Statement of former Ron Paul staffer

GALTGULCH8

Of course he read them. I have written corporate newsletters. Every word was agonized over by everybody whose name appeared in it, and the CEO was never negligent in reading and personally approving every issue. I have no doubt that Paul disliked and disagreed with much of the offensive content, but he's a politician. The gain in votes and donations was worth it to him.

Carol:

I know I am making a pure leap of faith here, but I can imagine him not reading them. These "sentences" seem completely out of character to Dr. Paul. Serious black intellectuals like Dr. Williams and Thomas Sowell have stated that Dr. Paul is not a racist.

Adam

I accept that he is not a racist, but I can't believe that he was unaware of the racist content. He knew who he hired to write for him. He may have taken a hands, or eyes off approach, but this does not distance him from what was published under his name, in my view.

Of course he read them. I have written corporate newsletters. Every word was agonized over by everybody whose name appeared in it, and the CEO was never negligent in reading and personally approving every issue. I have no doubt that Paul disliked and disagreed with much of the offensive content, but he's a politician. The gain in votes and donations was worth it to him.

Carol:

I know I am making a pure leap of faith here, but I can imagine him not reading them. These "sentences" seem completely out of character to Dr. Paul. Serious black intellectuals like Dr. Williams and Thomas Sowell have stated that Dr. Paul is not a racist.

Adam

I accept that he is not a racist, but I can't believe that he was unaware of the racist content. He knew who he hired to write for him. He may have taken a hands, or eyes off approach, but this does not distance him from what was published under his name, in my view.

Carol:

That was the reason that I posted the story above because this is the first time that I have heard him accept responsibility in his own voice. Prior to that he appeared dismissive as in the CNN piece.

Under
respondeat superior
(rehs-pond-dee-at superior) n. Latin for "let the master answer," a key doctrine in the law of agency, which provides that a principal (employer) is responsible for the actions of his/her/its agent (employee) in the "course of employment." Thus, an agent who signs an agreement to purchase goods for his employer in the name of the employer can create a binding contract between the seller and the employer. Another example: if a delivery truck driver negligently hits a child in the street, the company for which the driver works will be liable for the injuries. (See:
agency
principal
agent
negligence
),

Dr. Paul is responsible for every word and every injury, so his accepting responsibility, publicly, means a lot to me.

Adam