Philip Coates

Current Reading

In recent years, my reading interests have shifted more to non-fiction.

Christopher Hitchins' autobiography Hitch 22 arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm only a few pages into and already hooked!!

On another thread Phil asked for suggestions on good Biographical Writing, I have a couple top-of-head ones to put here.

Mr, Clemens and Mark Twain, by Justin Kaplan.

Zelda, by Nancy Milford.

Nicholas and Alexandra, by Robert Massie.

Thanks.

I am currently reading Awareness Through Movement by Moshe Feldenkrais.

Feldenkrais invented/developed what is, in effect, secular yoga (my term for it....). Basically, it is a book about how to move one's body correctly and consciously. As an aging martial artist, I am hoping it will become a form of self-administered physical therapy--and all puns related to same are welcome!

There are 3 new books which have caught my eye but I will not get to read them soon, so I am hoping somebody might do so and report.

1. Robert Harris's new novel, I am a great fan of his, especially Fatherland and the historicals. Pompeii with its engineer hero, should appeal to any Objectivist. And the two Cicero novels, well, rhetorically speaking, words fail me. This one is about business and a corporation so I likely will not get to it soon.

2.Joseph Epstein, Gossip. As an inveterate gossip myself, I appreciate a book which appreciates it.The blurb says it covers the history of gossip from Saint-Simon in the 1600's to Matt Drudge tomorrow. I can see a clever screenwriter make a movie of it, As Mary McCarthy truly said, "all novels are gossip."

3.Charles Murray, "Coming Apart" Another take on the sociopolitical polarization of America, heavily researched. Argues it is a 20% elite tribe vs a 30% masses tribe. Pick a side, guys.