and he shall reign forever and ever (Handel, that is)

caroljane

The CBC is showing Messiah with the Montreal Symphony performing in Notre Dame Basilica. Kent Nagano is conducting. It is the best one I have ever seen. I don't recognize any of the soloists except for one (from their faces) but I think this is maybe an old rebroadcast. The choristers are fantastic, and there is joy and awe in their faces, as there always probably and is on mine when I hear this greatest of oratorios.

My favourite recording is the Beecham one, but this musical miracle is just impossible to ruin. When it's risen to as in this performance, the pleasure of the audience is almost painful.

Scene: Fish Hamble Street, Dublin 1742

Colonel M'Garry: My lord! Well met, I had not thought to see you here!

Baron Ocashin: Colonel, your servant, sir! I had thought we might meet at the covert today. But the ladies...

CM: Yes, my good lady could not rest, but that we secured seats for this thing of Master Handel's, and bloody dear seats they were...

BO: Dear! You would not believe what I had to give that upstart Fitzkevin for two seats, and him but a barber surgeon. People do not know their places... where is my seat?

CM: Who can tell, in such a crush Egad, I feel naked without my sword.

BO: My poor Caroline is very unhappy without her crinoline I can tell you. Between us, she looks much better without it, but there is no telling her that, it is all fashion with the ladies...oh, here they come. How long are we in for, do you think?

CM: Not too bad, three hours perhaps...I say, our diva has not left off her crinoline for space's sake! But she has left off most of her bodice, haw, haw!

BO: Look at old Handel scowling at her. They say he gave up writing opera because he just could not handle those sopranos.

CMM (leering) So I have heard.

BO: Well, starting up--must find Caro. Quick one?

CM: If you insist--uuurgh, damn fine brandy. Will there be an entr'acte? Hope so.

BO: Hope so old boy. Toodle-oo.

Short while later

Colonel, Baron and others:

Jesus Christ! Did you hear that?

> The CBC is showing Messiah with the Montreal Symphony performing in Notre Dame Basilica.

I love Christmas music generally, but particularly Handel.

Water Music, Music from the Royal Fireworks, The Messiah.

A sense of grandeur.

> The CBC is showing Messiah with the Montreal Symphony performing in Notre Dame Basilica.

I love Christmas music generally, but particularly Handel.

Water Music, Music from the Royal Fireworks, The Messiah.

A sense of grandeur.

Beethoven agreed with you. He called Handel "the master of us all...the greatest composer who ever lived. I would uncover my head and kneel before his tomb." Uncle Ludwig could be grumpy at times, but he knew the value of a swoon.

When Messiah debuted, Dublin was a "Paris of the North" with a highly sophisticated musical community. In the high baroque era generally, works later considered masterpieces and classics were as often as not, dismissed or ignored on their initial performance. The Messiah premiere however was a smash hit. One audience member, a local clergyman, was so overcome by Susanna Cibber's singing of the "He was despised" aria, that he leapt to his feet and cried, "Woman, for this be all thy sins forgiven thee!"

Daunce, I hadn't known those historical sidelights. Cool. Thanks!

(While I like some other classical music, I like anything baroque: Vivaldi, Telemann, Purcell, Bach's Brandenburg concertos -as well as, in my limited exposure, High Renaissance.)

Daunce, I hadn't known those historical sidelights. Cool. Thanks!

(While I like some other classical music, I like anything baroque: Vivaldi, Telemann, Purcell, Bach's Brandenburg concertos -as well as, in my limited exposure, High Renaissance.)

You're very welcome, Phil. That era is a favourite with me too. The Brandenburg concerti, plus Mozart, were the first classical music that I really "heard", except for the church music I loved but did not know was classical at the time.

I remember a quote attributed to Handel when he completed Messiah (this is from memory so probably inaccurate). He said that when composing it "Methinks I saw the Heavens open, and the Great God Himself."

That was sort of how I felt, first really experiencing great music.