Backlighting

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Ron Paul ad - EXCELLENT 30 SECOND AD - EXCELLENT

Excellent. Thanks for posting.

Has all the elements a successful ad should have.

My marketing professors called it AIDA

Attention- grabs it

Interest- in product/ service/ person

Desire-to have it

Action-buy, or in Paul's case, vote for him

"I'm Ron Paul and I approve this message."

That is so funny, given that he has such a considerate style himself.

"I'm Ron Paul and I approve this message."

That is so funny, given that he has such a considerate style himself.

John...FYI:

That "tag line," final line that you made reference to, is a legal requirement when the "ad" comes directly from the candidates campaign money.

However, I get your point.

Adam

That "tag line," final line that you made reference to, is a legal requirement when the "ad" comes directly from the candidates campaign money.

However, I get your point.

Yes I know. I was referring to the video style in general and the curious fact that Ron should approve of it.

His supporters have attempted to saturate Iowa, then New Hampshire and South Carolina with his superbrochure sent to identified caucus attendees and primary voters. In addition phone banks working around the clock to contact voters.

Chris Matthews had the audacity to say that if Ron Paul wins in Iowa that since the Republican Party establishment will not let him become the nominee, that Iowa will NOT COUNT!

This just stimulates the Ron Paul supporters to work even harder and become more dedicated to the cause.

see: www.dailypaul.com

www.ronpaul2012.com

As I have stated on OL ad nauseum, my two biggest hang ups with him are his foreign policy and puritanical 10th amendment defense. Yes, the 10th MAY be good IF there is not also tyranny at the State level. The problem with Paul is that he sees Obamacare as wrong and unlawful yet he has no problem with Romneycare, strictly because it is adjudicated at the State rather than the Federal government. Oppression is oppression whether the tyranny comes from one or many, or whether the tyranny comes from the city, county, State, or Federal government. Paul is misunderstanding what the original intent of the 10th amendment was.

As I have stated on OL ad nauseum, my two biggest hang ups with him are his foreign policy and puritanical 10th amendment defense. Yes, the 10th MAY be good IF there is not also tyranny at the State level. The problem with Paul is that he sees Obamacare as wrong and unlawful yet he has no problem with Romneycare, strictly because it is adjudicated at the State rather than the Federal government. Oppression is oppression whether the tyranny comes from one or many, or whether the tyranny comes from the city, county, State, or Federal government. Paul is misunderstanding what the original intent of the 10th amendment was.

Blackhorse:

What is your understanding of the "intent" of the 10th Amendment?

https://tenthamendmentcenter.com/ <<<<Are you aware of this excellent website and organization?

Adam

My understanding, from reading the Federalist and anti-Federalist Papers, is that it was intended as a check on Federal abuse of power akin to the Bill of Rights in that it was meant to keep inviolate the freedom of the citizenry at the level of State if the Federal government overstepped its prescribed powers .In essence, It was meant to keep the Fed from a consolidation of too much centralized power. The problem with it is that it has morphed into something similar to the Confederate States of America, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is a two edged sword. For instance, it allows (at least it should if the original intent of the law is followed) States to have medical marijuana laws, but can also curse people with things like Romneycare. As I have said before, the US Constitution is an amazing document and light years ahead of its time - such a meeting of great minds - however it is not an airtight document and the Founders could not forsee all the abuse and complexity that the future would bring.

My understanding, from reading the Federalist and anti-Federalist Papers, is that it was intended as a check on Federal abuse of power akin to the Bill of Rights in that it was meant to keep inviolate the freedom of the citizenry at the level of State if the Federal government overstepped its prescribed powers .In essence, It was meant to keep the Fed from a consolidation of too much centralized power. The problem with it is that it has morphed into something similar to the Confederate States of America, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is a two edged sword. For instance, it allows (at least it should if the original intent of the law is followed) States to have medical marijuana laws, but can also curse people with things like Romneycare. As I have said before, the US Constitution is an amazing document and light years ahead of its time - such a meeting of great minds - however it is not an airtight document and the Founders could not forsee all the abuse and complexity that the future would bring.

OK.

I found this article on original intent and the original intent of original intent to be really mind opening.

http://constitution.i2i.org/sources-for-constitutional-scholars/founders-hermeneutic/

Selene, looks like an informative read....I'll delve into it, thanks. BTW, my parents both met Mr. Natalson.

Interesting coincidence...

What did your parents do?

And, of course, what do you do for a living, or, are you a student? If so. what level?

I am sure I may have asked this before, but it helps me understand where someone is coming from with there posts.

Adam

My Dad was his son's 7th grade teacher in Missoula. That would have been...2000-ish? He ran for governor of Montana around that time if my memory serves me correctly. I remember my Dad telling me that the Natalsons taught their kids Latin, which I thought was pretty cool.

I am a pharmacy technician. Though I fancy myself a self educated scholar in Objectivism, economics, US History, psychology, humor, and of course chemistry. I call home the Flathead Valley. Beautiful place.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/12/the-story-behind-ron-pauls-racist-newsletters/250338/

Although critical of Ron Paul, this article from The Atlantic at least displays an understanding of the story behind Paul's newsletters, namely, the Rockwell/Rothbard connection. The articles in question reek of Lew Rockwell, and I have no doubt that he wrote them. Paul probably didn't pay much attention to the content, and that was dumb of him.

