unlucky. In Worcestershire, luck is ensured by stopping the first carol singer who appears and leading him through the house.[citation needed] In Yorkshire it must always be a male who enters the house first, but his fairness is no objection.

The first-foot usually brings several gifts, including perhaps a coin, bread, salt, coal, or a drink (usually whisky), which respectively represent financial prosperity, food, flavour, warmth, and good cheer.[2] In Scotland, first-footing has traditionally been more elaborate than in England,[citation needed] and involving subsequent entertainment.

In a similar Greek tradition, it is believed that the first person to enter the house on New Year's Eve brings either good luck or bad luck. Many households to this day keep this tradition and specially select who enters first into the house. After the first-foot, also called "podariko" (from the root pod-, or foot), the lady of the house serves the guests with Christmas treats or gives them an amount of money to ensure that good luck will come in the New Year.

Geez...you folks are weird!

First Foot:

In Scottish and Northern English folklore, the first-foot, also known in Manx Gaelic as quaaltagh or qualtagh, is the first person to cross the threshold of a home on New Year's Day and a bringer of good fortune for the coming year.[1][2]

Although it is acceptable in many places for the first-footer to be a resident of the house, they must not be in the house at the stroke of midnight in order to first-foot (thus going out of the house after midnight and then coming back in to the same house is not considered to be first-footing). The first-foot is traditionally a tall, dark-haired male; a female or fair-haired male are in some places regarded as unlucky. In Worcestershire, luck is ensured by stopping the first carol singer who appears and leading him through the house.[citation needed] In Yorkshire it must always be a male who enters the house first, but his fairness is no objection.

The first-foot usually brings several gifts, including perhaps a coin, bread, salt, coal, or a drink (usually whisky), which respectively represent financial prosperity, food, flavour, warmth, and good cheer.[2] In Scotland, first-footing has traditionally been more elaborate than in England,[citation needed] and involving subsequent entertainment.

In a similar Greek tradition, it is believed that the first person to enter the house on New Year's Eve brings either good luck or bad luck. Many households to this day keep this tradition and specially select who enters first into the house. After the first-foot, also called "podariko" (from the root pod-, or foot), the lady of the house serves the guests with Christmas treats or gives them an amount of money to ensure that good luck will come in the New Year.

I guess I'm OK then. It doesn't say anything about First Paw. Thanks Adam.

Happy New Year all! Any bets for 2013?? Ha!

~ Shane

I am betting we will share a laugh in 2013. We will laugh at the Mayans.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob,

In defense of the Mayans, that prediction was a long, long time ago. I will, however, join in the laughter at those that bought into it :)

~ Shane

Bob,

In defense of the Mayans, that prediction was a long, long time ago. I will, however, join in the laughter at those that bought into it :smile:

~ Shane

Fair enough. Any culture capable of creating base 20 positional numbers should not be scorned.

Ba'al Chatzaf