Judge Napolitano: Are You Owned by the Government?

George H. Smith

I do not have to use the third (3rd) definition to do that...correct?

The third definition is a package deal. Is it their disadvantage or it not being based on merit that is the essential characteristic?

Now can I value a brain surgeon over a hockey player without looking down on the hockey player?

The phrase "to look down on" implies an emotional attachment. Something like contempt. I didn't mean to imply such an emotion when I classified certain groups of natives as primitive.

John:

Got it.

Therefore, you would modify your statement below from Post #21 supra?

Is there anybody who doesn't look down upon some people or groups of people?

Adam

Got it.

I'm struggling to recall how I actually meant it. Anthony brought the term in and at the time I didn't pay any attention to it might being necessary to separate the emotional connotation from the rest of the meaning.

That statement by itself is probably true in both meanings - just not with primitive cultures in my case.

To clarify what my stance is: In all three conflicts I'm siding with the more advanced groups, but in the case of South Africa I admit very limited knowledge. Only in the case of the middle east conflict I feel some level of emotions - and even in that case I reserve most of my contempt for the Muslim's Western leftist enablers.

In case of primitive cultures outside a conflict (natives in the jungles of south america, for example), I'm indifferent. It's a bit like thinking about fascinating animal species. I don't "look down" on animals either, no matter how primitive.

Got it.

I'm struggling to recall how I actually meant it. Anthony brought the term in and at the time I didn't pay any attention to it might being necessary to separate the emotional connotation from the rest of the meaning.

That statement by itself is probably true in both meanings - just not with primitive cultures in my case.

To clarify what my stance is: In all three conflicts I'm siding with the more advanced groups, but in the case of South Africa I admit very limited knowledge. Only in the case of the middle east conflict I feel some level of emotions - and even in that case I reserve most of my contempt for the Muslim's Western leftist enablers.

In case of primitive cultures outside a conflict (natives in the jungles of south america, for example), I'm indifferent. It's a bit like thinking about fascinating animal species. I don't "look down" on animals either, no matter how primitive.

That works.

It is a pet peeve of mine that the term discrimination and racism are used as politically correct clubs to silence discourse in my country.

So, I always try to check on the intent of a meaning in a phrase or word.

Angela has been referring to this issue on another thread.

As a teacher of debate and argumentation, the definition of terms is critical to critical thinking! Not to mention redundent to an informed mind.

Adam