Ghs

http://www.theatlant...letters/250338/

Although critical of Ron Paul, this article from The Atlantic at least displays an understanding of the story behind Paul's newsletters, namely, the Rockwell/Rothbard connection. The articles in question reek of Lew Rockwell, and I have no doubt that he wrote them. Paul probably didn't pay much attention to the content, and that was dumb of him.

Ghs

George:

Yes he was quite foolish. I have known about these e-mails newsletters since the mid 1990's and they frankly do not trouble me that much. My understanding is that it was Lew who wrote them.

One issue is that Dr. Paul raised over one million [$1, 000, 000] dollars through subscriptions.

A second issue is that the American Nazi Party put the newletter on its endorsment list.

Finally, his rather infantile walk off from the CNN studio yesterday makes him look like he is afraid of confronting the issue.

He should simple state, I am not a racist, I am not a ________. You know it and I know it. Finally, yes, I should have paid more attention to the newsletter, but I did not.

And when they ask it again, state exactly the same way as long as they keep bringing it up.

What is truly interesting, is who is bringing this up now and why because we all knew about these newsletters for over a decade. Wolf Blitzed brought them up in 2008.

Adam

http://www.theatlant...letters/250338/

Ghs

George:

Yes he was quite foolish. I have known about these e-mails since the mid 1990's and they frankly do not trouble me that much. My understanding is that it was Lew who wrote them.

One issue is that Dr. Paul raised over one million [$1, 000, 000] dollars through subscriptions.

A second issue is that the American Nazi Party put the newletter on its endorsment list.

Finally, his rather infantile walk off from the CNN studio yesterday makes him look like he is afraid of confronting the issue.

He should simple state, I am not a racist, I am not a ________. You know it and I know it. Finally, yes, I should have paid more attention to the newsletter, but I did not.

And when they ask it again, state exactly the same way as long as they keep bringing it up.

What is truly interesting, is who is bringing this up now and why because we all knew about these newsletters for over a decade. Wolf Blitzed brought them up in 2008.

Adam

I posted two comments earlier today on the Atlantic page:

There is no doubt in my mind that Lew Rockwell wrote most, and probably all, of the newsletters in question. Similar remarks appeared in the "Rothbard/Rockwell Report," and Rockwell published a widely circulated op-ed in which he defended the Rodney King beating on the basis of "time preference." Rockwell had credibility because of his association with Murray Rothbard (whom I knew for years), so my guess is that Ron Paul trusted Rockwell because of this affiliation. That was a mistake, granted, but it was a mistake that many libertarians made at that time. One needs to know something about the libertarian movement at that time to understand all this, but suffice it to say that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ron Paul did not closely follow what was being published under his name. - Ghs

Any attempt to portray Ron Paul as a racist or anti-Semite is garbage, pure and simple. But the writer of the Atlantic article at least took the time to understand the Rockwell/Rothbard connection. After Rothbard became disillusioned with the Libertarian Party, he teamed up with Rockwell, and they did indeed engage in an "outreach" program to "rednecks" (in effect), while dubbing themselves "paleolibertarians." Unfortunately, both men had a tendency to shoot from the hip, sometimes making comments that they regarded as humorous, in a Menckenesque sort of way -- remarks that typically look much worse when wrenched from their original context. I was far from the only libertarian at the time who viewed this shift to the cultural far-right as ill-advised, even moronic, but that's what happened. It is a shame that Ron Paul permitted himself to be used as a figurehead, but the worst he was guilty of was naivety. There are worse crimes. - Ghs

Ghs

Agreed.

George: Who do you think is behind this push about the newsletters now? Romney? The Republican "establishment"?

This stuff has been around a long long time.

Adam

Agreed.

George: Who do you think is behind this push about the newsletters now? Romney? The Republican "establishment"?

Adam

The flak is coming from all sides. For example, this morning the controversy dominated discussions on both the Fox and MSNBC morning programs. On the Morning Joe Show, for example, Al Sharpton -- of all people -- attacked Paul for his supposed anti-Semitism, after being prompted by Joe Scarborough, who had the nerve to describe himself as a "libertarian." For Sharpton to attack another person for anti-Semitism is like -- well, I had better not use that old saying, lest I be accused of racism, so let me just say that it involves pots and kettles. 8-)

Ghs

Agreed.

Adam

The flak is coming from all sides. For example, this morning the controversy dominated discussions on both the Fox and MSNBC morning programs. On the Morning Joe Show, for example, Al Sharpton -- of all people -- attacked Paul for his supposed anti-Semitism, after being prompted by Joe Scarborough, who had the nerve to describe himself as a "libertarian." For Sharpton to attack another person for anti-Semitism is like -- well, I had better not use that old saying, lest I be accused of racism, so let me just say that it involves pots and kettles. 8-)

Ghs

Shades of Jesse Jackson and Heimie Town.

Ba'al Chatzaf